Spinifex Gladstone

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Spinifex Gladstone

Postby missy » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:16 pm

Has anyone got one of these?

I bought one today, the Gladstone 10 Dome Tent. I got it from Anaconda for $279 (was $350)

Just wondering if anyone has one, do you dislike anything about it?

I know that l shouldn't expect to get a long life out of this tent, as its not canvas, but the canvas one l LOVED by Blackwolf was $999 :x
missy
Camping King

Re: Spinifex Gladstone

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:05 pm

Think you might be in for a pleasant surprise Missy. I still have my first dome tent which I purchased about 10 years ago and it is still going strong.

Cheers....
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby missy » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:13 pm

gypsylady wrote:Think you might be in for a pleasant surprise Missy. I still have my first dome tent which I purchased about 10 years ago and it is still going strong.

Cheers....

I hope l am in for a surprise! I emailed the place we are staying at asking about how big our site is that they have allocated to us, and its 5x5 approx. I bought this tent because 1. its big enough for my boyfriend and l plus a kitchen area, and 2. It fits that size lot. I got worried over guy ropes though, because l wasn't sure if by having them go out further than the 5x5m perimeter, would we get into trouble? I didn't particularly feel like taking a 2man tent along just so the guy ropes stay inside our lot, but the lady laughed at me and said that they ropes would need to be very long to reach another tent to annoy them, so then l guess its alright :)
missy
Camping King

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:23 pm

Missy, I have never used my guy ropes on any of my dome tents....believe me you don't need them.

Both my dome tents have withstood unbelievably high winds at the coast and have never looked like blowing away. Remember they are also filled with all you camping gear as well.....they are not going anywhere.

Yes they lay right over in the high winds but as soon as it eases they pop right back up into place again.

Don't even give them a second thought.

Cheers....
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby missy » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:39 pm

Thanks for your advice gypsy! I'm such a novice its not funny! I only found out what guy ropes were a few days ago :***
missy
Camping King

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:53 pm

missy wrote:Thanks for your advice gypsy! I'm such a novice its not funny! I only found out what guy ropes were a few days ago :***

Well if you take my advice you will leave them in the tent bag for all they are worth.

And remember Missy, we all had to start somewhere.,,,,,Cheers Gypsy
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Derek Bullock » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:57 pm

Not sure who makes the Spinifex range of tents for Anaconda but I have had a good look at a lot of the products and the quality is definitely spot on. I like their done tents so reckon you have a good buy.

Good advice from the Gypsy about guy ropes. ;)

The one thing I am not sure of though is the quality of the pegs they sell with them. (Most small tents come with rubbish tent pegs. If it is one thing you need and that is good pegs to hold it down. As has been said, the wind will flatten them down and they will pop up again ............ but only if the pegs hold in the ground.

If I was you I would go out and buy at least eight reasonably heavy duty pegs (more if you want). One each for the four corners of your main tent section as well as one each for the four corners of the fly.

Also remember that the straight steel pegs do not hold to well in sand so also buy a few sand pegs if you are likely to camp at or near a beach. Most parks close to a beach will have sandy ground.

Cheers
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Derek Bullock » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:02 pm

gypsylady wrote:Both my dome tents have withstood unbelievably high winds at the coast and have never looked like blowing away. Remember they are also filled with all you camping gear as well.....they are not going anywhere.

I have seen a dome tent flying through the air complete with airbeds, sleeping bags and clothing bags. Looked quite funny to everyone but the people who owned it. :***

That's why my suggestion above about good pegs.
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby missy » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:40 pm

Thanks Derek - l'm assuming l can go back into anaconda and get these pegs separately? I can't remember seeing any, but the size of the store was overwhelming, l don't think l even saw all of it! How much per peg approx?
missy
Camping King

Postby Derek Bullock » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:41 pm

missy wrote:Thanks Derek - l'm assuming l can go back into anaconda and get these pegs separately? I can't remember seeing any, but the size of the store was overwhelming, l don't think l even saw all of it! How much per peg approx?

Yep, Anaconda have them. Not sure on price as haven't bought any for ages but a few dollars each at the most.
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby campguy » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:06 pm

Hi,
I work at a camping store and I am extremely suprised at the bad advice you two are giving Missy. For starters ALWAYS USE YOUR ROPES. If you don't use your ropes you have no warranty and believe me we can tell when ropes have been used or not. You are very lucky if your poles last a storm constantly being flattened, one gust of wind from the wrong angle and the poles will break.

Also the Spinifex brand are cheap copies of every other tent on the market. We get so many people asking us to repair them it's not funny.

Hope this helped
campguy

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:27 pm

Sorry campguy but 10-12 years down the track with my DMH dome tent being flattened everytime I went to the beach and it is still going strong... I disagree, the guy ropes make no difference, if the wind is strong it will flatten the tent with or without guy ropes.

In fact if you do use them, you spend more time re tensioning them than anything else.

Cheers....
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Blue Bravo » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:43 pm

Hey Missy - remember to get the tent out and put it up a couple of time between now and when you go away to get used to it.
:grin:
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:46 pm

Blue Bravo wrote:Hey Missy - remember to get the tent out and put it up a couple of time between now and when you go away to get used to it.
:grin:

Good recommendation BB
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Derek Bullock » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:11 pm

campguy wrote:Hi,
I work at a camping store and I am extremely suprised at the bad advice you two are giving Missy. For starters ALWAYS USE YOUR ROPES. If you don't use your ropes you have no warranty and believe me we can tell when ropes have been used or not. You are very lucky if your poles last a storm constantly being flattened, one gust of wind from the wrong angle and the poles will break.

Also the Spinifex brand are cheap copies of every other tent on the market. We get so many people asking us to repair them it's not funny.

Hope this helped

I agree with Gypsy on this.

Interesting that this is your first post on the forum. Some of the worst advice I have ever heard of has come from people who work in camping stores as against those with hands on experience.

Sorry but I disagree with you.
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Next

Return to Gear Guide