Camping Backpack and Sleeping Bag?

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Camping Backpack and Sleeping Bag?

Postby bcurko » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:25 am

Hey guys,

I'm 15 and go on compulsory school camps which i don't mind to be honest but i am having a trouble fitting in all my gear in my backpack

I have a red oztrail bag i can't find any info on sizes but i think its at least 55 Litres

And it's annoying because my foam mat has to be on the outside whilst being prone to branches or anything to get ripped and it's also not the most comfortable pack to wear for 3-5 hours of hiking time. I have to fit in gear that will last me 3 days + food or anything i am told to carry on the summer/autumn camp and then in term 4 so Roughly the start of Summer December time i have to take enough gear to last me 5 days. Plus some PVC Tube where we apparently are mean't to carry our "waste" in...

So what am i doing wrong? Am i packing too much ? Am i using the wrong gear? Should i get a smaller sleeping mat like one of those inflatable ones and a really small sleeping bag? Or should i get a new backpack one and learn how to pack properly?

I was also considering getting a water proof watch that was suitable for camping with all the features you would want. Mind you i am limited to what i can purchase so don't recommend i go to a camping shop and get a $500 backpack i only camp twice a year so yeh..
bcurko

Re: Camping Backpack and Sleeping Bag?

Postby Activity_Dept » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:05 pm

Uh so yeh I think if you’re trying to promote a tiny (URL deleted) you should just come out and do it and not beat around the bush. That’s what the market place is for...
The admin guy.
Discover Camping
Activity_Dept
Site Admin

Postby ashe_ep » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:08 pm

I find a small sleeping bag helps but it depends if you are willing to lay out the money or not. You really need to look at need vs want and what can have multiple uses. I find the best pillow is a sleeping bag sack stuffed with clothes makes a good pillow. Only 1 warm jumper should be necessary in summer. Clothes can be worn for more than one day, you'll smell bad but so will everyone else. The sleeping mat usually goes on the outside depending on what you own, but put it in something that will protect it otherwise you'll end up with a mat in pretty bad shape. Make sure you're sharing a tent so it can be spread across 2 or 3 bags. For 3 days you really only need 2 pairs of pants (in case one gets wet) 3 t shirts (clean each day) 3 pairs of socks 1 jumper and rainwear.
ashe_ep

Postby ekatronik » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:16 pm

Activity_Dept wrote:Uh so yeh I think if you’re trying to promote a tiny (URL deleted) you should just come out and do it and not beat around the bush. That’s what the market place is for...

Hmm... that look like spam?
My Personal blog about camping and outdoor activities
http://basicpack.blogspot.com/
ekatronik
Boy Scout

Postby bcurko » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:57 pm

I'm not trying to promote anything guys i am 15 and just asking questions. I only used a tiny so the url wouldn't mess up my post. If i wanted to advertise i wouldn't of bothered writing my post and asking questions... Thanks to the poster above for actually providing some useful info
bcurko

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:08 pm

I haven't done much hiking but if I ever did it again I'd leave the tent at home. 3-5kgs in a reasonable price range, its not worth it for the comfort in my opinion. Just get a small tarp and some rope - find some sticks to hold it up, or just wrap the tarp around you. It usually only needs to keep the dew off.

If your hiking somewhere you KNOW there's going to be fairly clean streams/rivers, take puri tabs, and less bottled water.

If your allowed to have fires, don't bother with a stove. There's another 1-2kg's. Just take 1 or 2 light pans. Take food that's going to give you more energy for less weight. So canned foods not usually as good as it seems. Pasta's good, light, and easy to cook. And the packaging is easier to take back out.

If the packs uncomfortable for only 3-5hrs I'd seriously look at another pack, but unfortunately you get what you pay for. I bought a ~$120 pack when I did the south coast walk, ~16kgs of gear and had bruises down my shoulders and lower back after 2 days :roll: But that was hiking for at least 6hrs each day.

Depending on where your going, if it was summer, you might even think about leaving the sleeping bag at home.

And when your packing, don't think of what you might need, think of what you can do without, and what you absolutely can't. Then pack accordingly.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby bcurko » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:13 am

Thanks for the reply, I go camping at Somerset for the 3 Day Camp and then at the end of the year start of december i go on a 5 day camp at Biloela.

This is the Equipment list for my camp next year the 5 Day Camp at Biloela so you can see what i am dealing with what i need etc..
YOUR CLOTHING AND EQUIPMENT LIST

It is vitally important, both from a point of view of SAFETY and YOUR ENJOYMENT, that you take with you everything that is on this list and of course you donít take things that are not on the list.

The equipment and clothing list has been based on many years of experience and development. PLEASE TAKE HEED OF IT! If there is anything that you do not understand or are having trouble finding, talk to your friends, your teachers and your family.

PLEASE NOTE - IT WILL BE COLD AT THIS TIME OF YEAR SO BE PREPARED WITH THE RIGHT EQUIPMENT TO ENSURE YOU ARE COMFORTABLE!

In a nutshell, all your clothing and equipment needs to serve 4 basic functions:

1. It must keep you warm
2. It must keep you and keep your gear dry
3. It must be as light as possible
4. It needs to be suitable for a range of weather conditions

When you are packing keep all of these things in mind. For example, an enormous puff jacket might be warm, but it will be heavy, and will not go well in the wet. The better option would be 3 thin woollen jumpers, which are lighter and more versatile.

CLOTHING
1-2 Thin woollen jumpers or fleece
3-4 pairs of thick socks e.g. Explorers
1 set of thermals (top and bottom)
4 pairs of underwear
1 shirts (long sleeves are good)
1 beanie 1 sunhat
1 pair long pants (see notes)
1 pair walking boots/shoes (see notes)
1 pair shorts
1 Rain jacket
1 pair shoes for water activities (see notes)
CAMPING EQUIPMENT (see notes following)
1 Sleeping bag

1 Tent to share
1 Sleeping mat or bed roll
1 Back pack to carry gear
1 Small lightweight torch and battery and spare globe
3 Strong large garden tidy plastic bags (orange ones)
3 Supermarket plastic bags
1 Plastic bowl, mug, fork & spoon
2 1 Litre Water bottles.
1 Cleaning kit (in plastic bag) - 1 scotchbrite, 4 Jex Pads, tea-towel
1 Whistle on cord
bcurko

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:02 pm

Well that list seems pretty ok, and I'm guessing the organizers cook and supply the food?

Their clothing seems a bit excessive but I don't know the area. But December, in QLD, surely you won't need thermals AND a woolen jumper :? Thermals and a slopey joe kept me warm at the snow till nightfall.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Return to Gear Guide