VIC - Murrindindi Scenic Reserve, Rubicon Valley (Buxton)

VIC - Murrindindi Scenic Reserve, Rubicon Valley (Buxton)

Postby mouth » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:26 pm

Murrindindi Scenic Reserve is approx 1.5 hrs from Melbourne in the NE direction, approx. 40km passed Healesville and near Buxton.

Entry to the Reserve is after approx 5km of good quality dirt road (no concerns for trailers, motorhomes, or caravans etc.). There is approx 7 camping area's along an additional 5 km of dirt road that runs parallel to the river. At the entrance to reserve is an unmanned ranger station accepting $5 per night fee's. It has over 100 structured camp sites, with each area having between approx. 10 and 30 campsites. Each area has a toilet (hole in ground with roof), with the larger areas also having new recently built toilet 'blocks' with more modern toilets.

Each area has different size campsites, with many of the sites (at least half) also having a wooden picnic table and steel bbq plate/stand. Many (the vast majority ... all?) campsites also have fire pits (holes dug into ground, coals) from previous visitors. Wood for a fire is plentiful, with a tomahawk useful/required to get some larger logs from fallen tree's etc. otherwise lots of groundwood/kindling is all around.

The river is small (more a creek) but has lots of drinkable water (I still carry my own in some plastic jerry cans). I say drinkable because it's very clear and tasted great, but we still used our own for drinking and cooking since it was right beside us and we didn;t have to fetch/carry any from the river to our site. You could paddle in the river, but I doubt there would be any spots deep enough to swim in, certainly none I saw. There is plenty of sign posted walking tracks all along the reserve, and 4 or 6 bridges (some being bouncy/suspension, which my daughter loved) for accessing the walking tracks. We did a 5km return hike to see a terrific natural waterfall, and soothed our feet in the water pools below it.

Directions: From Melbourne, travel along the Melba Highway to the intersection of Murrindindi Road just before Devlins Bridge. Turn right and drive 10 km to the Reserve.

We (myself, wife, and 2.5yo) stayed a couple of weeks back (mid Dec.) for a weekend and it was a terrific spot. Virtually deserted, there was only us in the whole camping area we stayed in (Bull Creek area, 5km along dirt road from start of reserve), with the other areas between us and the start of the reserve only having a few campers or none.

Map (via toiletmap.gov.au) :) ... http://www.toiletmap.gov.au/browse.aspx ... cfd7330f3f

Department of Sustainability and Environment (DSE) :
The Murrindindi Scenic Reserve, situated in the northern end of the Toolangi State forest, provides excellent opportunities for recreational activities such as camping, bushwalking, picnicking, horse riding, fishing and mountain bike riding. The area comprises a variety of environments, including tumbling waterfalls, soaring Mountain Ash forests and damp fern-filled gullies. The reserve is a very popular camping venue with approximately 100 campsites scattered along several kilometres of the banks of the Murrindindi River. Most sites and their surrounds are flat and provide reasonable access for people with disabilities.

http://www.dse.vic.gov.au/CA256F310024B ... +Guide.pdf
http://www.dse.vic.gov.au/DSE/nrenfor.n ... A40011DC7F

Last edited by mouth on Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mouth
Boy Scout

Re: VIC - Murrindindi Scenic Reserve, Rubicon Valley (Buxton)

Postby Bradd » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:52 am

Thanks for the report and it's good to see a fellow Victorian in here.

I have read the DSE visitor guide for Murrindindi Scenic Reserve before
and have considered checking it out one day, but a review from an actual
camper makes it sound better.

We have an almost 2 yo who has so far enjoyed our camping experiences.
We were worried about her running off and getting lost, but she has so far
kept her wandering to within 20 meters or so of the camp.

We're off to the Grampians next week for 5 days and hope to
make a report of a couple of the campgrounds soon after getting back.
Hopefully I will remember to take some photos, last time took plenty of
the kid but not much of the campground.
Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations.
When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong. ~George Carlin
Bradd
Camping Oracle

Postby HGMonaro » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:01 pm

sounds like a great spot for a weekend! thanks for the report!
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby mouth » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:10 pm

Bradd wrote:We're off to the Grampians next week for 5 days and hope to
make a report of a couple of the campgrounds soon after getting back.
Hopefully I will remember to take some photos, last time took plenty of
the kid but not much of the campground.

We are going to go there (Grampians) in the next 6-10 weeks, as it's a good half-way spot to meet family from Mildura who will camp with us. Thus, I will look forward to your review :)

Your mention of pictures reminded me I took a couple of Murrindindi with my mobile phone, so have added one to my original post that shows the camping spot with picnic table, bbq plate, and fire hole.
mouth
Boy Scout

Postby OzeBoy » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:28 am

Checked this place out a few months back to see what all the fuss about. The place was a hole. It was absolutely packed (on this one occassion), half of the campsites were closed, campsites were dug up with holes in them, and hoons and drunken bogans EVERYWHERE! Was so happy to get out of there. Might check it out again one day as it may have been a bad time we went. Still, the images in my mind of what we saw was like a squatters yard. Not very scenic.
OzeBoy
Camping King

Return to Victoria