Any suggest or tips how to looking for cheap GPS?

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Any suggest or tips how to looking for cheap GPS?

Postby ekatronik » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:12 am

Hi..

GPS needed if you are going hiking or camping in wilderness.

have you suggest for cheap GPS, but powerfull in wilderness?

powerfull that mean waterproff or waddle and easy to operate.

can you give me tips how to looking for cheap GPS?
My Personal blog about camping and outdoor activities
http://basicpack.blogspot.com/
ekatronik
Boy Scout

Re: Any suggest or tips how to looking for cheap GPS?

Postby HGMonaro » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:34 pm

GPS these days can mean a lot of different things... but from your description of tasks I think you want a handheld unit (not a car navigation one). You can get simple ones (no maps) and complicated ones (maps, colour screens). Just depends on how much you want (or can) pay!

Most if not all current GPSs use a 'Sirf' chipset which gives excellent reception. You want this in whatever you buy. You're probably best to have a read of some of the GPS specific forums to get the lowdown on what's the current 'best of class' as my knowledge is a bit dated. If no-one posts some site addresses by the time I get home tonight, I'll add a couple.

Cheers, Nige
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby ekatronik » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:44 am

HGMonaro wrote:GPS these days can mean a lot of different things... but from your description of tasks I think you want a handheld unit (not a car navigation one). You can get simple ones (no maps) and complicated ones (maps, colour screens). Just depends on how much you want (or can) pay!

Most if not all current GPSs use a 'Sirf' chipset which gives excellent reception. You want this in whatever you buy. You're probably best to have a read of some of the GPS specific forums to get the lowdown on what's the current 'best of class' as my knowledge is a bit dated. If no-one posts some site addresses by the time I get home tonight, I'll add a couple.

Cheers, Nige

Thanks Nige
yes, i need outdoor GPS (not a car navigation one).
i think, i simple GPS is very dificult to operate, cause no map, just satelite show.
but if complicated ones, hhhmmmmm, i like it, but probably very expensive to me.

maybe, can you give alternative suggest?
or.. if i hav't choise, what i can to do?

thanks
ekatronik
Boy Scout

Postby HGMonaro » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:38 pm

I have a very simple one.. bought in 1997 or 1998... In fact I don't think you could buy one as simple these days!

It's still 'usable', however the technique you use is different a little to a modern 'mapping' one.

Mine will navigate you to a known latitude/longitude, usually called a waypoint. It records a 'bread trail' which you can backtrack if you desire. It shows distances (in a straight line) to the waypoint, direction of travel, your speed and other things. With the correct cable you can upload that to your computer and import into Oziexplorer or similar program (I don't have the cable) but modern ones can all do that and download waypoints and routes from the computer too.

I've bought mine for marking secret fishing locations. Ended up using it to go geocaching (read up about this at www.geocaching.com if you've never heard of it... good fun!). What you can do is add a waypoint at the place you want to return to (eg. carpark), go for your wander, then navigate back to that waypoint. Just remember GPSs should not be 100% relied on, they can break when you fall over, run out of batteries, etc so don't go putting blind faith in it to get you home.

Maybe a 2nd hand eTrex might suit you to get you started.

Nige.
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby chisel » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:56 pm

Any of the garmin units would be good. http://www.ja-gps.com.au/garmin_handheld.html

You can pay from $120 to $600 .... the top of the range will be the Oregon with the touchscreen.
chisel
Boy Scout

Postby ekatronik » Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:51 am

chisel wrote:Any of the garmin units would be good. http://www.ja-gps.com.au/garmin_handheld.html

You can pay from $120 to $600 .... the top of the range will be the Oregon with the touchscreen.

thanks chisel.
touchscreen is interesting, and easy to operate, but more expansive too.
how ever, i have to bought garmin type Garmin GPS60 looked at http://www.ja-gps.com.au/garmin_gps60.aspx

but, very difficult to operate,
i think, i will buy gps with map display, maybe more expensive, but its ok
i have budget about $100 to $150.

thanks HGMonaro, i thought, 2nd hand GPS unit maybe risk to buy.
like you said, risk break by fall over, we never know, it's has fall over by 1st hand or not.
ekatronik
Boy Scout

Postby farmer joe » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:43 am

Have a look at the gpsaustralia forum.

Plenty of sound advice and some pretty good free maps are also available.

The solutions are many and varied.
farmer joe

Postby HeathGQ » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:33 pm

^^ and the free maps are fantastic....
HeathGQ
Boy Scout

Return to Gear Guide