Taking the engel camping

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Taking the engel camping

Postby Narked » Wed May 11, 2005 1:30 pm

Hi guys,

Just wondering what idea's people have regarding powering an Engel fridge whilst camping and not always having access to a cars 12v system. (some times in boats)

Do you run deep cycle battery, Engel Battpak or similar and if so how do you go about charging these??
Can this be done successfully from a generator??

Any help much appreciated. :D

Cheers
Narked

Running the Engel

Postby Tony Shaw » Thu May 12, 2005 10:04 pm

Hi there Narked,

It sounds like you already have a generator so that would be very useful. (if you didn't you could look at solar) You could go for a Deep cycle battery but the engel batt pack would be more functional for you and easier to use i think. It'd save you having open connections (clips onto the terminals) in the boat where there's a chance of getting splashed with water. It also gives you a battery level indicator so you know when it's getting low and needs charging. It could be used as a portable dual battery system in the car with the batt pack being charged through the cig lighter and the fridge running of the batt pack. When you stop the fridge continues running but can't drain your main battery. To charge of the generator you could use the 12v DC outlet on it but this is a relatively slow trickle charge. The other option is to purchase a 240 volt battery charger to use of the 240 outlet on the generator. These charge at 6-8 amps an hour (normal 12v charge = about 1 amp per hour). Make sure you purchase a 240V float charger as this monitors the battery and keeps on topping it up as it settles down. The non-float chargers cut off as soon as it hits the required voltage. If your doing a lot of travelling in the car engel also make a product that can be wired into the car that will charge the battery at i think around 10amps (from memory) pre hour meaning it'll be charged alot quicker.

I hope this helps you out and answers some of your questions.

Cheers, ToNy!
www.camperland.com.au
Tony Shaw

Postby Tony Shaw » Fri May 13, 2005 1:28 am

Just a corection on that last post, the 12v outlet on generators is generally 6 to 10 amps but i think it has no cut off. Running the generator 2 hours morning and 2 hours at night would be sufficient to run your fridge and some lights without over charging the battery. That is a rough estimate it depends on the size of your fridge and about a million other factors to determine exactly how much the fridge will draw. What i'm trying to say is that you wouldn't need a seperate battery charger to use on the generator. Although it may be useful to charge it from home with.

Cheers, ToNy!
www.camperland.com.au
Tony Shaw

Postby Narked » Fri May 13, 2005 1:12 pm

Thanks Tony, :wink:

Yes I certainly do have a Generator, so that will make life a little easier. I did have those thoughts but was keen to run it past other peoples first to see if they had any idea's.

Thanks for the advice, very helpful...

Regards
Damian
Narked

Return to Camping Tips and Locations