Re: QLD - Flanagans Reserve, Rathdowney

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:53 pm

So the noise was at night time???
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Poodle Jewel » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:18 pm

Yes ...at night. When i woke up and took the dogs walking my immediate thought was ,oh i`m close to a town that`s why it`s noisy.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:57 pm

You are right on the edge of a very small township but not one I would have thought had a lot of heavy vehicles through. Obviously that is not so any more, unless there is some special project on the go there now.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Troyk » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:04 pm

Its logging trucks! Don't ask why, but I believe the chipboard factory in Gympie runs 24 hours a day.

Work on the dam has not commenced as the approvals have not been given.

PJ and GL please continue this discussion under one of the posts for Island Reach. Thank You
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:11 pm

Ooops, sorry Troy. Do you want to move the posts so that they appear under that heading??
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Poodle Jewel » Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:19 pm

Sorry ,i did think we were getting off the topic but one discussion lead to another,will be more careful.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby ScottyB » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:02 pm

Well folks I bit the bullet on Flanagans Reserve and went there to see for myself just how bad it really could be.

I have to say I was pleasantly surprised, it was excellent.

I met the managers, yes they call a spade a spade but I don't mind that. I don't suffer fools either so live and let live. They are not the circus freaks I was expecting, they really are seem to be trying to make a place for everyone to enjoy.

As for the park itself I can offer the following observations ....

The campgrounds were very clean and tidy. Most people that stay there seemed fairly considerate in that respect. I often saw the resident manager picking up rubbish around the place on top of that.

Despite it being school holidays I never once waited for the shower or toilets even though the amenities don't seem to be sufficient to cover large amounts of people. I noted that a lot of campers there had their own toilet/shower setups so I attribute the lack of pressure on the campground amenities to this fact.

Firewood is $8 a wheelbarrow full, but the timber is decent and burns slowly so not that bad value wise. The kiosk is basic but not overpriced, enough there to keep the kids happy if needed.

The creek is excellent offering swimming/fishing holes at the bottom of the park, and a slow running stream towards the top of the park. Plenty of excellent photo opportunities for you and the kids.

We did fish a bit and caught a few silver perch. After speaking with a few "regulars" we were told catching fish is not that common, but they are there let me tell you.

We camped right on the banks of the creek overlooking the water. Never even touched the mozzie repellant. Even left the camper open at night. Never got bitten once, can't even remember being bothered by flies. It was perfect.

All in all, it was excellent value, the kids loved it, made heaps of friends and the managers were around but never in anyones face (I was watching this closely based on previous reports on this thread).

Yes when you rock up you are issued with a list of rules but I would say the rules are not over the top and obviously are aimed at ensuring that everybody has a good time, not just the drunks. I found that everyone in the campground followed those rules and believe this greatly enhanced our time there in what would be a fairly busy time of year I guess.

If I could make one criticism it would be that there are only a few spots available if you have solar panels (which we do). Despite the large amount of camping spots all with excellent access to the park most of the spots are shaded (which is good for most I know) but if you run some solar head to the bottom of the park to make the most of the sun. But please people, I am being picky, it really is a great spot.

I will definitely stay there again and recommend it to all as a really pleasant little place for families with dogs/pups. It truly is a nice little place and I was pleasantly surprised.
ScottyB
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:16 am

Good comment Scott, maybe the managers have had a turn around in their attitude...whatever the reason it is good to hear that you had a good camp with no 'issues'.

Cheers Gypsy.....
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby karrynmac » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:25 pm

ScottyB, glad to hear you had a good stay at Flanagans :grin: . It was me who had the biggest whinge, and as I said, we thought they were way over the top, unneccessarily so - we are not ferals, and have never had such an experience anywhere we go.
I also do not suffer fools, but in saying that, what we encountered wasn't camp ground norm.... very pleased you had a great stay, we have been getting our feet wet at Brunswick - Massey Greene - not really camping but man the snorkelling is awesome, unfortunately there are a number of local kids who thieve from campers nightly so had to lock everything up tight which was sad. Going to try Neuram Creek over Christmas.

Karryn
karrynmac

Postby ScottyB » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:35 pm

karrynmac wrote:It was me who had the biggest whinge, and as I said, we thought they were way over the top, unneccessarily so - we are not ferals, and have never had such an experience anywhere we go.

