Nissan X Trail

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Nissan X Trail

Postby cedargroovers » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:30 am

Hi everyone,
my brother in law is looking at buying an Xtrail. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with them..? are they any good, do they have low range? can they be used on the beach, or are they more a 2wd, with 4wd if you happen to end up on a dirt road type of thing..?

any advice/feed back would great !
thankyou.

Marty,...
cedargroovers
Boy Scout
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:01 pm

Postby Scolers » Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:46 pm

I used to have a 2004 RAV4 ... no low range but was ok on the beach (just let the tyres down). It could easily outrun the bigger 4wd's in sand but isnt much good for carrying all your camping gear.

If it is towing anything over about 500kg's it will struggle a bit but can do it without wrecking the motor.

I now have a Pajero V6 ... sort of sums it up really.

Cheers ...

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad
 
Posts: 1469
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:32 pm
Location: Not in residence

Postby cedargroovers » Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:10 pm

thanks for the info, guess thats pretty much wot I expected, and after all, it is only a "cross over" 4wd.
thanks for the info.
cedargroovers
Boy Scout
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:01 pm

Postby Scolers » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:23 pm

cedargroovers wrote:thanks for the info, guess thats pretty much wot I expected, and after all, it is only a "cross over" 4wd.
thanks for the info.


No probs ... I loved my RAV4 but I wanted to do some decent 4wd'ing ... not hardcore but still needed 4wd low ... my wife kept egging me on whenever we went up north in the RAV to do some fourby'ing so in the end just had to bite the bullet ... lovely bullet tho' ... 8)

A little tip ... don't buy a new 4wd ... you'll never ant to take it out as you ALWAYS come back with scratches ... get something 4-5 yrs old ... still reliable but you don't mind the scratches. Cheaper too! :?#

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad
 
Posts: 1469
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:32 pm
Location: Not in residence

Postby Jock » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:59 pm

Xtrail is more of a AWD

It is a front wheel drive in 2wd

You can select Auto and then itf the front wheels slip it engages the rear wheels

Or you can lock into 4wd ( unless you get over 40 kph then it cuts out)

So imagine cruising up the beach at 60 kph and hit some soft sand then you have to wait until it cuts back into 4wd drive again and you pick up speed and then it cuts out agin.

I don't like them much. The RAV4 is at least rear wheel drive to start of with, has more ground clearance. Also the don't have the NISSAN factory shake. Were I used to work we had the first 5 X-trails in the country come in as they were being given to motor magazine journalists to test drive an they all had the nissan shake. One had a faulty CV too.
Trouble maker ;-)
User avatar
Jock
Boy Scout
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:05 pm
Location: Brisbane Northside

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:40 pm

Don't believe the ads :lol: As mentioned, its a car, that can sometimes have more than 2 wheels getting drive.
I don't THINK they have low range ( http://www.nissan.com.au/xtrail/specifications.asp ) not listed there.

Despite Scoler's praise for the low range-less Rav on sand, IF you do get stuck, and you will eventually, unbogging yourself in High range will do terrible things to your clutch :| . Also, when looking at any 4B, be it crosover or not, look under the front end for a recovery point, not just a towing tie down point, but one that can take a reall good 'yank' :mrgreen: . One time at Stockton beach a Mazda Tribute got stuck, no low range (could smell the clutch burning :--? ) and we went looking for sumwhere to pull him out and the whole front end was plastic ::() ... luckily 5 blokes managed to push him out :shock:

Most important thing on sand is low air pressure, even an Xtrail should handle lite beachwork. 2.5L and wieighs ~1500kg, should be able to haul itself on the sand. My 1500kg 2.8 Old tech Diesel does OK :shock:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
User avatar
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1424
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:14 pm
Location: Right behind you.... watching.... waiting....

Postby Scolers » Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:52 pm

Ozzycamperboy wrote:Despite Scoler's praise for the low range-less Rav on sand, IF you do get stuck, and you will eventually, unbogging yourself in High range will do terrible things to your clutch :| . Also, when looking at any 4B, be it crosover or not, look under the front end for a recovery point, not just a towing tie down point, but one that can take a reall good 'yank' :mrgreen: .

:


The reason why a RAV (and probably an Xtrail) are good on sand is their light weight and high power. The bigger fourbies just don't have that combination. But I rarely saw a RAV4 on a beach just mine and one other a while back.

Recovery points are simple to fit yourself ... just get the hooks and put 'em in yourself.

Cheers ...

