Hi from Penrith

Come on in and tell us a little bit about yourself, your community, opinions, interests and ideas. Comments and tips are always welcome consider this social networking for the rest of us.

Hi from Penrith

Postby missy » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:34 pm

Hey everyone.

I am currently discussing with my boyfriend if we are going to go camping at the end of the year, well next month anyway! I have camped ONCE before, with school, in tents and everything. I can't remember if we had toilet/water facilities but l didn't do too bad.

We have a couple of issues:

1. We don't know where to go... obviously not a LONG drive away from Penrith, probably EDIT: 4-5 hours max. For around 3-4 nights.

2. Transportation. Neither of us have a 4WD, but l do have a toyota hilux ute, would this be adequate?

3. We have just been given permission to borrow my parents tent, which apparently can fit a double blow up bed. (this is not an issue, just thought l'd throw it in there)

4. I have no idea what to take, like food, how to store it. Also what other things we need to take...

5. This will sound like a dumb question l'm sure (lol) but what do you do when you go camping? I know theres bushwalking... but is there anything else?

6. Any warnings we should know about?

Thanks everyone, sorry about all the questions, just wanted to do my research rather than diving straight into it.
missy
Camping King

Re: Hi from Penrith

Postby Troyk » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:32 pm

Welcome Missy.

Can't help you with the camping location.

On the gear requirements;
* I take it you have figured out you need a air pump for the air bed;
* What do you plan to cook on, do you have a gas stove;
* What are you using for lighting?
* Do you have chairs, tables?
* plan to take plenty lof water, a lot of places the water is unsuitable for drinking.

There are a lot of places to go that only require a 2wd so dont worry about the 4wd.

Don't worry it is pretty straight forward, if you want to post what you have we can help with the missing items perhaps.

Just fire away. :mrgreen:
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby Troyk » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:35 pm

And you will also need to think about shade being summer. :cheers
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk

Postby missy » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:55 pm

Will do, l will edit this post when l find out. I'll have to ask the parentals, and right now they are both tired from painting today so l'll pick a better time to ask and get back to you.

I know my dad has a camp oven, thats about all l know. I think they have an air bed, l'm not entirely sure.

Do l need to book? Are there places around where booking isn't required? Only because l think l may have left it too late to book during the two weeks off at chrissy.

EDIT: how much water exactly? I have an esky type water thing which holds only 2.5 litres. I'm assuming this isn't enough considering the average person needs to drink 2 litres a day!

EDIT: I am enquiring at Jervis Bay camping and cabins.. they only have unpowered sites for the days we are going down (which is to be expected seeing that we are going down just after chrissy but before new years)...
missy
Camping King

Postby missy » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:41 pm

I thought l would post up a new reply.

I asked them and they have the following:

* Blow up bed with pump
* electric lantern which can be powered via car lighter
* gas cooktop
* table and two fold up chairs
* picnic set (plates, cutlery etc)
* tub to wash up in
* two man tent
* torches
* sleeping bags

Just wondering what else we would need. We are going to hopefully go to jervis bay, l have contacted the owners and they say there are free sites for the days we will be going but they are only unpowered sites. I know we have to plan our meals in advance, and buy meat as we go, with ice in an esky. We know the Nowra area pretty well which is close by so thats not an issue. Just wondering if there is anything else? Thanks for your help.
missy
Camping King

Postby cokebottle » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:34 pm

Welcome to the forum from from another "Penriff" person :*** I grew up in Penrith & later moved to the mountains (but now work in Penrith), did heaps of camping in the mountains as a kid, my first camping trip equipment consisted of an old doona, a few tins of baked beans, a few Sui min dried noodles, a can opener & a fork and a spoon ::()

I got back into camping about 2 1/2 years ago, bought a $99 tent from Super Cheap Auto, borrowed a gas bottle & bbq, had 3 sleeping bags & a couple of blankets, a few tins of food - borrowed an inflatable bed & bought a few thin foam bed rolls, then took my 4 kids (3, 5, 7 & 10) camping to Glenbrook national Park, we had a ball!

Since then we have lay-buyed & bought more equipment etc, now have a 12 person tent, tarp, gas stove, 3 air beds, cast iron cookware etc etc, now we are pretty well setup.

Been unpowered camping at lake Munmorah National park, Middlerock van park, Mudgee Riverside van park & Gulgong van park & next weekend my fiancee & I are going to River Island resort in the Southern Highlands, again on an unpowered campsite.

