Advice needed for tent camping in storms!!!!!!

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Advice needed for tent camping in storms!!!!!!

Postby bella9906 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:17 am

Hi Everyone, Found this great site while searching for info on tent camping in storms. Hoping that someone can provide some info for me as I am slightly concerned about camping in a tent in an electrical storm. We are going leaving next week for a tri pw ith the kids and after an electrical storm coming over at home last night I am feeling rather anxious about the possibility of lightening strikes while we are merely protected by a tent. Can anyone please give me some info on what we should do? what is safe? and experinces anyone else has had. Many Thanks. Relatively new to camping and love it, however really concerned about the lightening. Cheers!
bella9906

Re: Advice needed for tent camping in storms!!!!!!

Postby ben... » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:56 am

Rule #1 - DONT CAMP UNDER TREE'S!
Rule #2 - DONT CAMP UNDER TREE'S

if the storm gets really back, retreat to the car. Mostly as long as the tent is well secured you should be ok.
ben...
Post Machine!

Postby xmasbaby67 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:27 pm

I'm with Ben stay clear of trees.

If u have a storm like we had last time we went camping u will be so busy running around trying to keep the tarp in one piece that u wont notice much :lol: Our kids usually reteat to their beds in the tent cause they hate storms and we find that a few wines help :cheers especially if your tarp blows clean off like it did to us in a really big storm and we just ended up drenched. Lucky for us the tarp we had over our tent stayed up but the tarp that went flying (poles and all) was covering the food tent and kitchen, so it was a mad dash in the rain, lighting, wind and thunder to get it all under cover, hence needing the wine. If you get really frightened you could get in your car till it blows over.
We just seem to cop wind everytime we go camping but the last one was a beauty!!!!!
The worst part was the next morning when EVERYTHING was covered in mud. I think that cleaning up all the muck was worse than the storm. YUK!!!!
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby bella9906 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:46 am

Thank you so much for your tips. I am really liking the few wines ideas. Thank you
bella9906

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:30 pm

bella9906 wrote:Thank you so much for your tips. I am really liking the few wines ideas. Thank you

Have enough of them and you won't give a ratz about the storm bella9906......
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby xmasbaby67 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:43 am

AAhhhh great minds think alike gypsylady!!!!! :cheers
After the last big storm thats exactly what we did!!!!! hahaha
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Redback » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:50 pm

gypsylady wrote:
bella9906 wrote:Thank you so much for your tips. I am really liking the few wines ideas. Thank you

Irish whiskey takes less time ::)

The best tip is to batton down before it hits, then retreat to the tent with a bottle of your favorite to ride it out, one thing is that campertrailers do tend to be much more stable in storms than a tent, i've been in some beauties, one in particular was in Tassie, with 120 knot winds battering the coast in St Helens ::() all the poptop vans that didn't close the roof suffered a lot of damage that night.

Baz.
01 Discovery TD5 Locked & Lifted & Redback Country Camper Trailer
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.
Peter Lalor
Redback
Blatant Padder

Postby Derek Bullock » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:19 pm

gypsylady wrote:

Just remember though, that too many of them and you will have to go out in the storm for a pee and you certainly don't want to get wet. :***
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby xmasbaby67 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:44 pm

But if you were wet already like we were it didn't matter !!!!! :***

Funny thing was that the toilet tent stayed in one piece thru it all!! It would bend right down to the ground but would always pop straight back up again. Kids thought that was hilarious.
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Titch » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:53 pm

xmasbaby67 wrote:But if you were wet already like we were it didn't matter !!!!! :***

Funny thing was that the toilet tent stayed in one piece thru it all!! It would bend right down to the ground but would always pop straight back up again. Kids thought that was hilarious.

I can understand the Toilet Tent staying up.
Takes me ages to fold ours up. lol mongrel thing.
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby xmasbaby67 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:03 pm

Hahaha... :+
The first time we packed it up it took three of us (a massive amount of foul language) over half an hour to fold or twist it up back into it's carrybag.
Have it down pat now just make sure you have a least one foot on the ground at all times when folding it down preferable on the tent itself. :?#
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby ChestyLarue » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:06 pm

Since when are there loo tents??
The best I've ever had is a shovel with a roll of loo paper hanging off the handle.
So your daughter's depressed, we'll get her straight on the Prozac.
But little do you know, she already takes crack.
ChestyLarue

Postby Woodsy » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:11 pm

Our first time camping was in gail force winds at a caravan / camping park. The whole camping area was under large gum tree's. We were the only people camping and i found it quite hard to position the bedroom of the tent in a clear path so no branches came in on us during the night. We survuved the night however i did wake up in the middle of it with the side wall of the tent wacking me in the face lol

I love storms and i think as long as you are prepared for it you should be fine.

Cheers

Josh
Cheers Josh
Woodsy
Blatant Padder

Postby kruiza09 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:00 pm

For my experience
1) Get a tent with a good fly (one that goes to the ground and has a space between it and the tent)
2) Pick a position that is NOT under trees (prefer) and NEVER under a gum tree, best if you look at the ground and select a spot on a small rise (this means the water goes around you) and not on a natural water flow.
3) Put the tent up properly, all the pegs and all the guys (ropes) in properly
4) Tighten all the guys when you realise the storm is coming
5) Put things away that should be away
6) Go with the wine and just ignore what happens outside (if it blows away, it costs less than your health)

Remember that lightning is attracted to tall things first and then metal things.
kruiza09

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:06 am

Good advice
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Next

Return to Camping Tips and Locations