Camping up the East Coast HELP!

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Camping up the East Coast HELP!

Postby new2oz » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:40 pm

Hello everyone,

I am very new to Oz so I have decided to camp along the east coast from Sydney along up for 10 days with my dad and 2 mates of mine. None of us have ever done anything like this before so we're all a bit lost on how to go about it. We've rented a campervan without a shower/toilet so we will need to get camp sites with these amenities. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how far up the coast we should go on a 10 day trip? We will be making a return trip, so that's something else to consider. My friend really wants to make it up to the Whitsundays, but I'm not sure if this is possible. Thanks in advance!
new2oz

Re: Camping up the East Coast HELP!

Postby Blue Bravo » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:21 pm

How far do you want to drive each day and do you want to so things like swim, sightsee etc. If so then Whitsundays are out of the question. Suggest you get a map and measure the distance then work out how many k's you would have to do each day to get there and back. In 10 days you could probably comfortably get to about the Sunshine Coast and back again. Get an accommodation guide from NRMA which lists all the caravan parks. If thinking about the time after xmas and january you are probably too late now to get any accommodation on the coast. You could try to plan a trip via the inland route.
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby teabags » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:17 pm

Sydney to Whitsundays in 10 days would mean driving over 400k's per day, straight up the highway. You wouldn't see anything but the road. Pacific highway bypasses just about everything so be prepared to make plenty of detours.
There is so much to see between Sydney and Brisbane you won't be able to cover it all. The distance you will be able to cover depends on how you like to travel. Do you want to see as much as possible in the shortest time? Do you want a full on time or a more relaxed trip. Do you want to be able to find somewhere nice and spend extra time exploring in detail?
Last time some friends wanted to know our itinerary fro a trip my answer was "We're heading north, or northwest, or maybe west. We'll keep going till it's time to go home".
Provided you are not travelling during school holidays you shouldn't have any trouble getting a site for you campervan. During holidays you will need to book ahead.
Happy touring
Alan
Life's greatest tragedy is to live poor and die rich!
teabags

Postby Poodle Jewel » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:51 am

If you don`t want to drive,drive,drive,i would pick three or four places you really would like to see and plan your trip that way,teabags is right ,if you stick to the highway you will see nothing worthwhile.What do you like beaches,bush or other things of interest?
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby garbage » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:00 pm

If you're travelling outside school holidays (before mid-December or after the end of January), I would keep things open and not book anything. Just put together a list of places you want to see and go through them one by one, then when it gets dark, stay the night. Some places worth visiting are below and I've included how far they are from Sydney:

Nelson Bay (2.5 hours)
South West Rocks (5.5 hours)
Byron Bay (9 hours)
Surfers Paradise / Gold Coast (10 hours)
Noosa (12 hours+)

While the Whitsundays is really beautiful (Whitehaven Beach especially!), I think it's a bit overly ambitious for a 10 day trip. You could go to Hyams Beach in the Jervis Bay area (2.5 hours south of Sydney). This beach is regularly rated second only to Whitehaven Beach as the nicest beach in Australia.

If you're travelling DURING school holidays, you'll probably find most of the coastal caravan parks will be fully booked, even for basic unpowered sites. There may still be availability in the ones away from the coast or along highways.

Anyway, why go north? The south coast is nicer in my opinion - Stanwell Tops, Austinmer, Kiama, Jervis Bay, Batemans Bay, Narooma, Merimbula, Eden.
garbage
Camping Veteran

Return to Camping Tips and Locations