Canvas tents?!?!?!?

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Canvas tents?!?!?!?

Postby KnP » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:09 am

We went to a camping store the other day to have a look at tents and the sales rep said that Canvas tents were the best ones to buy. He also said not to buy dome tents..

Do you agree?

Sorry if this has been covered in another thread, can someone link me the thread if is has.
Where there is a will, there is a way!

Kate n Pete
KnP
Boy Scout

Re: Canvas tents?!?!?!?

Postby missy » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:31 am

I was also wondering the same thing, just bought a dome tent and gypsylady said it would be fine. The canvas which would only be a 3 man tent (the dome l got is a 10man) would cost $999, in comparison to my one which l got for $279.

I've heard canvas are excellent, but then again is the sales rep just trying to get money out of you? Good question KnP
missy
Camping King

Postby xmasbaby67 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:39 pm

Canvas is far superior to dome tents.

Having just upgraded from our Oztrail Oddessy (12man) dome tent to a campertrailer with soft floor canvas tent I would choose canvas if the budget allows.

Our old tent (3 yrs old) would bend badly whenever it was windy and because we ALWAYS had wind whenever we set up we would always snap one or two geopoles each trip.
The canvas is also not as hot in the summer and warmer in winter and is not as noisy as the dome tent. We may have just had a bad run with ours but we had it for three years and camped about six times each the year, summer and winter.

If you can get a tent that has metal poles and not the geopoles you will be heaps better off. Our friends that we camp with have one from Kmart that cost about $300 and I think sleeps ten and has three rooms had the metal poles and they didnt have any trouble in the wind and storms whereas we were constantly trying to keep ours from being flattened. But theirs is still like a sauna in the summer even with a tarp over the top where our canvas one cools much quicker. I think u can hire camper trailers for a weekend or week so u can see what the canvas tents are like before you jump in and spend a heap of money

Also the grade of canvas makes a difference too.

Hope this helps :grin:
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby rexgrant » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:47 pm

missy wrote:I was also wondering the same thing, just bought a dome tent and gypsylady said it would be fine. The canvas which would only be a 3 man tent (the dome l got is a 10man) would cost $999, in comparison to my one which l got for $279.

I've heard canvas are excellent, but then again is the sales rep just trying to get money out of you? Good question KnP

Hi
Canvas is the finest tent material made .It most important property is that it breaths ,You never get condensation in a canvas tent,stays cooler in hot sun, stays warmer on cold nights looked after will last many years as it as a high resistance to UV. they are also a lot heavier than nylon or polyester,but you get what you pay for. the best cotton canvas tents in the world are made by the dutch check these out http://www.dewaardtenten.nl/tenten.html
all the best
Rex
I would Like to Wish all our Fellow campers in Austrailia
A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR.
rexgrant
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:08 pm

Here is Oz we do get condensation in our canvas tents in winter, even get it in the camper trailer unless I put up a tarp over and I this do every camp without fail. In fact I will put a tarp over sometimes rather than put the annex up, it serves the same purpose and is often easier.

In summer it helps keep the camp cooler by keeping the sun off the top of the tent/camper and in winter is prevents condensation and help keep it warmer inside again due to keeping the chill off the tent/camper roof.

Yes canvas is nice, but it is very heavy and very expensive and it is something a newbie can always upgrade to down the track if they so choose.

My very first tent was a 2 room canvas cabin style tent and it was great to take up the beach when I used to camp for a month at a time. However it got to be too much to put up and take down when my camps became shorter in time so I went to a dome tent, a Black Wolf, 6 person.

My 3rd, 4th and 5th tents are all dome tents, all DMH tents and all different sizes. They are an 8 person, 4 person and 3 person and all the igloo style. I also have a small Jackeroo dome tent which I have used for visitors or the little kids when they come camping with me.

A good idea with a dome tent is to make sure there are plenty of windows and a front and rear door so that you can get a good flow through of air. Put a tarp over to keep the heat and sun off the roof and I guarantee it will work just as well as any expensive canvas tent.

The salesman is not necessarily right when he says the best tent is a canvas tent because the tent needs to suit the individual and that is you and what is best for you might not be best for the next 10 people who walk into the store.

Even if I had the budget I would not necessarily purchase a canvas tent, I would look at what my needs were and then look for something to suit those needs.

To me that would be easy to erect, light weight to carry, small enough to pack, stable enough for high winds, waterproof, enough windows for ventilation, big enough to accommodate me and my family, suitable for bush or beach AND does not break my budget. For the most of it I would want it for several weekend camps and longer term holidays maybe a couple of times a year.

I can't see where the dome tents that we have today will not meet that criteria.

I am not saying that anyone should not ever buy a canvas tent....but it is horses for courses.

I am affraid I too am cynical, I reckon the salesman was just trying to make a sale.

Cheers Gypsy....
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby rexgrant » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:20 pm

Hi Gypsy
What you told me about a canvas tent in Australia dose not compute to me sorry. condensation is warm damp air landing on a cool flysheet and turning back to water. good quality canvas is 100% breathable and allows the warm moisture to pass through to the outside. Yes the use of a double skin on synthetic tents provided the inner is breathable will stop the condensation dripping on you but it still wont let it out it will drip on the inner or run to the floor on a good designed tent. The latest material that is been used for tent making in Europe is Polycotton Say 40% cotton and 60% polyester this mixture varies but does the job as the strength of the polyester fibers while the cotton fibers allow the fly to breath. Yes we also use tarps in the UK but My Tatonka 4.5x4.5 meter policotten tarp is used to keep heat in. over here so it is fitted directly onto the fly sheet to trap air between
But as you clearly said My knowledge of camping in Australia is nil and I hope to learn from you all.
All the best :cheers
Rex.
rexgrant
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:20 pm

I can promise you Rex it does happen in the winter months and I speak from personal experience. Have woken more than once with the odd drip onto my face from the condensation on the roof of the camper which is definitely canvas.

Like I said if I put up the tarp over then there is no issue with it at all and it has not happened for some time because I always put a tarp over now.....summer and winter.

Cheers Gypsy....
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby KnP » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:51 pm

Many Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond :D.....would love to hear from more people who have camped with both canvas and non canvas tents :D
Where there is a will, there is a way!

Kate n Pete
KnP
Boy Scout

Postby Derek Bullock » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:15 pm

Hi KnP

I am one of the more mature people around here and have been camping for 40 odd years. When I started you couldn't get anything but canvas and that is what I had.

As a young hippie I lived in a canvas lean-to tent made by the old tent maker Geo Pickers, for quite some time on the bank of a river near Cooktown in North Queensland. With a young family growing up I had several canvas tents with the last one in the eighties being a three room monster that took up half of the trailer.

I then progressed on to nylon dome tents for many years and now have a camper trailer that has a high grade quality canvas. You can see it here ..... http://www.aussiecampovencook.com/homeawayfromhome.htm

To be quite honest I think that the pros and the cons for either are really negligible.

Canvas is heavy ................ nylon domes are light.

Both have good strength and both if pegged and roped properly will weather a storm.

Both are like ovens in the sun if you don't have a tarp over them. (But remember a nice warn tent is a great place for bread dough to rise ;) )

Wet canvas is a cow to dry and attracts mould if put away damp ................... nylon is easy to dry.

Good quality canvas tents are expensive ................... good quality nylon domes can be expensive. You can buy cheapies in either.

I think overall it comes down to personal preference and the available space you have.

For me, and this is something I really love about the camper trailer, the smell of canvas is part of camping and brings back many great memories.

Cheers

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby rexgrant » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:00 pm

Derek wrote:Hi KnP

I am one of the more mature people around here and have been camping for 40 odd years. When I started you couldn't get anything but canvas and that is what I had.

As a young hippie I lived in a canvas lean-to tent made by the old tent maker Geo Pickers, for quite some time on the bank of a river near Cooktown in North Queensland. With a young family growing up I had several canvas tents with the last one in the eighties being a three room monster that took up half of the trailer.

I then progressed on to nylon dome tents for many years and now have a camper trailer that has a high grade quality canvas. You can see it here ..... http://www.aussiecampovencook.com/homeawayfromhome.htm

To be quite honest I think that the pros and the cons for either are really negligible.

