The Dream Pot

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

The Dream Pot

Postby CCC » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:23 pm

yes thats what I'm after .... who has one, pros and cons from using one please.

What size do you have ?
Do they work ?
easy ? etc etc etc
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Re: The Dream Pot

Postby CampGrrlz » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:41 pm

CCC wrote:pros and cons from using one please. ... What size do you have ? ... Do they work ? ... easy ?

OK - so I have one of these things. Ah, size ... mmm, it's not the smallest since it has two inner pots.

Pros and cons ... some meals lend themselves more to using a Dream Pot than others.

1. there must be enough hot bulk to make holding the heat most efficient. Meaning that doing a meal of oatmeal overnight will guarantee everything is cold in the morning. But doing something like a couple of cups of dried beans with boiling water in the small pot will keep the heat in for several hours.

2. the cooking, however, is a bit uneven - or at least, cooking dried beans/chickpeas means some are cooked better than others. This might be variation within the beans themselves. I suspect that cooking similar-sized pieces of meat might be more satisfactory than the beans for which I've mostly used it.

3. the Greens have an email list where they send out seasonal recipes. There are hundreds of recipes sent in by people who have cooked those dishes in their Dream Pots. To that extent the recipes are a valuable beginning but experiment before you travel.

4. there are many CMCA members who use Dream Pots extensively and have high praise for them. From my reading, setting the meal to cook before you leave in the morning ensures you have something hot when you arrive. This seems to be the most common use for DPs. And something which I have not done, since I've mostly used it for cooking beans and I don't have a campervan although so long as you can keep it upright, travelling it in a trailer or car should be OK.

5. if you prefer stews over roasts then a DP would be fine since a lot of hot condensation is produced. I make the guess that if you want a roast then something like a Cobb oven might do the trick.

6. the insulation is very effective and a DP can be used to keep stuff cold, too. I haven't tried that but I have seen it used to keep meat hot when cooking a bbq for a lot of people.

7. simple to use and clean - yes. All stainless steel, just heat up all the ingredients until everything is hot right through. Pop on the lid, put into the DP and await results.

Happy cooking ;-)

Elaine and Elaine
Two old boilers are armchair Glampers ;-)
CampGrrlz
Camping Queens

Postby CCC » Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:50 pm

:grin: thankyou very much Elaine and Elaine
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Derek Bullock » Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:51 pm

I know the Gypsy girl uses one of these a lot and has good things to say about them. Shes off camping somewhere at the moment but I am sure she will pick up on it when she gets back.
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby steve&Kate » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:09 am

Hope this helps.

I had purchased a Dreampot from BCF on special for $219 a couple of months back, once I got it home and had a look was not impressed, the saucepans were very thin, do not have any sort of base on them at all, also the inside of the Dreampot is plastic, I then check out the Thermal Shuttle & returned the Dreampot.

The Thermal Shuttle is made by Thermos and although more expensive is a much stronger looking product, the saucepans have a heavy base, also the inside of the shuttle where you place your saucepans is stainless steet were the Dreampot is plastic, think the Dreamport Warrenty is 1 year and the thermal shuttle is 5 years).

Makes the best lamb shanks the meat falls off the bone and so easy, shanks, carrots, onions, garlic, thyme, 1 cup of stock, 1 cup of red wine & one can of tomatoes, I use one of the 3 litre saucepans for this, in the other 3 litre saucepan will throw in some chat pototes boil for 5 minutes stick both saucepans into the shuttle and dinner is ready, the centre of the potatoes come out really creamy for some reason, I usually toss the potatoes in butter, parsely & finely chopped onion, the best dinner ever.

Have also made the best carrot cake ever, so moist, the recipe is on there webpage.

I use this product at home all the time, I have the 2 x 3 litre saucepans and the 6 litre saucepan, the 6 litre comes in handy as a large billy.

Check out the product and the recipes.

http://www.thermalcookware.com/index.php

A cooking Demo http://www.thermalcookware.com/main.php ... amic&id=43

Cheers Hope that helps
steve&Kate
Camping King

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:06 pm

You might want to check out this post viewtopic.php?f=64&t=2497&p=18489&hilit=Dream+Pot#p18489

And this post too viewtopic.php?f=107&t=2601&hilit=Dream+Pot

It is purely a matter of opinion, if the DP was an inferior product Barry and Merran would not still be selling them after all these years. https://www.dreampot.com.au/

I have well and truely recouped the original cost of my DP just in the savings of energy alone and what cost do you put on convenience and ease of use??

http://www.goseeaustralia.com.au/articl ... is_wanted/
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby steve&Kate » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:08 am

Hi gypsylady,

What really made me look into the Dreampot verse the Shuttle was that the Dreamport instructions advise they are not suitable to be used on a ceramic cooktop due to the base being so thin, if you use them they will bounce about & my cooktop is ceramic, I then started reading different thread on different site (eg 4wd and other camping type forums, bottom line was the shuttle won out).

Sure the Dreamport has it's place at the lower end of the market, with the shuttle I have 2x 3 litre saucepans and a 6 litre with is a great billy.

Cheers
steve&Kate
Camping King

Postby steve&Kate » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:37 am

This link explains a little about the thermal shuttle, Suitable for all stove types including induction.

http://www.goseeaustralia.com.au/produc ... ttle_chef/

Cheers
steve&Kate
Camping King

Postby Pizzabox » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:33 am

We have been really confused with all of the different brands on the market now and so I did a bit of serious research first and tried out a number of them that friends owned.

All of them worked OK but the saucepans on the Thermos were far superior with a really heavy base and they seemed to work on any stove top (not like some of the cheaper ones) and even worked well on my Cobb

The meals all seem to cook Ok in each of them although there is a lot of fiddling with stirring and making sure that the food does stick and burn with the lighter saucepan models however I must say that the Thermos did stay much hotter for a longer period which meant that we really could put the meal on in the morning and it was still very hot that evening and we couldn't do that with any of the others.

This would have to be the vacuum insulation as all of the others appear to be only foam insulated (and we have experienced the diiference between foam and vacuum drink flasks many times before to understand the differences)

I did chase around on the web in China and was amazed to see literally hundreds of the foam insulated ones at around $25.00 but only one vacuum insulated travellers slow cooker (Thermos) and it was not much cheaper overseas (Singapore had the cheapest at $190.00)

My reasearch did come up with the fact that the Thermos slow cooker was invented over 100 years ago and (I think) they were the inventors of this concept.

What tipped the final balance was the 5 year warranty from a reutable firm and the range of accessories available to make the unit a more serviceable cooking system.

I suppose the choice is yours and it is good to have choices (albeit confusing) and we have made our choice and are really happy with our final choice as we tend to use it at home more than we do when travelling now as it is such a time and energy saver.

Pizzabox
Pizzabox

Postby acraig » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:42 am

There is also this: http://www.ecopot.com.au/index.html

Seen them in Batemans Bay last week. They were doing a deal on them $290 and the accessories pack for free. Once again they looked stronger than the dream pot. Funds are a bit low after christmas/new year to have bought one though :(
acraig

Return to Gear Guide