Returning Campers from Deception Bay

Come on in and tell us a little bit about yourself, your community, opinions, interests and ideas. Comments and tips are always welcome consider this social networking for the rest of us.

Returning Campers from Deception Bay

Postby CampGrrlz » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:52 pm

Hello campers ... hand-pitched or motorized :grin:

This is a marvellous forum - thank you to the founder/s - the pix are superb, too :grin:

We're two retired-from-paid-work women ... we've owned 2 camper-trailers, a soft-floor and a hard-floor. We started our joint camping in a dome tent on Bribie Island and figured there had to be a better way than heaving ourselves up from the airbed on the ground.

We live where it's great for vege gardening but lousy for storing another vehicle. Been there with having the camper parked in the front street or paying for storage. All the camping equipment including the loo got sold. But you get that!

After some years of renting houses, flats, units, cabins ... caravan parks are now expecting top dollar for fourth-rate cabins (the exceptions are very few) - we're returning to camping.

Already we bought ourselves another loo. We're dickering about the type of tent (apart from a dome which we don't want - too complex to erect) - tourer or cabin. I should say that in previous lives we've both camped in Aussie-made canvas marquees and are pleased these monsters are no longer in fashion.

Our heads are swimming with info and counter-info. So: anyone who would like to contribute is very welcome.

Our number one issue is what brand NOT to buy and why ...

We've been around a bit to camping shows and camping shops but everyone there is selling something so we are looking for some comments backed by experience.

Oh yes, we are intending to limit ourselves to caravan parks which allow tents in the powered sites. We also prefer to use a camp kitchen rather than messing with gas bottles/stoves/whatever ... we still have the Dreampot, though fwiw. And we're going to get an electric fridge eg a Waeco but a lot smaller than the monster I bought initially :?

Thank you in advance for any advice which will all be useful.

Elaine and Elaine
Two old boilers are armchair Glampers ;-)
CampGrrlz
Camping Queens

Re: Returning Campers from Deception Bay

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:30 pm

Hello to the two E's and WELCOME to the forum.

I noted your comment re getting back into tenting and the fact that you feel dome tents are too complex.

I have to disagree with this comment as I take my 76 year old mother camping and yes you guessed it....she uses a dome tent.

She can also almost erect it on her own, just needs someone to help hold the stays/bows up while she hooks the first lot of clips onto them. And no, she is not a seasoned camper, she came on her first camping trip just 3 years ago.

Dome tents these days are very easy to erect, lightweight and waterproof which I think is something you need to consider.

If you do deside to go with this option, two brands that I would consider are either DMH or Coleman...mum's is a DMH Omeo4.

Other than CPs you can also consider campgrounds as there are plenty about that have the amenities that you require and are usually cheaper as well.

Rather than airbeds on the ground I recommend that you each get a stretcher and self inflating mattress, again this is what my mum uses and with great success.

With a stretcher bed I suggest that you go for one that has feet rather then rounded pipe legs as they are less likely to tip over when you sit on the edge of the bed. This is also a good rule of thumb when purchasing camp chairs too.

I actually got mum one from Kmart that also included an air mattress but we tossed the airbed in favour of the self inflater. The beauty of this is the self inflater slips inside the fabic sleeve and becomes part of the bed itself.

Am pleased to see you still have your Dream Pot, I love mine and use it both at home and out camping.

Re fridge...if you want something small you might want to try the little fridge from Repco, they come in at $399 from memory. I have a friend who has one and she is very pleased with the performance.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Cheers Gypsy....
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Blue Bravo » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:01 pm

Tent size depends on what type of camping. If you stay one or two nights then move on then a tourer or small dome is ok as they don't take long to put up and pull down and are not too heavy to lift and pack. If staying in the one spot for a while then you would probably be better off with a cabin or larger dome with a couple of rooms.
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby CampGrrlz » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:22 pm

Thank you Gypsy and Mr "adventure before dementia" - love that! Good tips, food for thought :grin: .

If anyone has definite knowledge of brands to steer clear of, that will be a big help.

Self-inflating mattress - now that is something to conjure with. We were in the local camping shop recently and I asked the salesman to explain how the self-inflating mattress worked. He shrugged his shoulders and said he didn't know. I wonder why we didn't buy anything in his shop.

Now, somewhere I saw illustrated a rope of LEDs - inside a plastic tube. I think it was for a Christmas object. But it occurred to me that several of these things could be wound around the inside of the tent and be safe while giving a good light. Research so far has failed to produce any camping shop selling anything like a rope of LEDs. Any clues?

