Burrum Heads/Hervey Bay Qld

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Burrum Heads/Hervey Bay Qld

Postby amanda » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:37 pm

I'm starting to plan our trip away next March, and we haven't even decided on the location. Someone suggested that Burrum Heads near Hervey Bay was a good spot. I've never been there so would be interested to see what everyone thinks of the place. Basically we're looking for a coastal location, relatively quiet, access to pub or club, golf course nearby is preferable, with a decent fishing spot. As far as the camping itself goes, as we'll have a 78 and 75 year old coming along with us, we're going for somewhere with good shower and toilet facilities with relatively flat ground, and on the absolute wish list if possible is water views. I've had a brief look at the Burrum Heads Beachside Tourist Park website, and it looks like it ticks pretty much all the boxes, but I'd dearly like to hear from someone who has actually been there to give an opinion.
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt - then it's bloody hilarious!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Re: Burrum Heads/Hervey Bay Qld

Postby CampGrrlz » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:25 pm

amanda wrote: Burrum Heads near Hervey Bay was a good spot.

amanda wrote:I've had a brief look at the Burrum Heads Beachside Tourist Park

Given that it is 3 to 4 years since we camped in a camper trailer at Burrum Heads ... we stayed at Hillcrest and were very glad we did. It ticks all the boxes for you except perhaps it might not be flat enough. "Hill" is relative! It does have a slope but we coped OK in the little Cub without any brakes, just chocks.

The amenities were a good standard, there is water views from some of the sites. It is a short walk to the beach on the river. I do know that the owners when we were there have sold out and I don't know what it's like now. Looks like I didn't take the camera so no pix :(

What made us glad to have chosen Hillcrest was that the council-owned Beachside TP is right on the road (as main as a main road gets in a holiday town). The guy ropes were just about interlaced. We saw many rough looking camps and for a couple of old chooks, we found it rather Okka and a total turn-off.

I believe the fishing is excellent at Burrum Heads and surrounding areas. It is just about pristine and although there are some housing developments around about, I doubt they'd intrude much on the serentiy of the banksia heathland which surrounds Burrum Heads. It's nothing like suburbia as are the towns which make up Hervey Bay.

I'm interested to know what you decide and a report when you get back :grin:
Happy camping ...

Elaine and Elaine
Two old boilers are armchair Glampers ;-)
CampGrrlz
Camping Queens

Postby amanda » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:33 pm

Thanks E&E - it certainly sounds like the sort of place we're after.
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt - then it's bloody hilarious!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:48 pm

I too would be interested in your comments on your return Amanda.

Have a GREAT holiday.

Cheers....Gypsy
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Derek Bullock » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:05 pm

It's a great place Amanda and I am sure you will enjoy it. While you are there take a trip over to Woodgate and have a look around. It is another great place to stay up that way.
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby soella4 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:08 pm

Both parks in Burrum are lovely, though hillcreast does have slight slope at the beach end. Up near the main toilett block its quite flat, more for vans though but close to the toilets etc.

the council on is right on the beach front ( river really) but only has a limited waterfront sites which are taken up quickly.
Burrum is a beaut little town. It has a bakery, butcher and general store and the bowls club has a good meal.we love going there.there isn't much to do except fish, swim and relax, which is what we like in a holiday.

Another great place up that way is woodgate. the caravan park is lovely, no fancy activities but good basic facilities and its right accross from the beach. There are no waterfront views from sites but its not far to cross the road and the beach.There is a small supermarket at woodgate, bakery and hardware, so take most of what you need with you as its a bit expensive.the bowls club also has meals as well as a fish n chips place and a pub .
we love woodgate, its a quiet family place, not much to do but fih,swim and relax, my idea of a good holiday. jo
soella4

Return to Camping Tips and Locations