Canvas is heavy ................ nylon domes are light.

Both have good strength and both if pegged and roped properly will weather a storm.

Both are like ovens in the sun if you don't have a tarp over them. (But remember a nice warn tent is a great place for bread dough to rise ;) )

Wet canvas is a cow to dry and attracts mould if put away damp ................... nylon is easy to dry.

Good quality canvas tents are expensive ................... good quality nylon domes can be expensive. You can buy cheapies in either.

I think overall it comes down to personal preference and the available space you have.

For me, and this is something I really love about the camper trailer, the smell of canvas is part of camping and brings back many great memories.

Cheers

Derek

Hi Derek
Now That is what I call a Trailer tent :cheers Hope you don't mind me showing it to the UK
Regards
Rex.
rexgrant
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:22 am

Looks like your rep is about to go international Derek.....
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Pauly » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:28 am

It all comes down to budget, strength and room. I you have the cash to buy a really good canvas tent you will also need the strength to lug it around and the space to carry it to site. Good canvas is heavy, strong but heavy.
As a kid we used to camp in a 24 x 24 canvas tent. now Im the dad we have been in nylon dome tents for several yrs. Like anything if you buy, buy quality. You should get years of service from a quality Nylon dome tents.
Our last tent was a OzTrail which is a very well made tent stood up to plenty of wind and rain, leaked a little but thats camping and I recon all tents leak. We now have a camper trailer thats canvas, canvas is warmer and cooler but heavier.
I dont think I would buy a canvas tent unless I had a dedicated trailer for my camp gear, couldnt be bothered lugging it around, but others arnt as lazy as me :grin: .

I think all tents leak and all tents will blow over if they get hit with enough wind. When you get your tent get a decent tarp set up also, tents under tarps never leak ;)

How big of a tent do you require.

Just be aware of elcheapo tents. In most cases you get what you pay for. Oztrail are good honest tents for reasonable money or if money isnt that big of a concern go for a black wolf rigid pole style in either canvas or poly. Im not a fan of black wolfs dome tents but I recon their Turbo range is the ducks nuts.

http://www.blackwolf.com.au/tents/

This is the oztrail dome we have just upgraded from

http://www.oztrail.com.au/dome-tent-range/elite-tent-series/
Pauly
Post Machine!

Postby Gunna Do » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:46 pm

KnP,

Whilst we have never had a good nylon tent, we did have a very good run out of a Freedom Tourer Tent, which is made from heavy canvas. This tent was very water proof (no need for tarps over it) and very stable in very windy conditions.

However as Pauly said, these tents are very heavy when packed up and quite large. We did have a dedicated four wheel drive/camping trailer to store and transport the tent in.

We had more than 10 years faultless service out of our canvas tent and have only just sold it to like minded campers in Perth, who from all accounts are very happy with their purchase.

This tent was very expensive when we purchased it, however I think we more than got our moneys worth out of it.

I am sure nylon tents are just as good these days, but as has been said in the previous replies, try and purchase the best quality you can afford and you shouldn't go wrong.

Best of luck with your decision and purchase.

P.S. I think Black Wolf tents offer the choice of heavy canvas or a lighter material and we have heard nothing but good reports about these tents and back up service.
Also a little bulky when packed up.
Image from GUNNA DO
Gunna Do
Camping King

Postby Poodle Jewel » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:02 pm

I have both,a canvas tent and a dome,I find i am using the canvas one more and more,especially in summer because the minute it is daylights the fur kids are whinging to get out,the canvas ones are dark.I always put a tarp over which ever one i use and YES i have had condensation on the canvas tent and seen others with it also.The thing is to look around the prices vary enormously,mine was $370 for a tourer tent.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby garbage » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:12 pm

I had a bad experience with a nylon dome tent a few years back. We had a 3 man Coleman dome and it leaked when there was a downpour. Upgraded to a COI Leisure canvas touring tent and haven't had any leaks in the worst storms that have been dished up.

I'm not sure where I went wrong with my dome. Do those of you who use them always have a tarp over them? On the night it leaked right through, I didn't have a tarp.
garbage
Camping Veteran

Next

Return to Gear Guide