Upgrade to Forum

Forum Rules, post questions, comments or suggestions, about this forum or website.

Upgrade to Forum

Postby Activity_Dept » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:22 pm

Well I got ambitious and upgraded the forum hopefully this will resolve the bug in the previous vrs and we can start refining this into something we are all happy with. There are a number of changes and new Forums, I am happy to hear your comments on what should come and/or what should go. I have focused a little more on the community aspect hopefully this is along the line of at least the majority of members. But I am open to hearing your comments and bug reports (tech problems). There are still a number of things to fix, i.e. Topic and Post counts etc. but these will come in over the next few days, also I may have lost a couple of posts during the change over but hopefully not.

Anyway let me know your comments.

Thank you
:armsup :armsup :armsup
The admin guy.
Discover Camping
Activity_Dept
Site Admin

Re: Upgrade to Forum

Postby Derek Bullock » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:04 pm

Hi

With the upgrade private messages are not available

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Derek Bullock » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:01 pm

Derek wrote:Hi

Derek

I just got an email from Admin saying that I have a PM but still unable to open them??????
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby AussieSunset » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:03 pm

I like that there's a camping family section now as mine consists of furless and and fury family members. :+
Life is what happens when you've made other plans. :)
AussieSunset
Blatant Padder

Postby Ricklanga » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:52 pm

The search function doesn't appear to be working. I searched for the word "tarp" and returned no results. I have seen quite a few posts in the past about tarps. Will try the long way I guess.

--
Richard.
It always rains on tents. Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds for the opportunity to rain on a tent.
Ricklanga
Post Machine!

Postby Derek Bullock » Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:44 pm

Derek wrote:
Derek wrote:Hi

Derek

I just got an email from Admin saying that I have a PM but still unable to open them??????

Thanks to the Admin Guy.

PM's are now working again.

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby amanda » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:44 am

I've only had a relatively quick look at the new format, but so far it looks good to me - congratulations!
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt - then it's bloody hilarious!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby stevo. » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:14 pm

Activity_Dept wrote:I am happy to hear your comments on what should come and/or what should go.

Well done on the upgrade and good on ya for keeping up the interest. Sometimes admins lose interest and members get a bit bored because there's no new input or changes.

Suggestions only....

1. I think the Camper Trailers / Caravan & 5th Wheelers / Motorhomes & Campervans could be combined in to one forum, as i don't think there's enough members to make the traffic in three separate forums.

2. Have only one forum for "For Sale / Wanted". There's is currently two. Again, not enough traffic to fill two sections, and people may get confused.

3. Camping Tips and Locations & Favourite Places to go and Things to do are very similar?

4. Remove all sub forums from the The Great State Photo Comp. forum and just have one Australia wide based competition as there's some sub forums completely empty and i can't see them being filled.

That'll do for now.. i better pull my head back in :cheers
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby amanda » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:30 am

Correct me if I'm wrong and I just can't find it, but has the Introduction section gone? I notice that a new member has placed an "introduction" in the State Photo Comp area. "Introductions" did give new members a chance to tell a little about themselves, where they were from and the style of camping they enjoyed, and it was an obvious area for a newbie to start off.

Oh - and I agree with what Meeky says, especially in relation to Camper Trailers / Caravan & 5th Wheelers / Motorhomes & Campervans. There is usually a bit in the CT one, but very little in the others.
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt - then it's bloody hilarious!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Activity_Dept » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:30 pm

Hey folks,

Meeky and anyone else please know your comments are always welcome here. I take nothing personally #@$!@#%# :shock: well almost nothing. You have contributed a lot and it is appreciated believe me. You to Amanda, I really appreciate all the support, the Friday Funnies :lol: etc. that you do around here so thank you both. :beer

Firstly the best part of the upgrade is we can now modify the forums without the site going haywire ::() which means I can actually do something about feedback. With respect to the Introductions yes it seemed to have disappeared but I have got it back these forums seem to do that now and again. :shock:

Point taken about the motor homes and caravans, they are areas I would like to expand on and there are actually a few posts in there and other areas of the site specific to these topics but I have not moved them across and also you may have noted the topic and post counts did not work on all forums some show no or few posts when actually they have a number of them so this is on my to fix list also.

