I think that all the comments posted here have merit for both sides of the debate. I am a fan of canvas for many reasons but one is for a very obscure reason.
I attended a campground fire some many years ago and apparently the child had decided to take a candle into the tent. It was nylon. When it "burnt" it became molten.
The child as an adult still has significant facial scars to attest to the event.
Canvas, in it's pure woven cotton form will burn, but never become molten and sticking unless it's a mixed fabric.
So I tend to house children/grandchildren in canvas or non flammable digs. Candles are a BIG no-no. Tents close to campfires are my worst nightmare.
Thank goodness for the LED!