Tent size vs site size

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Tent size vs site size

Postby westivan » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:51 pm

We've been toying with the idea of getting into camping over the next year or so (we used to go once a year with friends pre-kids) and have been looking at the Oztrail Sportiva tents - an interstate friend has one and raves about it, and a canvas one is out of our budget for now (though if we get the camping bug, who knows....).

A couple of models go on sale at Anaconda tomorrow, tossing up between the Homestead and the Voyager. DH wants "bigger is better", but I'm a little concerned that the Homestead at 630 x 440 cm will be too big to fit on a camp site at a caravan park, especially when combined with a tarp or gazebo (kids are still too little and we're too inexperienced yet to really rough it).

I know there's no standard size, but can anyone give me an idea if this would be too squeezy on an "average" size site? Any other advice you can offer?

Thanks,
Anne
westivan

Re: Tent size vs site size

Postby amanda » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:09 pm

I have a 7m x 5.5m camper trailer and I'm yet to have trouble getting a large enough site. I guess it's just important to let them know your dimensions when booking so that they can allocate an appropriate space.
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt - then it's bloody hilarious!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Troyk » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:30 pm

Anne,

After a couple of trips you will realise that the bigger tent size was the correct way to go. You will need space for your gear and it is handy to have the extra floor space when it rains for the kids to play. :grin:
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby coyotte » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:25 pm

westvan

if you are prepared to muck around a bit and you really want a CANVAS tent
then maybe have a look at the "dealsdirect" website

picked up last week (still on site) 6 @ 12' x 9' sheets of 17oz waterproofed canvas for $420 inc postage

will be ample to put together a 2 roomed 12'x8' cottage tent

just have to pick up some poles -- sunshade mesh for the screening / floor and some sail-maker's tape

throw a light weight fly over it and your in business

best part apart from cost is being a "lone wolf " I can unload and put it up in panels --- much easier than trying to manhandle a 45kg + tent in one piece

cheers
coyotte
THIS too shall change
coyotte
Camping King

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:33 pm

Hi Anne and WELCOME to the forum.

You might want to consider a campground (with amenities) as opposed to a CP if you are concerned about your tent footprint or at least the campground section of the CP if they have one. Campgrounds are usually less structured than CPs.

I am with the others, bigger is better if you have a family but in saying that, make sure that the tent is easily handled and erected by two people.

Cheers....
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby freerocketman1 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:14 pm

welcome to the forum anne :grin:
i yoused to own a sportiva 12 man tent & found it great. i have a family of 5 & we had enough room for all our stuff but since then we have up graded to a campa van.
freerocketman1
Blatant Padder

Postby westivan » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:05 am

Thanks for the welcomes and the prompt feedback. I'm still tossing up between them (I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure :P ), but at least I know that size shouldn't be too much of a problem in terms of fitting on a site (as long as we choose destinations with that in mind and give the CP a heads up).

I'll definitely be popping my head back in once the rush of Xmas and family birthdays is over in a month or so.
westivan

Return to Gear Guide