canoeing in gladstone

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

canoeing in gladstone

Postby wannabe on the road » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:27 am

Hi bushcamper, another gladstonite.. I do kayaking in the area so would like to trade some good locations if you have any? Have you been to Pancake creek?? One of my favourites. :+
Deb
wannabe on the road

Postby bushcamper » Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:07 pm

G'day Deb, I'm wondering if you're for real or one of my mates is having a go at me.

On the Mitchell trip none of us had our wives with us but we all had Deb (instant mashed potato), by the end of the two weeks the Deb jokes were exhausted.

Any way if you're serious, wild cattle creek to Turkey Beach is a good trip.

Futter Creek from the Monto road bridge down to Awoonga Dam is one of my favourites, lots of wild life including platypus.

Calliope River, upstream and downstream of the old bridge.

Middle Creek is good, I haven't put the canoe in at Pancake yet but it's on my list. I've heard the fishing is good, might have to try it out before it gets too hot.

Send me a PM if you want to go for a paddle some time. :grin:

Keith
bushcamper
Camping King

Postby wannabe on the road » Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:11 pm

Yep, Im for real. Sounds like we have covered the same areas, You must do Pancake it is good but you need to work with the tide and have 2 people. One for steering and one for Paddling. I did it once in 25knot winds in a single Kayak, while I survived me and everything got wet and the ones with a rudder or two in the canoe managed a lot better. Otherwise you tend to be fighting the tide more than paddling. I do a lot with the local Bushwalkers, they are doing Pancake/ Jenny lind this weekend. but I have to work so missout. :(
Deb
wannabe on the road

Return to General Chit-Chat