Camping in Victoria - March. And an Introduction...

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Camping in Victoria - March. And an Introduction...

Postby vicky_w » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:25 pm

Hi All,
Very nice to 'meet' you all! I've been reading through the forum for a while and have finally signed up! yay!

So I think this thread will be a work in progress thread... as I slowly figure out where my next camping trip is going to be.

At this stage, I'm taking 3 weeks off in March to drive down to Victoria with my boyfriend to camp around and visit melbourne for a few days as well.

And that's basically where my plans end. hehehe Yep haven't got anything organised yet. But if anyone can recommend some beautiful countryside/ hikes then I'd love to hear about them, or just post a link to where you've already written about it. :-)

So a bit about me: I'm a photographer working in Brisbane and I have my own business which mainly does real estate photography, but I also do commercial work, products, portraits, catalogues etc. Basically anything! :-) I also freelance for the newspaper which is lots of fun. I'm originally from Cairns and have done heaps of camping around FNQ - never really luxurious camping so I'm looking forward to roughing it again in a couple of months on such a big trip. But I know absolutely nothing about the victorian landscape so I'm going to be doing a lot of reading over the next few weeks.

I'm Looking forward to reading a lot more on this forum!

- Vicky
vicky_w

Re: Camping in Victoria - March. And an Introduction...

Postby Blue Bravo » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:25 pm

Suggest you consider taking in some of the high country, based around Bright. You have choice of accommodation in the various towns or some rough camping in the National Parks. 4X4 is needed to really explore the area but you can still access some lovely spots by 2 wheel drive.
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby encorepi » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:14 pm

So I am from Phillip Island, famous for it's penguin parade. I love living here, and I love the landscape, although nothing "wildernessy" still pretty. Bright I would agree with. I also love Wilsons Promentory (or however you spell it). Mostly a camping place, national park but they have hot showers, a big shop and really fantastic walks, hikes, beaches, bush, even a two day lighthouse hike.

Have fun. Kids are home, have to keep going.

Jodi
encorepi
Boy Scout

Postby Bradd » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:44 pm

Wilsons Promontory

If you like hiking this is a great place, spectacular scenery from one side of the prom
to the other if you do the circuit from
Tidal river - Sealers Cove - Refuge Cove - Waterloo Bay - Oberon Bay - Tidal River
I have done this circuit several times (when I was younger)
or as already mentioned the hike to the Lighthouse.
Did I mention the great scenery :mrgreen:

Sealers Cove
http://www.4015.com/australia/main/DSC03388.jpg
Refuge Cove
http://www.flickr.com/photos/snaz/149213989/

The Grampians National Park
Is well worth a visit.
While I have not done any hikes there, there are plenty to do

Just select the parks from the list for more info
http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/1process_ ... activity=5
Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations.
When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong. ~George Carlin
Bradd
Camping Oracle

Return to Camping Tips and Locations