Hi from Penrith

Come on in and tell us a little bit about yourself, your community, opinions, interests and ideas. Comments and tips are always welcome consider this social networking for the rest of us.

Re: Hi from Penrith

Postby missy » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:15 pm

Thanks michael!

I have rung up Jervis Bay cabins and camping and booked with them (although she said she would call me back/send an email tonight which she hasn't?, so l'm a bit worried about my credit card details as l had to pay in full) so if everything goes ahead with that, we will be enjoying a 6 night stay there on an unpowered site on the waterfront :)

EDIT: Just one question that has been puzzling me - how big does our esky need to be? 50L?
missy
Camping King

Postby cokebottle » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:37 am

missy wrote:EDIT: Just one question that has been puzzling me - how big does our esky need to be? 50L?

As big as you can fit in your vehicle/afford to buy, it all depends on how much food & drink you want to take, for example a big part of our space in the esky is taken up by a cask of wine :beer we have about a 50L esky & it rides in our trailer, but if we did not have the trailer we would have to use a smaller esky that fitted in the boot, like we did on our 1st trip (but we still ended up taking two cars :roll: )

Michael
cokebottle
Blatant Padder

Postby missy » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:15 pm

cokebottle wrote:
missy wrote:EDIT: Just one question that has been puzzling me - how big does our esky need to be? 50L?

As big as you can fit in your vehicle/afford to buy, it all depends on how much food & drink you want to take, for example a big part of our space in the esky is taken up by a cask of wine :beer we have about a 50L esky & it rides in our trailer, but if we did not have the trailer we would have to use a smaller esky that fitted in the boot, like we did on our 1st trip (but we still ended up taking two cars :roll: )

Michael

Awesome, my parents have 2 large ones l can pick from, and see which one fits in the ute along with the tent and all the other stuff.
missy
Camping King

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:58 pm

Looks like you are on track Missy for a great camping experience.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby missy » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:22 pm

Thanks gypsy :) I certainly hope so, just waiting for confirmation that we have been successful with the booking...

I'm also waiting very patiently to see on the weekend what equipment exactly my parents have, some of it might be broken/not working etc. I already have a list of things to buy from places if we need to replace anything. I've also been taking a look at ebay everynow and again to see what people are selling.

We are staying at Jervis Bay, and the lady on the phone asked me which site l wanted: 1. waterfront, clear view of water, no parking space. 2. partially obstructed view of water, although still waterfront with a parking space.

I opted for the parking space. I constantly need to get things out of my car :***
missy
Camping King

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:19 am

That was a very good choice Missy and for more reasons than just having access to you vehicle.

I personally like to keep my vehicle nearby and in sight at all times.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby missy » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:06 pm

Thats very true as well.

I received the email from the camping ground today and thats all gone through - l also popped into a local camping place and bought:

- 2 burner stove
- stove stand
- 1.5L billy
- coleman toaster

I have also seen a fairly good priced 8 man tent.

Unfortunately Kmart near where l live haven't got any of those fold down kitchens :(
missy
Camping King

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:11 am

Hi Missy

I hope you saw this thread before buying your toaster.

viewtopic.php?t=2181

I personally think this was one of the best threads going...it was a simple question but with a lot of input.

Did you buy a low pressure gas stove??

I would think that in the coming weeks Kmart will have another camping sale, especially with xmas coming up so keep an eye open for that.

Cheers Gypsy....
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Redback » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:34 am

I can't really add much as it's all been covered pretty much by everyone, one though as you have a tent a good idea is to have a tarp to give shade for you and the tent, it will be hot (although the current weather doesn't suggest that)

It should be big enough to cover the tent and act as an awning to sit under, like this;
click on this link
download/file.php?id=353

Of coarse it doesn't have to be this big but you get the idea, of coarse it is also good for when the weather turns bad.

Baz.
01 Discovery TD5 Locked & Lifted & Redback Country Camper Trailer
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.
Peter Lalor
Redback
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:51 am

I agree with Redback aka Baz, a tarp over the tent is an absolute must for summer or winter.

It will also give you the additional area to set up for kitchen, eating etc.

Cheers Gypsy....
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby mr_grumble » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:13 pm

One of the best bits of kit I take away camping no matter what duration is the humble MILK CRATE.

[*]Pack your gear into them.
[*]Their a nice square shape and pack well.
[*]In camp, use them as chairs, tables, cupboards.
[*]Nice and strong, easy to clean.

I don't leave home without at least 5.

Steve
Image Image Image
mr_grumble
Post Machine!

Postby missy » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:55 pm

Gypsy - No unfortunately l didn't see the thread :( However, it only cost me $4 so if it does end up rusting as other people have said, its not a large amount of money wasted.

Baz - l have been thinking about getting one, but aren't they extremely expensive?? The tent my parents are letting me borrow is a 6man tent, they are also letting me borrow a gazebo type shade which we used on picnics a lot. Not sure how much a tarp would cost for the size l would need... bit short on funds at the moment, due to spending $200 yesterday, $300 on booking...

Steve - thats a great idea, we have a ton at work!
missy
Camping King

Postby Redback » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:34 pm

Seeing you have a gazebo, just a tarp to cover the tent is fine, Supercheap have them for not much money, 3 x 3 should cover the tent, probably $20 or $30.

Suppercheap catalogue
http://www.supercheapauto.com/products/outdoor.aspx
Silver Tarps
The silver tarps available are silver sided to reflect heat and black on the other side to absord heat. They are 185gsm woven high denisity UVI treated polethelene. There are six sizes available in store from 180cm x 240cm (6ftx8ft) to 550cm x 730cm (18ftx24ft). There are 2 styles of silvers tarps available at Supercheap Auto - Premium & Ultra. The Premium have rust resistant grommets and the Ultra have heavy duty corner contruction with D rings.
01 Discovery TD5 Locked & Lifted & Redback Country Camper Trailer
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.
Peter Lalor
Redback
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:14 pm

missy wrote:Gypsy - No unfortunately l didn't see the thread :( However, it only cost me $4 so if it does end up rusting as other people have said, its not a large amount of money wasted.

It was not the cost or rusting so much as the performance Missy. I had my first one for about 10 years or so before it had to be replaced and they are now around the $10 - $15 mark, much cheaper than when I bought my first one.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby missy » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:57 pm

Redback - that sounds much more affordable from this end! I will take a look on Saturday.

Gypsy - thanks for that info :) I will see how this one goes... l just know l am a sucker for toast in the morning!! Vegemite kid through and though (l seriously think they wrote that song for me)

On a side note, for the kitchen. I have rung up kmart stores (about 5 of them) in my area and they all said they haven't got any. I had a look on ebay and l found a nice one by oztrail for $100 from west gosford. I'm going to hed up there on Saturday and try and get one :)
missy
Camping King

Previous

Return to Introductions: