Wollondilly River Station

Wollondilly River Station

Postby Pauly » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:55 pm

Just returned from a weekend at Wollondilly station, what an experience.
Negative unfortunatly.

We were scouting for somewhere to go for Xmas and I had been reading the wollondilly website, met Ina at maitland camp show and all seemed nice so I decided to ring up and enquire about booking for Christmas and thats where it all goes bad.
I ring the camp and get Brian,
Hi mate looking at xmas blah blah how busy is it normally at xmas.
How the hell would I know, people come, people dont come.
Hmm, I take stock and think Ok try another tact.
Mate what sorta camping area do you have is it likely to be very crowded at xmas or is there plenty of room on the property.
How would I know how busy it is, were do you normally go camping.
I normally camp in the bush and forests.
Maybe you better go to the forrest to camp then if you dont like crowds.
Sheeze mate sounds like you dont want people camping there.
We do, how would I know how busy it will be.
OOooo'Kay , see ya.

Spoke with my wife she suggest maybe hes having bad day lets go down and check it out.

So off we go, rang the camp ground to confirm somebody would be there as we wouldnt get there until 8/8.30.

Well we will have to be now wont we
No worries mate see you then.

We pull up around 8.45, Where the hell ya been
Bit of drama getting in sorry blah blah, no phone coverage to call ahead.
We pay the $48 for 2 nights then Brian says follow me. So off in the dark we go. Brian points out a camp site and says set up there.
We set up camp, light a fire, get dinner sorted kids to bed and a few ales with the wife around the fire, then bed.

Up for breaky make sure the camps set up, right then off to the office to ask some directions maybe a bit of info about the place were we can and cant drive etc, whats on the property, where are the camping areas etc so we can try to plan where we want to stay at christmas.
We dont take bookings, I have no idea where I would put you at xmas youll just have to camp where we put ya
Hmm okay, we will go have a look around.

The weather wasnt great in the morning but didnt it turn it on in the afternoon, very strong winds rain squalls and even hail, my girls are still amazed it could hail when the sky was clear. With the strong winds we had burnt a stack more wood than we allowed for so I went for a drive arond the property looking for some wood, had to head of the property then try stopping on a very narrow winding dirt road so I said to my misses better go buy some wood just incase, she went to the office and Brian accused her of already buying 3 lots, he had her confused with another camper I spose, she ended up getting some wood, 10 split bits for $10 :shock:
Saturday night was a shocker, we had the camper under the tarp and the wind was ripping pegs out of the ground so we had a long night keeping the camp set up.
We could hear the winds ripping through the hills then bang they hit you, unfortunatly the main camping grounds are very exposed to wind.

We spoke to another couple who had similar experiences with Brian, both on the phone and in person so I took heart that it wasnt just me.

Our look around took maybe an hour

All up for us it was a crappy weekend mainly due to the weather but fairly rude owners dont help the experience. Weve camped on several properties before and never struck such rude and unhelpfull owners.

The property

The proprty is divided into 4 main camping areas, 1 to the side of the office, 1 in front of the office and 1 either side of the river near the bridge.
The pick of them would be the one on the river before you go over the bridge, this is a long section maybe 20 mtres wide that runs along the river, scattered trees, grass river side camping, reasonably flat.
The other side of the river is smaller and looks like the cap areas are on an old road,very narrow along the river bank.
The Third one is beside the office, this was fairly rough ground on a dry creek bed, more protected from the weather than any of the other areas but not on a wet river bed and rougher ground.
The fourth where we stayed is a cleared field in front of and below the office, with a dirt track running between, river side camping on 1 side paddock camping on the other. We were on the river bank and as we found out very open to the weather.

They have porta loo style toilets scattered around the property which could do with a hose down but are servicable.

There is next to no firewood on the property (unless you want sticks) except what can be bought, so take in your own.

I wouldnt describe this as bush camping more paddock and river side.

They are very regimented where you camp, they basically say heres where you camp like it or lump it.

There isnt much if anything in the way of 4wd on the place, that we seen and the owner was far from helpfull with directions if there is any.

Fishing from what we seen is pretty much carp, carp and more carp lol.

All in all its not a bad sort of place, but for us we certainly wont be going back there in a hurry.
We found the owners of the place fairly rude and very unhelpful.

Cheers Pauly
Pauly
Post Machine!

Re: Wollondilly River Station

Postby Gunna Do » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:08 pm

Pauly,

Have heard nothing but bad comments mainly about the owner and his attitude, I don't think I will ever be going there with my family to find out personally.
Image from GUNNA DO
Gunna Do
Camping King

Postby amanda » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:11 pm

Sounds like Brian needs a change of occupation - obviously not a "customer service" type of guy. Sorry you had such a negative weekend.
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt - then it's bloody hilarious!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby ben... » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:51 pm

you do wonder why these people own places where they know they have to deal with the public. They either need to hire someone else to do it if they dont work and play well with others, or find another occupation. Everytime i read these stories i just wonder why these people do it...

Luckily there a plenty of happy friendly owners out there, and the best thing to do with the grumpy ones is to sink them with no business.
ben...
Post Machine!

Postby Blue Bravo » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:50 pm

Looks like I can this place off my "to do" list. :shock:
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby cokebottle » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:38 pm

OMG! I will be down in that area this coming weekend & it was on my "to check out list" we will be trying to check out the Wombeyan Caves campsite for a planned trip in January with a group of friends, Wollondily station was also on the list, but not now!!

Michael
cokebottle
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:14 pm

What a rude and arrogrant man he is and yes he definitley has no 'people skills' at all. What a shame Pauly.

Cheers....
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Pauly » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:50 pm

You get that.

As I say the place itself is ok just the people who own it are rude.

Cokebottle we nearly stopped in the nuddy resort for a look see but, nuh. We didnt get to the caves which is a big reason we wanted to head down that way but the weather was filthy and we didnt want to be away from camp too long just incase.

If you havent been down that way allow plenty of time on the dirt sections 25/30kph is about tops.
Pauly
Post Machine!

Postby cokebottle » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:46 am

Pauly wrote:You get that.

As I say the place itself is ok just the people who own it are rude.

Cokebottle we nearly stopped in the nuddy resort for a look see but, nuh. We didnt get to the caves which is a big reason we wanted to head down that way but the weather was filthy and we didnt want to be away from camp too long just incase.

If you havent been down that way allow plenty of time on the dirt sections 25/30kph is about tops.

Thanks for the advice about road conditions, I have heard it can be rough in places, we are going there this weekend if the weather permits (not much fun being nude in the rain :*** ) I have rang the resort a couple of times & they don't take bookings for unpowered sites, the last time I rang the lady said "we have 2000 Acres to put you on, if I have to I will put you in our backyard!"

It is going to be the first nude resort visit for my fiancee & I, but we have been to nude beaches etc before. (that's me in my avatar with the sombero's) :booty

I will post a park review on when I get back, don't worry I won't post any nude pics of myself :*** :booty :booty

Michael
cokebottle
Blatant Padder

Postby ben... » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:34 am

cokebottle wrote:
Pauly wrote:You get that.

I will post a park review on when I get back, don't worry I won't post any nude pics of myself :*** :booty :booty

Michael

hahahah that will make my morning coffee easier to drink.... (made me laugh though)
ben...
Post Machine!

Postby Teabag » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:04 pm

We camped at Wollondilly River Station last year and found the place itself to be very pleasent and wouldn't have an issue in going back again. Yes, Brian is a little different OK, way different but we just took him with a grain of salt......IMO, it's worth the visit and IMO the road in isn't bad at all just a little slow due to the tight road though coming in via Wombeyan Caves does take longer and is very tight and windy in places, especially with the trailer on the back and vehicles coming in the opposite direction.......Worth the visit IMO and don't let one person spoil your holiday, it's not worth it.......If you know what I mean?
2006 GU4 4.2TDi Patrol with 2005 Limited Edition Kimberley Kamper and plenty of goodies.

http://www.4wdmonthly.com.au/shed/index.php?id=1003
Teabag
Captain Camping

Postby Jo&Kev » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:32 am

Oh dear

We are heading up there for a weekend just before Christmas to stay with some of Jo's rellies. I thought the guy was a bit odd when I rang to book...

What's your home number mate?
62XX XXXX
From Canberra are you?
Nope across the border in NSW
But it's a Canberra number
It's also a number for YASS
But it starts with 62
Fair enough

Anyway we have committed and if nothing else I am a man of my word - big thanks to Pauly for the tips - especially about the firewood.

Cheers
Kev
Our blog - with bigger pics!
http://actnswcamping.blogspot.com/
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Postby cokebottle » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:28 pm

We cancelled our camping trip down to River Island Resort on the Wollindilly due to poor weather :( but if it is a sunny day tomororrow we are going down there for a day trip & will be checking it out for future camping adventures ;)

Michael
cokebottle
Blatant Padder

Postby Jo&Kev » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:50 pm

Well a quick follow up. I mentioned that we were planning to head down to Wollondilly River Station. I have to say that I really did enjoy it.

We left after work Friday and got down there fairly late. Fortunately the rello's arrived earlier and spoke with Brian, got a key and set themselves up. Brian was cool about us arriving late, probably because he just gave us the key and told us where we had to go to find the rellies. He also said feel free to set yourself up anywhere near them.

We set ourselves up, had dinner and called it a night. Had a look around the next day, and I liked where we were. Meters from the river, a couple of minutes to the portaloo. Apparently there are showers there too, but we didn't bother - 2 nights is not too bad without one.

I will admit that there is not all that much in the way of entertainment. We went for a wander to look at the other sites, took some pics of the local wildlife, including a kingfisher and a river skink. Wandered back to our site and set up for our 'Christmas dinner' - lit a fire and out the roast veges and lamb into one camp oven and the pudding into another.

Over the weekend we bumped into Brian a couple of times and found him to be a bit of a character but pleasant enough. He always seemed reasonably busy. The portaloos were clean, even had a sprig of wildflowers in the one closest to our site!

We came in through Berrima and out past Wombeyan Caves - we live in Yass so it was nice to do a round trip. Both of the roads were OK, the rellies got in easily enough with a CT behind a Commodore. No problem at all for the Landcruiser.

Oh - the main reason we went there was it is pet friendly. The dog loved it and is keen to get back there. I have no reason not to take her. It isn't 5 star camping, but for a cheap, cheerful and peaceful couple of days I'd recommend it.

Kev
Our blog - with bigger pics!
http://actnswcamping.blogspot.com/
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Postby Gunna Do » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:56 pm

JoandKev,

Any chance of seeing some of your pics of Wollondilly River Station?
Image from GUNNA DO
Gunna Do
Camping King

Next

Return to NSW