great campgrounds

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

great campgrounds

Postby koudstaal » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:51 am

Hi, we're from Holland and we will be travelling with a campervan from the 27th of december untill the 14th of january from Melbourne to Adelaide (and back). We would like to visit Phillip Island and Adelaide's wine producing area.
We are looking for nice/beautiful/cozy campgrounds (not only in the Adelaide or Phillip Island area but in the entire area). We like to BBQ and we prefer to stay near beaches but alternatives at the countryside are welcome as well. Does anyone have tips for us? Thanks in advance!
koudstaal

Re: great campgrounds

Postby Blue Bravo » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:08 pm

The area you are travelling and the time of the year (peak summer holiday season) means that you may struggle to find any sites available, especially on the coast. From Melbourne you travel east to Phillip Island, which has many caravan parks. From there you travel back through Melbourne and to the West. Suggest you drive the Great Ocean Road one way and come back inland on the other.
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby missy » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:08 pm

I'm very new to camping (actually haven't done it yet) but l have booked for the period of 27th dec - 2nd jan, and we were only able to get an unpowered site. You may have to settle with an unpowered site if you are hoping to stay at a campground. Also just a heads up the rates are higher at this time of year, mine is $50 per night.
missy
Camping King

Postby Bradd » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:41 pm

I stayed at the Great Ocean Road Tourist Park in Peterborough (Western end of Great Ocean Rd)
In January this year, I had no problem booking an unpowered site 24hrs in advance.
Facilities were basic but clean, the park is right on the river and its short walk to beach.
http://www.gortp.com.au/
Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations.
When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong. ~George Carlin
Bradd
Camping Oracle

Postby tigerlily75 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:49 pm

Hello! We stayed last year at Bimbi Park http://www.bimbipark.com.au which is just off the Great Ocean Road at Cape Otway. We absolutley loved it, pristine secluded beaches (ask other campers or the staff how to get to them), the otway forest, lighthouse, so much to explore from that base. The park was great, and they have horseriding available there too.
tigerlily75

Return to Camping Tips and Locations