I think rationalizing the multiple selling areas is a good one, the Camping tips and favourites are simular and yes the states in the pics section is a little much, I did want to break up the Park Reviews by State I guess this is where the idea came from (just to see how it would work). With most of these I did want to expand the interest of the forum a little further afield into both the general community (moms and families) and RV'ers. So this is why I beefed up these and a few other areas a little. I now just have to get the people here somehow, so any ideas :idea: on that would be great also?

But I will try and put together a list of mods and tackle them over the next few weeks.

Thanks again, believe me ideas and feedback are always appreciated. :grin:

Regards,

:cheers
The admin guy.
Discover Camping
Activity_Dept
Site Admin

Postby AussieSunset » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:57 pm

I think breaking up the park reviews into states is a good idea coz when is see a park review and it has no state on it i dont know what state till either i look up the place to find out where it is or have to read the whole post only to find it's on the other side of the country. Not that i dont like reading all the park reviews but it just makes it easier when it comes to looking for a certain state is all.

Great job on the upgrade though. :+ :+ :+
Life is what happens when you've made other plans. :)
AussieSunset
Blatant Padder

Postby stevo. » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:44 pm

Activity_Dept wrote:Hey folks,

Meeky and anyone else please know your comments are always welcome here. I take nothing personally #@$!@#%# :shock: well almost nothing.

I now just have to get the people here somehow, so any ideas :idea: on that would be great also?

It's good to see when comments/suggestions are made to admin they don't get upset. Not sure if you visit other forums, but some aren't very good at communicating or debating without becoming upset.

If you have a spare few million you can boost up your rankings on Google or have a little advert on the side of the Google pages, but i guess that's not going to happen.. :-bang

I frequent 4wd forums and have started a few and found the most traffic comes from word of mouth, quality and usefull infomation.

1. Some users will tell users on other forums, via real life conversations, Private Messages, or by posting a link in there post while talking about relevant info in a general discussion.
2. All forum scripts allow you to have a "Signature" below each post you make, so put a link to here in there on relevant forums. For example, i have "my pics - www.oz4x4.com" as my signature.

You might be surprised how many people click on these links and wonder around the forums looking at wierd stuff. Also these links are picked up by all the Bots, Google, Yahoo etc, so the more links there are that point to this site the better rankings you have on all the search engines.

bla bla bla.. where was i? oh.. more beer :cheers

So now you're creating traffic inwards... then you have to keep them....

Demographic? I assume we have age 30 - 70? .. and i think it's more around 50s?

1. A nice easy to use, not too confusing, easy to navigate site. ( i think this could be improved )
I think some people on this site (including me) get a bit lost in some of the forums as some have similiar uses and subforums are confusing so i tend to not even look at them.

2. Usefull information. I think this is probably ok and being looked after by most members as they posting good information.

my view would be, we have enough traffic coming in. We just have to keep them coming back.

again, thanks for listening to my wierdo posts :cheers
stevo.

Postby stevo. » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:13 pm

and maybe a logo to replace the current "phpbb". Something like this... not sure how it suits..

:cheers
stevo.

Postby Derek Bullock » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:08 pm

Just a point of interest but are you all aware that this forum is actually a sub forum of a camping site.

http://camping.com.au/
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Activity_Dept » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:01 pm

Hey Meeky, some good comments there, you have given me a good idea also. I will polish it a little and run it by you. The logo is great it will go up as soon as I remember where I put this upgraded forum well, remember the password to the new server or wait for the tech anyway.

Derek, thank you for that, yes we are affiliated with the camping website.

Regards,
::)
The admin guy.
Discover Camping
Activity_Dept
Site Admin

Return to Forum Rules, Questions & Comments.