What is the ideal family icebox?

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

What is the ideal family icebox?

Postby kt007 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:14 pm

We need to replace our esky. After careful consideration - icebox, gas fridge, battery fridge, budget, budget, budget - we have finally decided that an icebox is the way to go for us. We are a family of 4 and probably go camping 3-4 times a year. Does anyone have any advice about iceboxes and what size/brand is the best. We are currently looking at the EvaKool 110ltr but maybe this is toooooooo big???

If there is another thread that covers this topic please send me there!!! Thanks :-bang
kt007

Re: What is the ideal family icebox?

Postby HGMonaro » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:10 pm

this question really depends on how long you sit in the one place... if it's for a week or more, get yourself a gas fridge. If it's for a couple of days, the ice box will do the job. If you move around then a 12V compressor fridge with dual battery setup in the car.
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby Gunna Do » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:39 am

kt007,

We bought an Evakool fibreglass eskya couple of years ago. (50ltr I think) These eskies are brilliant for keeping things cold and do not use a lot of ice (party ice lasts about 3-4 days if not opened too regularly) If there was a down side to them it would be the fibreglass base, as I am a little paranoid about not putting the esky on any rocks etc which may crack or damage the fibreglass.

I have heard very good reports about the Technice (Think thats the spelling) brand of esky but have had not personal experience with them.

Have had friends buy a Poly type esky and I think they were a little disapointed with its ice keeping ability.

Good luck with your decision.
Image from GUNNA DO
Gunna Do
Camping King

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:11 am

I like my tropical icebox.

Its 52L, and I can usually fill it up pretty quickly with just myself and a mate or 2. So for a family of 4, go as big as you can fit and afford. 110L sounds ok but its by no means huge.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Troyk » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:42 am

I have a 82L Tropical (the orange ones). What we do is have 1/3 ice, which is 9 frozen 3L milk bottles wih water, vacuum pack the food and then freeze it. We have been away for a week and the ice is still there. You can use sealable bags in lieu of the vacuum bags, but you will need to use the contents within 2 days once thawed.

The Tropical is well made and has plenty of insulation (ie the lid is 75mm), while some other brands are made overseas and do not have the same level of insulation.

Anyhow I hope that helps. :mrgreen:
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby Bradd » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:27 pm

I bought an 80 litre box from Techni Ice for $149
http://www.techniice.com/english/iceboxes.asp

Only used it once so far and am pretty happy with it
Despite hot weather (high 20s - low 30s), not keeping it in the shade
and opening it 2 or 3 times a day, after 4 days the 4 X 2L frozen bottles of water
and the 6 techni ice sheets were at least half frozen still.
4th night stayed in a cabin (wife didn't like idea of tenting it in a thunderstorm)
and refroze a couple of bottles and ice sheets
so can't really say how long originals would have lasted but
7th day most things on the bottom were just frozen, everything else was cold enough

Only prob I have with it is its height, at 20 inches it only just fits in the boot of the Commodore
and the Camper Trailer is approx 18.5 inches deep, so I have had to unscrew one the under bed
hatch hinges in order to fit it in comfortably for transport.
Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations.
When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong. ~George Carlin
Bradd
Camping Oracle

Postby CCC » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:40 pm

hi kt007

I had similar questions early 08

viewtopic.php?f=107&t=2353

I ended up getting 2 80L techni ice iceboxes.

hope this can help a little :grin:
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby ben... » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:37 pm

i have a tropical and technice both 85ltr. i use one for drinks one for food, the reason we use 2 it to keep the kids OUT of the food esky, as they are really only intrested in drinks and can open and close the one as many times as they like.

both compare pretty much the same, some pro and cons either way with these 2, but if it comes down to price, the technice wins hands down, they are so cheap.
ben...
Post Machine!

Postby kt007 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:07 pm

Thanks for all the advice - very much appreciated. We have ended up with the EvaKool 85ltr and hope to test it out very soon. I do like the idea of a 2nd esky just for drinks so will look at the technice later down the track - see hoe the next camping trip goes!! Will let you all know.
kt007

Postby Komodo » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:27 pm

as someone who uses an 80L compressor fridge I can definately reccomend having a seperate ice box for drinks. Opening and closing the "main" ice box (or in my case fridge) for drinks all day makes the ice melt (drains your battery) far too quick.
Definately recomend freezing food in vacuum bags before travelling. try not to place "warm" items into a cold fridge/ice box.

I'm looking at getting an ice box purely for drinks. The Techniice boxes will probably get my tick as techniice is not 5 minutes from my house. A mate has a techniice ice box and last year he tested it and got just under 3 weeks with 2kg of dry ice and 9kg of party ice opening it only once a day.

With my compressor fridge I actually take items for my dinner OUT of the fridge in the morning because other wise they wont thaw in time for dinner. Addmittedly I run my freezer flat out all the time. Actually I have a whole bunch of flat beers out in the shed because it fooze my beers in the fridge compartment when i hadnt opened it for 2 weeks
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Return to Gear Guide