I find the best thing to do before every trip is to write a list of everything you need to take, below is my list:

Sleeping bags
bread
Hats
Gas stove / stand
Deb potato
Jumpers
Torches
Canned potatoes
Shorts
Chairs
Canned corn
Undies
Toilet paper
Canned carrots
Shoes
Soap
Onions
Thongs/sandals
Toothbrushes/toothpaste
Eggs
Shirts
Billy can
Bacon
Pants
Frying pan
Peanut butter
Bowls
Long life milk
Plates
Soy milk
Can opener
Coffee
Tongs/oven mit/scraper
Sugar
Knives & forks/spoons
Pepper
Aeroguard
Sauce
Mozzie repellents
Garlic
Rope
Salad mix
Tent
Sausages
Dishwashing liquid
Baked beans
Towells
Chips etc
Water bottles
Chocolates
Big water bottle
Wine
Cups
Cheese/Halumi?
Wine glasses (plastic)
Beetroot
Sunscreen
Tuna
Beach umbrella
Herbs
Tea towell
Chilli beans
Ice bricks
Butter
Esky
Spray oil
Cd player
Olive oil
pillows
Potatoes
Blow-up mattressess
Soft drink
Ground sheet
Glad wrap
Paper towells
Aluminim foil
Matches

Bearing in mind we usually have 5 people when my fiancee & I go, 2 adults & 3 kids, or if I take my kids, 1 adult & 4 kids :roll:

Michael
cokebottle
Blatant Padder

Postby missy » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:43 pm

Hey Michael, thanks heaps for that list! That'll be a lifesaver l'm sure!

On a side note - where abouts in penrith do you work? I love in St Clair but work at Penrith too.
missy
Camping King

Postby Blue Bravo » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:27 pm

Welcome to the forum. First thing you and boyfriend must do is get used to putting up the tent. Get it out in the backyard and put it up and down until you get the hang of it. This will save a lot of angst when you get to your site. You know you need to eat, sleep, clean up etc. so start putting things together in one spot and make sure you can fit it in to your vehicle. The ute should be great for that.
Dried and canned foods are the go as well as long life milk.
Each time you go camping the easier it becomes. Have a great time :grin:
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby missy » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:29 pm

Blue Bravo wrote:Welcome to the forum. First thing you and boyfriend must do is get used to putting up the tent. Get it out in the backyard and put it up and down until you get the hang of it.\

My dad suggested that too - also for any damages to the tent you can get it repaired beforehand.

I'm looking at that list again and l'm not sure how all of that will fit in the ute but l'm sure we will manage!

How many litres of water will we need?
missy
Camping King

Postby Jo&Kev » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:13 am

Hey Missy

We used to be up your way before I started working in Canberra. Even season ticket holders at Panthers.

The water solution is fairly easy. Pop into the local supermarket and buy one (or a couple) of those 15 litre bottles of spring water. Take it unopened, and once you are set up fill a couple of drink bottles from it and bang them in the esky. You can freeze a couple of days worth of meat and chuck it in the esky too. They make surprisingly good 'ice blocks.' Longlife, dried and canned food is always easier and less likely to go off.

You don't have to take everything on Michael's list if you are pressed for space. There is some seriously cool stuff on the list that we don't take - but might next time now I have seen it!

Kev
Our blog - with bigger pics!
http://actnswcamping.blogspot.com/
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Postby Troyk » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:58 am

[quote="missy]How many litres of water will we need?[/quote]

As you said 2L per person per day. That is for drinking and cooking, but that really depends on what you are cooking.

As Kev said get the 15L bottles from the supermarket, that should do you for 4 days. Another option is to buy the Willow containers, available from Kmart (20L for $20) and fill up at home. You will also need to buy a tap, which when not in use screws into the container cap.

In terms of what food, it really depends on your esky. If you have one of the standard eskies, ice wont last longer than 1 to 2 days. so unless you can get ice. It helps if you can freeze everything before you go.

Troyk

Postby TBF » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:57 am

Missy

I'll throw in a welcome to the forum.
The others seem to have the matter of lists and requirements well in hand.

Aart
TBF
Camping Veteran

Postby cokebottle » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:00 pm

missy wrote:Hey Michael, thanks heaps for that list! That'll be a lifesaver l'm sure!

On a side note - where abouts in penrith do you work? I love in St Clair but work at Penrith too.

That list is the basic essentials, we usually call in to a local supermarket to buy meat each night etc, as we mostly camp at van parks it suits us, but if we were bush camping or further away from a shop we would take more tinned stuff etc.

I work on the northern side of Penrith in the motor trade.

Michael
cokebottle
Blatant Padder

Postby missy » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:39 pm

I am getting very excited about going camping now, at first l wasn't so keen on the idea, but the more l think about it the more l want to do it.
missy
Camping King

Postby cokebottle » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:22 pm

missy wrote:I am getting very excited about going camping now, at first l wasn't so keen on the idea, but the more l think about it the more l want to do it.

Sounds like we have a case of camping fever developing....... treatment, spend a couple of nights in a tent, if symptons persist see your local camping shop! :***

My fiancee has similar symptons, on our 1st family camping trip (click HERE) to Lake Munmorah NP, we had a tin of beetroot splashed through the bottom of the tent after a big wind pulled the tent pegs out, was she deterred NO WAY, keeps coming back for more, sometimes she is more keen than me!

Looking forward to hearing about your first camping trip missy

Michael
cokebottle
Blatant Padder

Next

Return to Introductions: