camping virgins and camp spot req'd 2hrs from sydney

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

camping virgins and camp spot req'd 2hrs from sydney

Postby lucasmcscott » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:51 pm

hey guys and gals

im new to this forum and i guess many people have asked this question before

a few mates (who havent been camping before) have asked me to organise a camping trip for my group of mates somwhere within 2-2.5 hours from sydney, preferrably inland and close to a river for fishing and swimming. i have only recently moved back to sydney after nearly ten years down the far south coast of nsw (tathra) where i did a lot of camping and hiking (nadgee and the like) so i am kinda new to finding decent spots in this part of the world

could anyone suggest some camping spot ideas. i have in mind bungonia, wollondilly river station (yes, posts on this place have made for some interesting reading) and mango brush

any advice would be appreciated

thanks in advance for any advice
lucasmcscott

Re: camping virgins and camp spot req'd 2hrs from sydney

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:49 pm

Colo river. Google maps it and just go for a drive to find a good spot. There's a park under the putty road bridge you can camp at as a back up if you don't find anything better. Not a real nice spot but a great river to swim in.

Or Lithgow or anything you've already mentioned. Bathurst, Sofala, Brindabella ranges near the ACT if its summer. Mt Wattagan on the central coast, Barrington tops.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Jo&Kev » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:04 pm

A little bit further than 2hrs, but near Canberra is a little place called Wee Jasper. There are a couple of camping areas there, on the river and some have toilets and hot showers and are pet friendly.

I have never camped there because I live in Yass, the nearby 'big' town. We visit the place a couple of time a year for events and it is nice. Winter is cold but this time of the year it is a wonderful bush location. If you get there and hate the place you can always come back up to Yass and camp at a 'van park or one of the motels.

The good thing about this forum is that you are likely to see both sides of the coin when it comes to locations.

Kev
Our blog - with bigger pics!
http://actnswcamping.blogspot.com/
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Postby Blue Bravo » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:06 pm

A couple of National Park camp site close to Sydney for you to consider are Bents Basin (between Camden and Penrith) Cattai National Park (outside of Windsor) Ku-ring-gai Chase and Dunns Swamp in Wollemi NP.
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby missy » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:32 pm

Blue Bravo wrote:A couple of National Park camp site close to Sydney for you to consider are Bents Basin (between Camden and Penrith)

Camping is allowed at Bents Basin? Cool.
missy
Camping King

Postby Pauly » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:48 am

If you campers want a softer introduction you could try riverwood downs

We have camped there just ask to be in the paddock and not on the river, camp sites are small and the paddock is flatter. Riverwood is great for first timers because it has plenty of under cover areas if it rains including indoor tennis, couple of free pool tables bar and restaurant. The rivers good for swimming in also.

It has all the amenities of a caravan park without the caravan park feel.

Wolondilly river would be ok as well as long as you dont get the owners on a bad day :)
Pauly
Post Machine!

Postby lucasmcscott » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:30 pm

Cheers everyone for the advice :)
lucasmcscott

Return to Camping Tips and Locations