What size wheels do you need for off road CTs

General Discussion, tips and questions and answer on Camper Trailers. Buy and sell below in Vehicles for Sale.

What size wheels do you need for off road CTs

Postby megabuff » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:19 am

hi all, what do you recon is the smallest dia wheels you can have for off road?

does placing the axel under the springs on an on road CT give you enough clearance?

I have seen a mid 80s coleman with good canvas and a very good annex good interior and passable exterior for $3300 but I wonder wehter it will be high enough.

Also cant go too big on the wheels cause the wheel arches arnt that big! Standard wheels are
12"

Anyone got a rough idea ho much you are gunna pay for new hubs and bearing to suit bigger wheels.
megabuff
Boy Scout

Re: What size wheels do you need for off road CTs

Postby Pauly » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:14 am

Theres more to being offroad capable than just your wheels. First up your axle will probably be around 40mm. I cant remember what size wheels can go on a 40mm axle but theres is maximums for all axles.
The chassis is the next problem area. It would be built for onroad stuff so it probably wont be very heavy and possibly just c section.

The flex's involved with even minor offroad will break a lightly built onroader, its just a matter of time.

You have to think how offroad to you want to get. It may be an option to build a new chassis and suspension.
Pauly
Post Machine!

Postby megabuff » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:07 am

hi Paul

thanks for the feedback mate.

it make sense what you are saying.

So one thing to look for is that the main chasse rails are RHS rather that just channel section?

Is that what you are saying?
Last edited by megabuff on Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
megabuff
Boy Scout

Postby freerocketman1 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:50 pm

hi megabuff :hello: i have a 79jayco on road & i have taken it onto the sand at straddie & befor that i had a chesney pop up & did the same thing. the only problem i had with the sand was height. under slinging the axel will make a difference also maybe a set of mags for a wider foot print, tyre size will depend on the wheel arches mine had 13's but now 14's just for a little more height. as for going bush the best sugestion i could make is find a good camp spot as a base camp where you dont have to take the camper over the real rough stuff. even some of the jayco's & alike [off road models ] can break.
just my opinion the colman's arnt a bad camper just make sure if it has a fridge get a gas certificate if you live in qld also a roof vent as they can get hot inside in summer.
freerocketman1
Blatant Padder

Postby steve80 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:04 pm

Hi Megabuff I had a Jayco camper and did what you are thinking I underslung the axle and went from 13's to 14's and this model camper that was usually quite low had offroad clearance after it, Still I wouldnt take it offroad to the extreme as already stated ya could break it but if ya just after more clearance then its the way to go.
steve80
Captain Camping

Postby megabuff » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:59 pm

hey Fellas

thanks for the replies.

Generally how hard is it to go for the bigger wheels? like do you go to the wreckers and get some early holden hubs and change the geargings to suit?

what sort of money are you looking at to do this?
megabuff
Boy Scout

Postby freerocketman1 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:24 pm

i went to the wreckers & got mine around $100 for 3 thats rims & tyres all new :grin:
if you take a wheel to a trailer spare parts place they can tell you what type stud pattern it is that way you wont have to change anything.
freerocketman1
Blatant Padder

Postby steve80 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:37 pm

As Free said you need to determine the stud pattern you have and you'll probably find that you can get wheels whether it be 14' or whatever to suit your needs with the axle reversed should give you a lot better clearance. Just keep in mind that if you raise the height of it your annexe will not reach the ground it will probably be too short.
steve80
Captain Camping

Return to Camper Trailers