techniice deal

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

techniice deal

Postby encorepi » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:03 am

Hi all

I have been wondering about buying something to keep stuff cold. Techniice has a great deal 60l icebox for $135 delivered with 6 free of their ice sheet thingys.

Does anyone know if this deal happens often? I would rather do it next year but fear not making a decision may cost me more.

Thanks in advance.

jodi
encorepi
Boy Scout

Re: techniice deal

Postby HGMonaro » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:18 am

I've used those Techniice things and I'm not convinced about them. I reckon a couple of 2lt juice bottles frozen at home do a better job. You can then drink the water once they melt :)
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby steve&Kate » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:26 am

Have to agree with HGMonaro here, we had 6 sheets and I threw the lot out a couple of months ago, thought they were a waste of money.

Cheers

HGMonaro wrote:I've used those Techniice things and I'm not convinced about them. I reckon a couple of 2lt juice bottles frozen at home do a better job. You can then drink the water once they melt :)
steve&Kate
Camping King

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:46 pm

HGMonaro wrote:I've used those Techniice things and I'm not convinced about them. I reckon a couple of 2lt juice bottles frozen at home do a better job. You can then drink the water once they melt :)

I totally agree with this too....never use my techni ice and yes those deals are on offer on a regular basis.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby encorepi » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:56 pm

Hi

Thanks everyone for your responses. The comments made seem to be on the techniice sheets? Is that correct??

The deal is on the actual ice boxes (the sheets are a bonus) anyone with experience on the ice boxes??

At the moment we have a really cheap willow esky (30L) and those Coles Cooler Bags.

Jodi
encorepi
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:00 pm

From what I have seen Jodi, the ice box itself it pretty good.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Pauly » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:58 pm

If you can afford it buy the fibre glass eva cools, much better.

The techni ice deals are a continuos thing, the website automatically changes the dates everyweek.
Pauly
Post Machine!

Postby Bradd » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:10 pm

The ice boxes are fine, the sheets are just a bonus, they work ,
but not as well as a few 2 liter frozen water bottles.

Deal / price seems to have been the same or very similar for quite some time
Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations.
When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong. ~George Carlin
Bradd
Camping Oracle

Postby OzJeeper » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:37 pm

If you are just a weekender then an ICE CHEST will suit you just fine. It will keep the food cold enough to keep and be safe.

Longer than a weekender? Maybe a base camper? Look for a 3-way. Crap on 12volt and will just maintain cool on the way there and back. Plug into 240v or plug in the LPG - they are brilliant!

Longer time away? Concerned about keeping food fresh and chilled? Go for a compressor model such as Waeco or Engel. They will do the job admirably on 12volt for as long as you want (or have a good battery or 2)

With MEAT you need to keep a close eye on temperature. Vegies aren't that fussy and as long as they are cool, they will keep and be edible. Again it's how long you are going to be away, ambient temperature, food type and whether it's cryovac or not....

cheers
OzJeeper
Boy Scout

Postby Derek Bullock » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:50 pm

encorepi wrote:Hi all

I have been wondering about buying something to keep stuff cold. Techniice has a great deal 60l icebox for $135 delivered with 6 free of their ice sheet thingys.

Does anyone know if this deal happens often? I would rather do it next year but fear not making a decision may cost me more.

Thanks in advance.

jodi

Jodi

Not sure if yo are an eBayer or not but I bought mine there. Techni sell on eBay and if you know how much you are prepared to spend and bid accordingly you can pick them up at a good price. Check out the delivery and price that in accordingly.

Here is their listing http://shop.ebay.com.au/merchant/unbelievablycool

They are a great cooler.

Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby ben... » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:07 pm

the technice sheets are ok, i use frozen 2ltr bottles on the bottom, and use the sheets as a "sheet" over the top of all the food to hold in that cold. Just got back from 3 nights and its all still frozen
ben...
Post Machine!

Postby acraig » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:18 pm

I`ll agree with that. Just got back from Tomakin after 5 days. Used 3 x 2lt cordial bottles and a bag of ice, they were still 3/4 frozen when I got home
acraig

Postby Teabag » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:18 pm

The esky themselves are very good and hard to fault. I have a 120ltr and 40ltr and both have served me well and with good block ice and good management you will easily get a week without topping up with ice......I also have a 65 ltr Weaco esky which is the fibreglass type and they are very hard to spill beside the Weaco being more expensive......

2006 GU4 4.2TDi Patrol with 2005 Limited Edition Kimberley Kamper and plenty of goodies.

http://www.4wdmonthly.com.au/shed/index.php?id=1003
Teabag
Captain Camping

Return to Gear Guide