To under-tarp or not to under-tarp

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

To under-tarp or not to under-tarp

Postby CampGrrlz » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:32 pm

Good day campers ... recalling a previous tenting excursion, our neighbour raked his site then set out a tarp. Then he put the tent up on top of the tarp.

Is this a common practice?

It seems like a good idea to protect the sewn-in floor.

What also seems like a good idea is to have a pair of shoes which stay outside all the time and (if needed) a pair for indoors, keeping sand and other krud out of the tent as much as possible.

As well ... those locking squares of foam - would it be a good idea to have a few of these (4 or 6 in a packet, just one packet perhaps) to make a pathway from the edge of the annex to the tent door. Is this a common practice?

Just by the by ... we've got a lot of our gear collected. Our trailer is on order and we're waiting for the post-Christmas specials to pick up the tent and stretchers.

Our first trip is probably to Bribie Island after school holidays and weather permitting early-Feb or later. Anyone likely to be in the vicinity around that time?

Meanwhile ... scorcher today, thank goodness for thermal curtains and ceiling insulation; the evaporative cooler is working overtime :grin: ...

Elaine and Elaine
Last edited by CampGrrlz on Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Two old boilers are armchair Glampers ;-)
CampGrrlz
Camping Queens

Re: To under-tarp or not to under-tarp

Postby mr_grumble » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:05 pm

The tarp under the tent thing is debatable about being a good or bad thing, like everything it has it's advantages and it's disadvantages.
I personally use a tarp under out soft floor camper, but only if it's on a very slight slope, when it rains water can actually get trapped in between the tarp and the tent floor :( so I make sure if water does get in under the floor, it has somewhere to go.
Even without downpours, I've noticed small amounts of condensation in between the floor and the tarp, so I guess it's the lesser of two evils, having to brush crud off the floor or wipe a bit of moisture up, either way you don't get off scott free :?

I'm a bit of a neat freak, even whilst camping. I HATE dirt, grass getting inside. With a 4-year old in tow keeping crud outside is a bit of a challenge. I found that a smallish, 1m long hall runner inside and one outside the door traps as much as I think I'm going to. Works for us !

Steve
Image Image Image
mr_grumble
Post Machine!

Postby Gunna Do » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:56 pm

We used to have a length of heavy grade shade cloth which was about 3 metres longer than the tent, which we used to peg down under the tent. This served two purposes, the first being that it kept the tent up off the dirt and insulated the floor from any sharp sticks and rocks, and the second being that is formed a little porch area outside the tent which was also free of dirt/mud etc (particulary good in sandy areas as the sand falls through it). The shade cloth unlike the tarps allows the water/rain to travel through it and does not pool on top of it.

Just be careful what you end up buying as I know some caravan parks have a few strick requirement as to what is required under tents etc. to try and look after their valueable grass. From memory I think tarp under tents in some parks are not allowed as they smother the grass.

Image from GUNNA DO
Gunna Do
Camping King

Postby Blue Bravo » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:52 pm

We tarp under the tent as we sleep on self inflating mattresses on the ground and they add to insulation, especially in winter. The tarp extends to the front of the tent as a floor.
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:16 pm

If you decide you must use something, Oztrail make a shade cloth type mat which comes bound and complete with eyelets and carry bag.

It comes in a variety of sizes: 8x8; 12x8; 16x8 and 20x8 and is readily available from most camping stores.

It is also quite resonably priced and if you keep an eye out it often comes up on sale in BCF.

Cheers...
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Pauly » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:17 pm

Hi

First up reds a terrible colour for your font, hurts the eyes :roll:

I dont put a tarp under the tent. As said above it traps water between the floor and tent. If your tarp extends past your tent at all you can encorage water to pool that wouldnt normally get under.

We use wide shade cloth under ours, stops the dirt, protects the bottom and allows what water would gather to run off.

Ps I recon if your gunna post a picture of a campsite you could name the area, :grin: Wheres that campsite Gunna
Pauly
Post Machine!

Postby CampGrrlz » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:30 pm

W-o-w :armsup a neat collection of responses.

Thank you all very much - many points to ponder.

I was thinking of shade-cloth and like a tarp, it's slippery.

I take the points about condensation, water pooling and caravan parks guarding their grass.

Back to the drawing-board I'm thinking!

