Subaru Outback?!?!?!?

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Subaru Outback?!?!?!?

Postby KnP » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:56 pm

Has anyone taken their Outback 'outback'?!?

As camping newbies, I know we should probably start off slow and just go to 'easy access' camp sites, but we really want to see places in Australia that no one usually see's. We have a Subaru Outback and have taken it into the Watagan Mountains (it was one of the scariest moments of my life :*** ) My question is, should we upgrade and get an actual 4WD as opposed to an AWD (which is what the Outback is) or will the Subaru suffice for now.

Pete is looking for any excuse to buy himself a big beast :lol: :lol: :lol:
Where there is a will, there is a way!

Kate n Pete
KnP
Boy Scout

Re: Subaru Outback?!?!?!?

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:12 pm

There's not a great deal of places you shouldn't be able to go with a half decent road car, like the Outback. Unless you want take the long way round, so to speak.

But I spose, if you want to go bush camping away from everybody, a proper 4x4 does come in handy cause at the top of most really rough tracks, is a great camping spot 8)

And the rough track will deter your average camper so your chances of solitude increase :armsup

AS an avid 4x4'r myself, I so go the beast if you can afford it :mrgreen:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Blue Bravo » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:18 pm

The Outback will get you to most places except if you are looking at remote camping. Suggest you stick to it unless you find that the places you want to go to require a 4x4 or you need soemthing bigger to carry all the camping gear you will acquire thinking it will come in handy. :grin:
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Malcur » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:45 pm

Hi KnP,

I was in a similar situation as yourselves. I bought a Subaru Forester several years ago as my introduction to bush driving. We went to quite a lot of 4wd tracks, including a 4wd training course with "real" 4wd vehicles. Even the instructor remarked on how capable the car was. It never let us down. However, I also yearned for a "proper" 4wd and after buying a camper trailer, decided to upgrade to a Toyota Prado. I found the difference quite amazing. The Prado has a good low-range which the Suby did not have, and that makes quite a difference on hilly terrain. Also the tyres that are available for the Prado are much more substantial than those for the Suby, which gives me a much stronger level of comfort when on tough tracks (I am referring to the likelihood of flat tyres). Lastly, the Prado is much larger & can take much more luggage as well as tow the CT with much more in reserve.

I don't know if this is what you want to hear, but I have never regretted trading up from the Suby, even though I thoroughly enjoyed that car while I had it.

Mal
Camper Trailer owner!!
Malcur
Captain Camping

Postby Beagle » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:12 am

I have cahnged from a Subie Outback to a Pajero this year and noticed the difference. The first reason was the load on the Subie with the campertrailer was too great as far as load on rear suspension and pulling 1 tonne of camper trailer. With the diesel Pajero the trips have been much easier. I think if I had still had the the Subie last holiday I would have ended up stuck down at the Beach in the Abercrombie NP. To pull the trailer back up the mountain would have been a great strain. On top of this is ground clearances. Although the Pajero is standard, I have much better clearances.
Beagle
Captain Camping

Postby Poodle Jewel » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:12 am

While i was waiting to get my roof rack put on ,i was reading a 4wd mag,they were doing comparisons on different vehicles and the Subaru outback and forrester were mentioned,the comment was,excellent car but dissappointing when doing real 4wdriving,they also mentioned the cover over the sump? in some of them are plastic and got damaged on rougher roads.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby HGMonaro » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:11 am

I too had an Outback and traded up to a 'real' 4WD (Prado) to tow our wind-up camper. The size and weight of our camper was too close to the Subi's maximum abilities and I like to have a bit in reserve both for safety and comfortable travel. An Outback (or Forester) doesn't have that much less ground clearance than a std Prado/pathfinder/Pajerio but they do have poor approach/departure angles and the road orientated tyres, as noted above, will be the weak link along with no real low range gearing. The other factor is their 'wading' depth (for water crossings) which will stop you going places other can.

I agree with BB, see how you go and when it starts impeding your trips, trade up. A benefit of keeping it is you don't have to put up with a 4WD for the 95% of the time your running around not on holiday.

Nige.
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby KnP » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:15 pm

Thanks so much for the informative reply posts everyone :+ :+ :+ what you have all written makes a hell of a lot of sense, I will get Pete to have a checkers of what you have all written.

I think we will stick with the Outback for the time being and when we upgrade we will get an actual 4WD. He will offload his car on to me anyways and get himself a beast.

I'd like to eventually get a CT so what you are all saying about towing capacities is def food for thought.

Kate
Where there is a will, there is a way!

Kate n Pete
KnP
Boy Scout

Postby Otto » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:44 pm

I did extensive touring and camping in a Forester, and except for the new Forester models there are no difference in road clearance between the Forester and Outback. I took mine in snow and mud and sand and rocks, and I never got stuck.

I think there are more important issues:
1. Driving skills, you can get stuck in anything if you dont know how to drive.
2. Fuel Capacity - I find the 60l tanks a real problem in the outback (the area, not the car).
3. Where do you want to go? I camp mostly in the Alpine regions and Western NSW, and very very rarely NEED a AWD.
4. Do you buy a new vehicle for your monthly camping trip, and sacrifice the ease of city/town driving of the Subaru, which you do every day?
5. The Subaru has the best safety ratings. How important is that for you?

I have now my second Forester (XT Premium 09), and the only reason why I would choose another car for camping is due to the Forester being a tad small.
Otto
Camping King

Postby Jo&Kev » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:36 am

We bought our 60 Series Landcruiser when we left Sydney and moved to the country. Having recently done a 4200km in the old girl I have one story to share that may help.

We were camping in the Town of Seventeen Seventy and found a 4WD track through Deepwater NP while exploring. We had a look at the map and thought 'cool - nice way to head down to Bundaberg.' Being an ever cautious sort of chap I stopped of at the ranger station and asked the ranger what the road was like. His first question - what sort of 4WD do you have. I pointed to the Cruiser. 'You will be fine in that' he said and we had a bit of a chat. He said that the 'smaller 4WD's and AWD's' often get stuck at the Agnes Water end of the track.

I reckon that most of the time you would get through there in a Forester or similar, but if the track had deeper ruts or bigger ridges it may well get stuck. The higher clearance and longer, wider wheel base of bigger 4WD's makes the world of difference on some tracks. I think in a smaller 4WD it would be a lot more work doing the actual drive down that track. In the Cruiser it was put it in to 4WD and enjoy the drive.

From memory the track was about 10, maybe 15km and it was one of the highlights of the trip. Being an ever cautious chap we would have most likely taken the rangers advice and not gone through there if we had been in a Forester and missed seeing a truly spectacular coastal national park.

If you have the Forester to 'see things' you can't in a 2WD, you may want to consider the big beast option.

Kev
Our blog - with bigger pics!
http://actnswcamping.blogspot.com/
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Return to Gear Guide