Campsite power?

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Campsite power?

Postby defquest » Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:09 pm

New here, so sorry about the newbie questions.

Can I plug appliances such as a camera charger or light directly into the power socket on a campsite pitch as if I was plugging it in at home?

So basically I could use an extension cord into the tent from the power box and run electrical appliances?

Also bought a 12v cooler box to run from the car, how long can it be plugged into the car and run before the car battery would go flat? Are we talking hours, days, weeks roughly?

Many thanks for help!
defquest

Postby Scolers » Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:43 pm

Weclome ot the forum!

In regard to your question about lights etc. are you talking about a powered site at a caravan park? If so, the answer is 'yes'. Maybe take a powerboard to run extra appliancs off.

The second question is a little more difficult. If you are using the cooler box while the engine is running it's not a problem. If you are planning on running the cooler box overnight with the engine off then it depends on how much current the cooler box draws (is this cooler box a camp fridge?). It also depends on the condition of the battery. Unless you have a dual battery system installed it isn't really recommended to run that sort of an appliance from your single car battery.

Hope this helps a little.

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby defquest » Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:55 pm

In regard to your question about lights etc. are you talking about a powered site at a caravan park? If so, the answer is 'yes'. Maybe take a powerboard to run extra appliancs off. [/quote

Yes a powered site at a caravan park.

Its good to know I can run an extension cable and use an extender to run a few things. Thanks!

If you are planning on running the cooler box overnight with the engine off then it depends on how much current the cooler box draws (is this cooler box a camp fridge?). It also depends on the condition of the battery.

its just a little camp cooler box of 7litres and on a cigerette lighter plug. I guess I wont risk running it overnight as I dont want to risk a flat battery.

Can I somehow run the 12 volt fridge from the power on the site? I guess I need some type of converter to do that?

defquest

Postby Scolers » Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:47 pm

defquest wrote:
its just a little camp cooler box of 7litres and on a cigerette lighter plug. I guess I wont risk running it overnight as I dont want to risk a flat battery.

Can I somehow run the 12 volt fridge from the power on the site? I guess I need some type of converter to do that?

I think (and I'll stand corrected here) you can get something from Dick Smiths (or a number of those palces) that can do the job. I have no idea what it' called but a quick chat to someone in these stores will point you in the right direction. Quick tip, if you ask at DS and they say "No" try another place ... my experience with DS is they are not alwaysy right.

Cheers ...

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:49 pm

7L sounds pretty small, if its what i think it is - A little, 2-3 can cooler thats about the size of the console in between the drivers & passenger seat - I dont think runnin it overnight should be a prob, so long as you've got a good battery. If you've got a manual just try it one night and park at the top of a hill :mrgreen:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby defquest » Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:52 pm

Ozzycamperboy wrote:7L sounds pretty small, if its what i think it is - A little, 2-3 can cooler thats about the size of the console in between the drivers & passenger seat - I dont think runnin it overnight should be a prob, so long as you've got a good battery. If you've got a manual just try it one night and park at the top of a hill :mrgreen:

Hah -sounds like the perfection solution.

I found what I need. Its a AC to DC converter, example:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/UN-REGULATED-POW ... dZViewItem

The fridge is a little cooler that fits maybe 10 cans of drink in it and apparently draws around 3Amps. I'll do some testing but as long as I can find an adaptor like the above ill just run it from powered sites.

Thanks all!
defquest

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:37 pm

defquest wrote:
Ozzycamperboy wrote:7L sounds pretty small, if its what i think it is - A little, 2-3 can cooler thats about the size of the console in between the drivers & passenger seat - I dont think runnin it overnight should be a prob, so long as you've got a good battery. If you've got a manual just try it one night and park at the top of a hill :mrgreen:

Hah -sounds like the perfection solution.

I found what I need. Its a AC to DC converter, example:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/UN-REGULATED-POW ... dZViewItem

The fridge is a little cooler that fits maybe 10 cans of drink in it and apparently draws around 3Amps. I'll do some testing but as long as I can find an adaptor like the above ill just run it from powered sites.

Thanks all!

The Ebay Item Description wrote:Rated at 1 amp.

:-bang hate to bust your bubble, might want to ask the seller about this before you buy it. Could be easier and maybe cheaper at Dick Smith?
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby defquest » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:48 pm

Ya i wasnt planning on buying that one on ebay.

I will be checking electrical shops for a 3A rated one. Thanks for checking :)
defquest

Postby Scolers » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:22 pm

defquest wrote:Ya i wasnt planning on buying that one on ebay.

I will be checking electrical shops for a 3A rated one. Thanks for checking :)

All part of the service ... :armsup
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Demi » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:56 pm

Waeco make a 240volt convertor that will do the job for $50 odd

dont run it off your starting battery for much more than a few hours, power is measured in amp hours, so you are using 3amp hours (the peltiers used in those actually draw 4 amps) x the time you plan to run it and thats how much battery you need

so say 10 hours is 30amp hours, thats about all even a big deep cycle can cope with without shorteneing its lifespan too much, you might have 10 amp hours to spare in a normal car start battery before you push it in the mornng :(
it is an adventurous spirit that takes the road less travelled...
Demi

Return to Gear Guide