I would have to agree with you Kerryn that if someone is going to run a campground they should probably be friendly to the clients. Its a shame you had such a bad time there because holidays should be to get away from the stress, not create more. I think this is why bad experiences on holidays tend to be worse.
ScottyB
Captain Camping

Postby Troyk » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:39 pm

They are doing a story on Flanagan Reserve, Great South East Sun 30, 5:30pm. Its been on before, but it does give a much rosier picture. :armsup
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby kat05 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:01 am

We took a day trip recently to Flanagans Reserve visiting family who were camping for christmas and while the amenities were good we found the ranger to be extremely rude, even after I emailed my complaint to him. His response was we already have lots of campers coming back over and over again so it's no issue if we don't go back.

From: "ranger@flanaganreserve.com.au" <ranger@flanaganreserve.com.au>
To: kat05@y7mail.com
Sent: Monday, 29 December, 2008 7:47:51 AM
Subject: Re: Complaint

Thanks for your email. We must let you know that all campers are handed a list of camping rules when they register, the generator hours on not only on these rules but they are pointed out in particular when the rules are handed to them but people continuously ignore them - even after being reminded nicely. We're quite happy for you not to come camping here as we certainly have an over abundance of campers returning over and over, and we certainly don't appreciate complaints when the complainer is unaware of the real issue.

----- Original Message -----
To: ranger@flanaganreserve.com.au
Sent: Sunday, December 28, 2008 9:53 AM
Subject: Complaint

My husband and I recently took a day trip to Flanagan's Reserve and while the facilities where good, the attitude of the ranger was just plain rude. I observed this when the ranger was going around telling people off for having their generators on rather then nicely explaining to campers the hours generators are allowed to be run, had the campers continually ignored the rules after being told I could see reason for the rude attitude, but as it was the first time they where being told I saw no reason for the ranger to comment on people having consideration or not and just generally being rude about the situation. Funnily enough 10 minutes later some nice considerate person in a bus let off their air horns I wonder if they recieved the same lecture about consideration?
Due to witnessing all this my husband, children and I wont be coming back to camp at Flanagans nor will we be recomending Flanagans Reserve to others.
kat05

Postby rayrod007 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:55 pm

Hi ,
Our family camped at Flannagans Reserve over the Xmas break. The ranger and his right hand man in tow were both rude and stand overish when we were told to turn our generator off. We apologised stating that we had not recieved any information on the park rules and had turned it on when we heard a few other campers using theirs. Very rude and intimidating! Now with my other beef- The amenities blocks were absolutley disgusting. My husband and i estimated there was approx 300 adults camping over this period so about 150 women as a guess. (not including children). The state of the ladies showers and toilets was unacceptable when that many people were using the facilities. I noted that there was a mop in a dirty water bucket on the day of my arrival standing in the middle of the amenties walkway. 4 days later it was still sitting there. The toilets were in a terrible state as was the shower. Park staff should have a limit of campers so the amenties are able to properly accomadate campers. Not to mention the showers and loos should be cleaned out early each morning b4 guest rise, especially when catering for this many people. It is a health hazard. We wont be back! :(
rayrod007

Postby ScottyB » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:07 am

I think the pivotal issue here is that being such a great part of the country out there that people will keep on going anyway. I wonder if being a caretaker you get paid a percentage of the fees you take, or, is it just a wage? This may impact on how they treat people.

I didn't find them intimidating. I did find them blunt however. I don't mind that. Perhaps their stress levels hit the roof over the big breaks as well with so many people around?

I agree the rules are strict, and their enforcement of those rules is quite rigorous. Perhaps this is a positive for others who are their more regular guests and prefer the serenity.

The amenities block out there would not cope with the numbers in a peak period though, and it would be a logical consequence I guess that they get run down in the hygiene department. This is not really an excuse though. We are self sufficient with toilets and showers, but sometimes to lighten the load I leave them behind when I know we are headed to somewhere with good amenities.

When we were there I did drop into Bigriggen for a look and it certainly had a much nicer feel about it, nice big paddock of neatly cut grass with plenty of open (for solar) or shad option, but we might have to leave the pooch behind if we go there.
ScottyB
Captain Camping

Postby kat05 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:46 am

My understanding is that Flanagan's is leased to the current management by the EPA (lease up soon), and while I understand the need for rules (some people have absolutely no common sense) I just felt the management could have been more tactful in it's dealing with campers. The park on the whole is family friendly with all the regular campers being friendly, no rowdy parties, though if your planning on camping there I would recommend having a complete understanding of the rules because the current management have no understanding if you happen to unwittingly break one.
kat05

PreviousNext

Return to Queensland