Happy camping from Elaine and Elaine
CampGrrlz
Camping Queens

Postby Gunna Do » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:21 am

Ps I recon if your gunna post a picture of a campsite you could name the area, Wheres that campsite Gunna

Pauly,

Good Point I will try and remember it in future. :oops:

The camp was in the camping grounds of Echo Point Resort which is situated just next to the ferry in the Myall Lakes National Park NSW.

The camping area at Eco Point Resort was not very big, and the whole resort including the camping area amenities seemed to be a little run down earlier this year. Since staying there we have received from the management a couple of updates stating that the whole resort is receiving a multi million dollar upgrade.

All that aside, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay there, a little noisey on the Friday night, which settled at a decent hour and very quiet on the Saturday night. The fresh water in the lake adjacent to the camping area was a surprise and as you say the water depth is shallow out quite far which is great for the kids. The camping area also has a generous amount of shade trees and would be a nice cool spot in summer. We took our canoe and enjoyed a leisurely paddle on the lake with the kids.

It's a nice drive across the ferry and back down the coast to Hawk's Nest and Tea Gardens to stock up on a little fresh seafood.

Sorry Campgrrlz I'm not meaning to hijack your post.
Image from GUNNA DO
Gunna Do
Camping King

Postby J`CRUISER » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:02 am

like a few other posts we use heavy duty shade cloth under the tent and for under the covered tarp area we use shade cloth and foam mats.
J`CRUISER
Captain Camping

Postby xmasbaby67 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:19 pm

Hi Campgrrlz,

We have the big dark green shadecloth that gypsylady mentioned but ours is not Oztrail I can't think what it was called but we put it under our soft floor camper tent floor and it is big enough that it runs along our awning also which is about 4ft wide. We also use four of the click in rubber mats that you were talking about and we have two cheap doormats(like fake rubber grass is the best I can describe it as) from GoLo that we put on top of the rubber interlocking mats in front of the door into the tent and one just inside the door.
With three kids in and out it seems to keep most of the crud out and shaking the mat out twice a day helps.
We also purchased a dustpan and broom the a longer handle (GoLo also) that I use to sweep up anything that gets past the mats. You dont have to bend over to sweep up as the long handle on the broom and dustpan is great and quick.
I really am a neat freak and a bit of a camping princess and cant stand sand or mud in the tent EVER!!!!!.
Shoes off before entering has been ingrained in my kids heads its the same at home so they are used to it. Even hubby has been trained to take his shoes off before going into the tent. :+
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:36 pm

xmasbaby67 wrote:Hi Campgrrlz,

I really am a neat freak and a bit of a camping princess and cant stand sand or mud in the tent EVER!!!!!.Shoes off before entering has been ingrained in my kids heads its the same at home so they are used to it. Even hubby has been trained to take his shoes off before going into the tent. :+

Hi xmasbaby67, I have just the solution for you re sand in your camp...now don't laugh, I promise it works.

Talcum powder, yep that is right cheap no frills talcum powder. Sprinkle it onto your feet, legs etc and then wipe/brush it off.....voila...no more sand.

Yes you will have powdery foot marks but I am sure you will find that easier to live with.

Cheers GL....
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby freerocketman1 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:15 pm

i yoused to use a tarp under the tent but made sure it wasn't as big this way the rain wouldn't get between them :--?
so i personaly would now youse shade cloth. try bunnings but get the size of your tent first, as gypsy said you can buy shade cloth mats or if you get a piece bigger than your tent cut out a piece for the mat as this way you can clean it easier.

ps be carefull if you leave your shoes out side your tent, you might go to put them on in the morning only to be bitten by something.
freerocketman1
Blatant Padder

Postby stevo. » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:21 pm

this is just too neat!!

yeah , go the shade cloth, for every situation. Great for the beach.

Speaking of good ideas... i have seen people take lawn mowers to camps to mow the area first. Sure that might be extreme, but hey... creates a very nice camp site instead of a feral bush.
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby CampGrrlz » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:21 am

Thank you to *everyone* who responded :armsup - looks like shadecloth has the edge.

Happy camping

Elaine and Elaine
CampGrrlz
Camping Queens

Postby chisel » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:44 pm

I occasionally use shadecloth under the tent but to be honest I've never had a problem either way. I tend to camp on sand though.
chisel
Boy Scout

Next

Return to Camping Tips and Locations