And finally - we are probably intending to spend several days in the one place rather than be overnighting which is why we are dickering between a tour or cabin tent.

E and E
CampGrrlz
Camping Queens

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:32 am

Try Jaycar for LED strip lights.

Self inflating mattresses expand with air when you open the valves.....not sureof the technical issues behind this but that is what happens.

Also recommend that you leave them out in the sun open occasionally and again I don't know how it works but they tend to expand that bit further.

When packing it up roll it up expressing as much air as possible and then let sit for a bit. Go through the same process again until you are happy with the end result......I promise it gets easier every time.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby CampGrrlz » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:43 pm

gypsylady wrote:Try Jaycar for LED strip lights.

Ah! There's not one close but what I did today was buy the Christmas box that I spied in Warehouse - turns out there's no Santa attached to the lights anyway. It's several meters long and you can stop them from flashing. The light is soft and may be enough to read by and certainly enough to see around the tent by. Will give it a good workout when we finally pitch the tent (we haven't bought yet) early 09 hopefully.

gypsylady wrote:Self inflating mattresses expand with air when you open the valves.....not sureof the technical issues behind this but that is what happens.

The mind boggles! Thank you for the explanation, sounds worth a trial. We've yet to find a shop with robust folding beds (I know just what you mean about beds with U-shaped legs!). We're expecting a BCF to open in the new year so we'll see what they stock if we can't buy something used post-Christmas.

E 'n' E
CampGrrlz
Camping Queens

Postby freerocketman1 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:31 pm

welcome to the forum girls :hello:
have a look on line for down under camping at enoggera they have the type of stretchers that gypsy was talking about & if the service is as good as the 2 stores on the sth side you shouldn't have any problems getting answers to your questions.
freerocketman1
Blatant Padder

Postby Blue Bravo » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:45 pm

Self inflating mattresses are sponges in a sealed bag. They are stored with all air removed. When unrolled the air moves back into the sponge and inflates the mattress. Go to kitchen and squeeze a sponge and you will see how it works.
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby CampGrrlz » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:07 am

Thank you RocketMan and Glenn for your responses :grin:

E 'n' E in DB
CampGrrlz
Camping Queens

Postby Troyk » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:32 pm

Welcome Ladies / Grrlz :armsup
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby AussieSunset » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:08 am

Welcome to the forum E & E :grin:
Anaconda has just opened in Morayfield (across from Morayfield shopping centre)so it's closer to you now to have a good look around there. There is also another good camping store up the road from there too near Bunnings and in the same complex at the Warehouse(Morayfield).

Heather :grin:
Life is what happens when you've made other plans. :)
AussieSunset
Blatant Padder

Postby CampGrrlz » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:36 pm

AussieSunset wrote:Anaconda has just opened in Morayfield ...

... complex at the Warehouse(Morayfield).

A trip to Anaconda is coming up this week. The one at the Morayfield centre is stuffed with millions of dollars worth of gear but there is no customer service (and no website, either). The guy on the front counter was too busy yapping on the phone and his assistant admitted to not knowing anything about the stock. No surprise we're not going back.

There's a small shop in the Narangba Industrial Estate (of all places for a retail outlet!) who sells mainly fridges/cool boxes but is the agent for Oztrail and they have great customer service. Griffos it is and there's even a website.

Thank you for your tips, Heather and we'll catch up one day :grin:

Elaine and Elaine
CampGrrlz
Camping Queens

Postby Al&Sharon » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:34 pm

Hi Campgirls Ive always had great things to say about anaconda but sometimes some staff arnt as good as others, its always good to shop where you feel you get good service and you recieved it at griffos good on them so every 1 heres there web site
http://www.griffosoutdoors.com.au
have a look and maybe have a shop there, as friendly customer service always needs rewarding . Alan
Al&Sharon
Post Machine!

Postby CampGrrlz » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:49 pm

Al&Sharon wrote:Ive always had great things to say about anaconda but sometimes some staff arnt

Oops ... I gave the impression the service at Anaconda was not good - ah no, we haven't been there yet. It was the camping shop at the Morayfield Centre to which I referred ... the quote I used was not clear hence the confusion.

Happy camping
Elaine and Elaine
CampGrrlz
Camping Queens

Postby snail&squid » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:17 am

BCF tend to have a better range than Annaconda & is getting ready to open at Morayfeild also. Be sure to join the club for further discounts & prizes. BCF is a divition of supercheap.
snail&squid

Next

Return to Introductions: