Spinifex Gladstone

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Re: Spinifex Gladstone

Postby missy » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:13 pm

Campguy - thanks for your advice, l appreciate you taking your time out to put that down but no it doesn't help me, considering l've forked out $280 (sure probably not much in terms of tents but right now l'm broke buying things to go camping) when a guy who worked at a camping store like yourself told me l had made a good choice. I'm not saying here you don't know what your talking about, as l am probably the one who doesn't know what l'm talking about.

I just don't know who to believe. Sure l bought it before l asked anyone on here, but l was pleased to find out that l hadn't wasted my money like the sales rep at my local camping store had said. Gypsy said that hers has laested 10 years which made me feel so much better about my purchase.

Like l said, thanks for the advice but from me its not really appreciated yet, l'll see how l go first with what l bought.
missy
Camping King

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:02 pm

In your situation Missy, you buy what you can afford to get you out there camping.

In time if you find you have a passion for camping and find that your Spinifex tent is not what you expected or no longer meet your needs then you can upgrade...in the meantime just get out there and do it.

Enjoy your camping trip...it will be great, I am sure.

My first social camping experience was some 23+ years ago in the back of an old Landcruiser ute with an old holey cheapy small blue tarp, borrowed card table and folding garden chairs, an original tin esky, 2 burner gas stove and gas light.

I had never been camping before in my life, yes my father was a drover and we camped out all the time.....but that was with my parents and I had that security and it was the only life I knew at the time

My first camping experience was totally different and whilst I was terrified because we bush camped once we moved in closer to civilisation and I relaxed I found that I enjoyed it immensley.

I have been camping ever since and go on average about 12 or 13 times a year. Camping has become my passion and constantly planning for the next one is the only thing that keeps me remotely sane.

You are streets ahead of me when I first camped and probably that of many others as well.....don't stress over it and even if you do forget something or the tent falls over it will not be the end of the world...you will pick it up and start all over again and you will survive and even laugh about it later when you relive your 'first ever' camping trip.

Enjoy Missy and I look forward to hearing about it on your return.....

Cheers Gypsy....
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby missy » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:07 pm

gypsylady wrote:
You are streets ahead of me when I first camped and probably that of many others as well.....

Thats only because l have the help from you and other people on this forum! I am so grateful l found it! Thanks again gypsy, regardless of this comment from the camping store guy, l am still looking forward to this trip so much :) I am still counting down the days!
missy
Camping King

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:52 pm

Good Girl Missy...go for it and enjoy......
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Derek Bullock » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:17 pm

missy wrote:
gypsylady wrote:
You are streets ahead of me when I first camped and probably that of many others as well.....

Thats only because l have the help from you and other people on this forum! I am so grateful l found it! Thanks again gypsy, regardless of this comment from the camping store guy, l am still looking forward to this trip so much :) I am still counting down the days!

Very true Missy.

I camped for many years with a cheap dome tent and had many great holidays in it. Looked after they last for years.

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby campguy » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:22 pm

I didn't mean to put you off Missy I have just been working in a camping shop for the last 6 years and camping most of my life and have seen what bad advice can do to camping trips. Brands like Spinefex and Oztrail have their place in the market top get first timers like you started in camping and enjoying the experience! Just remember it may be a bit expensive to set yourself up but you'll save money in the long run :)
Also half the fun is learning all the little tricks and also meeting people around the campsite!

Hope you have fun on your first trip and let us know how it goes.
campguy

Postby missy » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:11 pm

Thanks campguy - l didn't want to spend a lot of $$$ on something if l don't like it :) If l don't end up liking camping, then its only $280 thats gone to waste, in comparison to a lot more. Thanks again for your advice :)
missy
Camping King

Postby Blue Bravo » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:55 pm

Hey Missy - I just received my copy of Go Camping Magazine and they did an article on Family Tents. In regard to the Spinifex they stated "a good tent for the budget buyer". Enjoy the tent, look after it when putting and and packing away and it will last for years. :armsup
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby ashe_ep » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 pm

Thats from the 09 range. I think its based on something called the avon from 08. Pretty good tent actually.
ashe_ep

Postby ScottH » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:13 pm

Missy - I wish you all the best for your camping trip.

One small suggestion - buy a pack of spare poles the right size and keep them handy. If the worst happens and you break a pole, you'll have a spare on hand. Also have some strong tape ("100mph tape") on hand.

How I came to learn this lesson? We camped down at Tabourie Lake over New Years. There was a little bit of wind but nothing major, however we returned to camp to find our Oztrail Keppel 10 looking kind of strange. When we look around the other side, one of the black pole has shattered (broken and split down the middle) and punched through the fly. I managed to race back to Ulladulla just as the local camping store was closing, grab a spare pole and some tape, then race back to camp. Got it patched up only to have another pole break the next day. My wife ended the trip right there, and I spent last night driving the 3 hours home in the dark.

Amazon and Oztrail are going to have some explaining to do, as no other tent around us had any problems. The cheap Stockman and BigW tents seemed to hold up just fine, and yet ours broke twice. I had the guy lines pegged out and tensioned, all the little velcro "posi-brace" tags done up, etc. Not happy Jan!

Time to pack in the tent for a camper trailer top (after getting the refund I'll be demanding from Amazon). The CTs we saw down there didn't move an inch in the wind.
ScottH
Boy Scout

Postby encorepi » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:01 pm

I got some information on tents before purchasing one second hand. The guy was an outdoor education teacher and has purchased a camper trailer to take on long service leave as his wife didn't want to have to spend the time putting the tent up and taking it down.

From the guy who owned it, after I had completed the purchase, he said they did a lot of camping in it, both as a family and with his school. The tent held up just great in wind and rain and it is an Oztrail. I will let you know if I change my mind after our next camping trip but for now it's a winner.

There is a difference between Oztrail tents and Elite (ie. keppel) has been the lowest grade of tent made by them until the newest styles which they have now added a eco range, but the poles for the eco and elite ranges are the same.

Seriously though, it sounds like a really sucky experience and I hope your new camper trailer gives you what you want it to.

I am all for saving money camping good luck missy, have fun and I am certain your tent will be great.

Jodi
encorepi
Boy Scout

Postby ScottH » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:28 pm

No joy on a refund, but OzTrail did agree to replace it. Have to go into Amazon and look at the alternate options, but I think we'll go with their Sportiva range. This seems to be the strongest of the lot, though I'm still not convinced.

Still not sure about the explanation of the fault either - apparently the black poles can fail in hot weather, and we were just unlucky. Oh well - at least they've agreed it was a fault, and not something we did.
ScottH
Boy Scout

Postby Derek Bullock » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:30 pm

Hi Missy

How did the tent go for the trip.

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby albi » Sun May 24, 2009 4:54 pm

hi Missy, i have also bought the Spinifex gladstone (6 man though, there are only 2 of us)). i had it set up in the yard on a crappy melbourne night with rain and wind, and seemed to go pretty well in terms of its water proof, sturdyness and overall durability, but it was only 3 nights. i reckon the price of the spinifex tents are great for people starting out.
Missy i am in the same position as you,starting out. i have been camping with other people, using other peoples gear and even hired a camper trailer, now i am starting to buy my own gear, i dont want to spend big bucks on something i might only use once or twice. websites like this and the people on here are a realy good help to the people like us who are starting out. i hope it all goes well and will be interested in hearing how you went.
albi.
albi

Postby jac&mark+4 » Sun May 24, 2009 8:55 pm

campguy wrote: Brands like Spinefex and Oztrail have their place in the market top get first timers like you started in camping and enjoying the experience!

Are u saying oztrail are a cheapie basic??? I just paid over a $1000 for my oztrail (it is a canvas though), My mum had one also and is the reason I got one, our two little domes we have are getting ancient and they are both oztrails.
I gotta agree even though we are just getting back into our camping we never use to bother with the ropes either on our domes and never had a problem.

How did ur trip go??
jac&mark+4
Boy Scout

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Guide