Coolendel Camp Ground on the Shoalhaven River

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Coolendel Camp Ground on the Shoalhaven River

Postby conmanturley » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:54 pm

Hello Folks,

Well we are off again :armsup for pre-Christmas camping recce and have decided on trying out the Coolendel Camp Ground on the Shoalhaven River near Nowra.

http://www.coolendel.com.au

Has anyone been there?

Love to hear your thoughts.

Conman.
How is it that one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
conmanturley
Camping King

Re: Coolendel Camp Ground on the Shoalhaven River

Postby Blue Bravo » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:44 pm

Had a look at the website and it looks nice. The pricing though seems over the top.
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby nokema » Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:06 pm

After swearing off camping 22 years ago, I have just returned from four days at Coolendel and can't recommend it highly enough. There are plenty of sites, the amenities are clean, the staff are friendly, the shop is open all day and well stocked and the wildlife is amazing. We were regularly joined by wombats, wallabies, goannas, dingaling and kookaburras. The cost was $192 for four days for three of us and it was money well spent. Most of the other campers were regulars and were very friendly and helpful. Despite the electrical storm and torrential rain one afternoon we had a great time doing bushwalks (all well marked with well maintained trails) and swimming in the pristine river.

I've now been converted into a camper and can't wait to go exploring!!
nokema

Postby Derek Bullock » Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:56 pm

nokema wrote: We were regularly joined by wombats, wallabies, goannas, dingaling and kookaburras.

Whats a dingaling ????
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Bradd » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:33 am

Derek wrote:
nokema wrote: We were regularly joined by wombats, wallabies, goannas, dingaling and kookaburras.

Whats a dingaling ????

It seems Peac0cks is a dirty word here :-bang

Had a look at the website and it looks nice. The pricing though seems over the top.

Definitely overpriced. If the price was per double rather than per person, then maybe ......
Makes me remember why I prefer National /State Parks
Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations.
When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong. ~George Carlin
Bradd
Camping Oracle

Postby conmanturley » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:27 pm

Went off to Coolendel for the pre-Christmas recce and loved it despite the weather.

So much so that decided to spend Christmas there rather than just a few days afterwards.

Went down on the 21st and stayed until the 29th and it was great.

Now normally I don't like "campsites" and want bush camping but this place is a cross between the two. We stayed in the area called 'The Hideaway" and felt like (mostly) we were the only ones there. But having the benefit of popping to the shower block or the little shop/office to buy ice was great.

The river is a dream to paddle, swim or row on and although just after Christmas it was like Bondi at the rapids (the most accessible bit) a few yards up or down stream and you could float in peace with zero signs of humanity to see. Bliss.

Wildlife a plenty including the rather cute and brave Goanna's and a couple of beautiful Wrens that visited us every day. The Peafowls are something to be seen particularly the males. Not forgetting the Wallabies and the Wombat who came a calling every evening.

Now I know that the prices can be off putting to some but the charge is on a sliding scale based on the time of year and as we were there 8 nights they threw in a free night which was pretty descent. The facilities are well maintained and there are a few gas bbq's and sinks that can be used if desired.

Photos to follow once they have uploaded but basically Coolendel gets :+
How is it that one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
conmanturley
Camping King

Postby conmanturley » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:35 pm

I think he likes me;

conmanturley
Camping King

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:11 pm

What a FABULOUS pic of the bird...
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby conmanturley » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:12 pm

A chap blocking the road

A visitor for lunch

conmanturley
Camping King

Postby conmanturley » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:25 pm

The big old wombats.

conmanturley
Camping King

Postby Poodle Jewel » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:46 pm

Looks a great place but unfortunately my doggies would want to play with the wild life.Dare i say it wouldn`t be pet friendly anyway and well within their rights too,to protect our wildlife.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby conmanturley » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:56 pm

Yeah they have a no pets, no generators and no dirt bikes policy.
conmanturley
Camping King

Return to Camping Tips and Locations