Leaving campsite temporarily

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Leaving campsite temporarily

Postby missy » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:08 pm

I do apologise if this has been mentioned before, l tried searching for it but nothing came up.

I also apologise for what a dumb question this may be!

When you go camping, have set up your tent etc. what do you do when you leave temporarily? E.g. sight-seeing, fishing etc.

I'm just worried someone will nick my tent and everything in it. I would of course lock all valuables in the car (or take them with me), but what about bits and pieces that aren't likely to be noticed straight away? Has anyone else had a campsite theif issue? :?
missy
Camping King

Re: Leaving campsite temporarily

Postby Derek Bullock » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:38 pm

Certainly not a dumb question.

I think I have been lucky. Have camped in caravan parks, National Parks, on the beach and out in the bush and never had anything stolen. In saying that I have heard of many people having things "lifted" from around their camp.

You are right though to keep your valuables under lock and key.
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:24 am

I've never really worried about it.

Thinking like a crim, a tent and camping gear isn't really a great thing to steal. Its' bulky, with a low re-sale value. So the likely hood of loosing it is pretty low IMO.

I've never had anything stolen from my campsite, and I generally do what you do, lock all valuables like wallet, phone, camera etc away or take em with me. If someones so desperate that they need my $99 swag/tent, or my $10 fry pan, $20 gas bottle, $15 camp chair and so on, they can have it... just don't let me catch them in the act :twisted:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby amanda » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:37 am

There was a thread about this a while back. but I'll be damned if I can find it. Basically what it boiled down to was that everyone was of the opinion that on the whole camping people look out for other camping people and are a pretty honest bunch. The only problems anyone had encountered were by bored local youths wandering through the camp grounds during peak holiday times. If you take your valuables like wallets, cameras, phones etc with you, then you really shouldn't encounter any problems. I'll keep seaching to see if I can come up with that thread for you though.
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt - then it's bloody hilarious!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:27 am

Just put any items you are concerned about...esky, chairs or whatever inside the tent out of sight Missy.

I would leave the tea towels etc hanging out just so that it looks like you are not far away as well.

I too have never had any issues of this nature in my camping life but I have heard of others who have and as has already beeen said it is usually the local lads or a band of youths passing through.

Fishing rods are something that has a bit of an attraction to some, so keep them out of sight and all should be fine.

Make sure the valuables are locked in your car...are also out of sight.

Cheers...
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Blue Bravo » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:31 am

As mentioned above campers generally look out for other campers. Fishing gear and surf boards seem to be the most popular items for stealing so keep them out of sight and you should have no problems.
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Titch » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:41 pm

As others have stated,Put out of site the important stuff.
Carry a biscuit tin to hide any money watches etc if going fishing or swimming and bury it near your camp.
I have only lost Tap fittings etc at Parks.
Once when Tenting down Golden Beach,came back and a six pack was missing out of the esky.
But $20 was in the esky,go figger.
Enjoy the experience ,carry a good old umpires whistle if you want to gain attention.
(I read you are new to camping)
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Gunna Do » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:22 am

Yes it does get a little uncomfortable sometimes when you have all your gear set up, and then leave it all on display whilst you go and do a little hiking or similar. I work on the theory of "out of site out of mind". If I leave the camp I usually place any valueable items either in the car or away in one of the lockers on the camper. I have just recently just bought a wire cable lock to put through the handle of our car fridge and onto the camper, just to stop the honest theives.

Once you have been at a spot for a little while, you will soon get a feel for the integrity of those camped around you.

We mostly use bush camp sites, but I am more uncomfortable with theft whilst camping in caravan parks, especially where the park is a thoroughfair for the locals.

We recently camped at Fingal Bay Tourist Park and it was reassuring to see a security guard do the rounds just on dark.

Safe camping.
Image from GUNNA DO
Gunna Do
Camping King

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:10 am

Gunna Do wrote:
it was reassuring to see a security guard do the rounds just on dark.

Safe camping.

What a great idea, can't say I have ever seen that before but then I also don't camp in CPs either.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:29 am

gypsylady wrote:
Gunna Do wrote:
it was reassuring to see a security guard do the rounds just on dark.

Safe camping.

What a great idea, can't say I have ever seen that before but then I also don't camp in CPs either.

Last time I was at mungo brush around Xmas time, there was a security guard that came round after dark. Had a bit of a chat to most of the camp sites there to see how things where going and then left.

Think he more there to suss out any drunken yahoo's that would cause trouble over night tho.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:55 am

Ozzycamperboy wrote:
Think he more there to suss out any drunken yahoo's that would cause trouble over night tho.

Well even that is a worthwhile cause...
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Komodo » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:19 am

Never had anything stollen - though kels family had their esky which also had one of the kids medication in it.

I have heard a few times of eskies being stollen or drinks being stollen from eskies.
I dont think that camping goods are stollen very often i think its more clothing (which I keep in the car) food and drinks.
I keep the fridge in the car so most food & drink is locked up as well.

The only trouble I've had is wildlife getting into my food over night when we've had one or two too many and left something out over night thinking it'd be safe till the morning LOL

That said I bush camp mostly and the only times I've heard of things getting stolen is at caravan parks or foreshore reserves where camping is permitted
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Jo&Kev » Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:11 am

We have never had anything stolen and have stayed at CP's, NP's and privately owned/run campsites.

We generally put our 'valuable' stuff in the tent - usually have the camera with us which would be the most 'attractive' item, other than a mobile phone which goes into the camera bag. Every thing else electronic stays at home - I'm not one to camp with a DVD player, laptop etc. If we are on a powered site we will put the 3Way fridge onto 240V power inside the tent. We generally leave the kitchen setup outside on the table. The 'kitchen' is one of those Oztrail 2 burner + grill stoves, a gas light and the pots, pans and other 'fighting gear.' Earlier in the year we even left fishing rods leaning on the 'Cruisers bull bar, and some towels draped over it. Went snorkeling on Lady Musgrave Is for the day, got back and nothing was touched.

The CP we stayed in at Moree had a golf cart that was driven around by someone from the office and a guy on a pushbike riding around. Not sure if there has been a problem there in the past but we certainly didn't have one.

When we are 'touring' I'm a bit more cautious because we don't stay long enough to get to know the neighbors.

Anyway, thanks to the site where there is a guard or some sort of deterrent.

More importantly thanks to all the campers who haven't stolen my stuff. Thats what makes it great.

Kev
Our blog - with bigger pics!
http://actnswcamping.blogspot.com/
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Postby Lost Man » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:44 am

The way I look at it is; if your worried about your gear getting stolen, your at the wrong campsite.

But, never leave your wallet, keys, phone or camera in plain view. I wouldn't leave my surf board of golf clubs out either.
I always leave my rods and reels out and never had them stolen.
Lost Man
Camping King

Postby OzJeeper » Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:13 pm

Love everyone, trust no-one and paddle your own canoe.

My 2c worth....

Covers all eventualities.
OzJeeper
Boy Scout

Next

Return to Camping Tips and Locations