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad
 
Posts: 1469
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:32 pm
Location: Not in residence

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:56 pm

Scolers wrote:
Ozzycamperboy wrote:Despite Scoler's praise for the low range-less Rav on sand, IF you do get stuck, and you will eventually, unbogging yourself in High range will do terrible things to your clutch :| . Also, when looking at any 4B, be it crosover or not, look under the front end for a recovery point, not just a towing tie down point, but one that can take a reall good 'yank' :mrgreen: .

:


The reason why a RAV (and probably an Xtrail) are good on sand is their light weight and high power. The bigger fourbies just don't have that combination. But I rarely saw a RAV4 on a beach just mine and one other a while back.

Recovery points are simple to fit yourself ... just get the hooks and put 'em in yourself.

Cheers ...

Scol.

True, but the Tribute only had plastic at the front, didn't look like there was anything strong enough to attach the hook too :shock: . You kinda need a chassis, and alot of the new crosovers dont even have one :roll: . So when you do find something that looks solid, and attach the hook, and then if you give it a good pull, the whole front end tears off :armsup

I think the earlier ravs had a chassis didn't they?
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
User avatar
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1424
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:14 pm
Location: Right behind you.... watching.... waiting....

Postby Scolers » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:20 pm

Ozzycamperboy wrote:True, but the Tribute only had plastic at the front, didn't look like there was anything strong enough to attach the hook too :shock: . You kinda need a chassis, and alot of the new crosovers dont even have one :roll: . So when you do find something that looks solid, and attach the hook, and then if you give it a good pull, the whole front end tears off :armsup

I think the earlier ravs had a chassis didn't they?


I now the RAV has a proper chasis but not sure about the X Trail but my guess is it's ok ... it's very close to the RAV in most specs. I Certainly wasn't aware of the Tribute ... bloody hell! That';s nutso! Havent got a vid of the front end tearing off have ya? ;)

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad
 
Posts: 1469
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:32 pm
Location: Not in residence

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:57 pm

Scolers wrote:
Ozzycamperboy wrote:True, but the Tribute only had plastic at the front, didn't look like there was anything strong enough to attach the hook too :shock: . You kinda need a chassis, and alot of the new crosovers dont even have one :roll: . So when you do find something that looks solid, and attach the hook, and then if you give it a good pull, the whole front end tears off :armsup

I think the earlier ravs had a chassis didn't they?


I now the RAV has a proper chasis but not sure about the X Trail but my guess is it's ok ... it's very close to the RAV in most specs. I Certainly wasn't aware of the Tribute ... bloody hell! That';s nutso! Havent got a vid of the front end tearing off have ya? ;)

Scol.


Doesn't say chassis or not on their site, but i'd doubt it. I think its monocoque. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monocoque - Dont believe the last line in automobiles that say's "Compared to older techniques, in which a body is bolted to a frame, monocoque cars are less expensive and stronger." They might be cheaper to make but they sure as heck aint stroger :shock:

Dont have a vid of a Mazda getting ripped in-two, but if they are monocoque then they are same as most road cars - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQOl1u6LVxQ :*** - and compared with some of the pulls we've needed 4x4ing, this was lite :armsup
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
User avatar
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1424
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:14 pm
Location: Right behind you.... watching.... waiting....

Postby Scolers » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:20 pm

Just as well I have me Paj ... 8)

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad
 
Posts: 1469
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:32 pm
Location: Not in residence

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:21 pm

Tell your bro in law to go and buy a second hand one of these if he likes the nissans http://www.nissan.com.au/patrol/msummary_dx.asp 8) :armsup

3.0 TD or 4.2 TD Mmmmmmmm :bunny

+They have solid Front/Rear axle and a Chassis :armsup

03/04 Model Turbo Diesel GU's are going for 30-35K. I dunno why anyone would buy a new 4b, you'd just cry when you scratch it :shock:

But if he wants toughest of the tough get an late model GQ (95-98ish) :armsup Would get a truly top of the line one for under 20k.

O/T. I just happened to be at stockton on the weekend, didn't see any Xtrails but there was alot of Rocky's :armsup -
Image
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
User avatar
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1424
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:14 pm
Location: Right behind you.... watching.... waiting....

Postby Scolers » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:11 pm

If you're in Syndey this would be a good buy ...

http://www.drive.com.au/used_cars/nissa ... 5&d=0&nv=1

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad
 
Posts: 1469
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:32 pm
Location: Not in residence


Return to Gear Guide

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dymnrhirm and 4 guests

cron