fern hill park VS island reach???

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

fern hill park VS island reach???

Postby madcamper » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:10 pm

Hi Guys,

We are thinking about heading to either of these two places on boxing day for a few days. We havent been to either place yet, so I was wondering if anyone out there has been to both, and how do they compare?? We are heading to hervey bay for christmas and trying to decide which one to stop at on our way back to brissy..... Any thoughts would be appreciated!! hope everyone isnt toooo stressed out before chrissy!! Cheers Madcamper
madcamper
Camping King

Re: fern hill park VS island reach???

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:16 pm

I have been to both and it depends upon what type of camping you are after.

Fernhill Park is quite remote with less than basic amenities whereas Island Reach is set in luscious green surroundings complete with flush toilets, hot/cold showers, washing machine, basic camp kitchen, canoe hire, fishing, swimming and if memory serves is perhaps even cheaper than Fernhill Park.

There is a dam at Fernhill Park and you have to pay to fish and where I was it almost impossible to get to the creek.

To me there is no contest. There are reviews on both these venues in the Aust Park Reviews section.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby madcamper » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:12 pm

Thanks for that Gypsy......... Are you allowed to swim in the dam, or is it for fishing only? cheers Madcamper
madcamper
Camping King

Postby Troyk » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:19 pm

Between the 2 I would go Island Reach. Heaps more shade and better facilities. :grin:

PS If You have small kids try to stay up the front as the creek can be deep in places and you will be worrying about them all the time.
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:02 pm

madcamper wrote:Thanks for that Gypsy......... Are you allowed to swim in the dam, or is it for fishing only? cheers Madcamper

It is not the sort of dam that you would want to swim in Madcamper. Yabba Creek at Island Reach is much nicer.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby madcamper » Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:07 pm

OK guys, thanks for your help....... My mind is made up...... Island reach it is! Im hoping that it wont be toooo busy from boxing day.... I have rang tony up and he said there is no need to book in... Hope the weather is fine.....
madcamper
Camping King

Postby Poodle Jewel » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:50 pm

Yep definately Island Reach over fern Hill Park
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:41 pm

madcamper wrote:
I have rang tony up and he said there is no need to book in... Hope the weather is fine.....

I am extremely surprised that Tony said you did not need to book, especially at that time of year!!
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby madcamper » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:37 pm

really???? Now you have me worried. I told him we were arriving boxing day and do we need to book? He definately said there was no need. Maybe Ill just call back and double check..... Thanks Gypsy
madcamper
Camping King

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:19 pm

madcamper wrote:really???? Now you have me worried. I told him we were arriving boxing day and do we need to book? He definately said there was no need. Maybe Ill just call back and double check..... Thanks Gypsy

Good idea madcamper as from boxing day through to New Years Eve is their busiest time normally. Maybe they don't have too many booked this year at all.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby madcamper » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:28 pm

Hi Gypsy,
Just letting you know that I rang Tony back to double check, and he said that because we have not booked a 'powered site', its all cool & not to panic. Thought this info might be good for all our members. I am off to Hervey Bay tomorrow for xmas, then off camping boxing day..... So have a great chrissy and stay safe........ Cheers Madcamper
madcamper
Camping King

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:02 pm

Thanks Madcamper, that is well worth knowing.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Return to Camping Tips and Locations