Weekend Tent - Size Suggestions Please

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Weekend Tent - Size Suggestions Please

Postby LeahS » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:04 pm

Hi, Our family lost their camping virginity (at a Caravan park) at Christmas time so sorry for the silly question...

We are planning some more camping trips but this time only for the weekend and are considering getting a smaller tent (we have a biggish 3 room dome tent - which was perfect for two weeks, but I can't say I want to put in up for only a couple of nights stay).

Given that we would only be camping for the weekend does anyone have any suggestions on what size tent we would need for 2 adults and 2 children to sleep plus a little space to store clothes etc. We know that a 4 man tent will only fit 4 bodies and not much else, we were thinking a 6 or 8 person tent however thought 8 man tent might be overdoing it.

Thanks heaps.
LeahS
Boy Scout

Re: Weekend Tent - Size Suggestions Please

Postby Blue Bravo » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:57 pm

There is not much difference in putting up a 6 or 8 man tent. The three rooer seems about right -1for you and and old man 1 for kids and 1 for the gear
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:05 pm

If you don't mind all bunking in together then a 6 person with vestibule style should do the trick. Make sure it is tall enough to stand up all the way round in it though.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Argle » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:48 am

I would stick with the three room tent, you will miss the space if you get something smaller and if the weather turns nasty like bucketing rain you will be glad of the extra space. Time to set up will get quicker as you get more practiced so save your money for other camping goodies instead!

Cheers and beers
Scott
Argle
Captain Camping

Postby LeahS » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:04 am

That's for the tips - looks like we need to think it out a little further - we are going away for Aust Day long weekend so we will see how we go with the three roomer.

[As for getting faster at putting up our tent Scott (which I know we will) my husband made us practice putting it up in our front yard 4 times before we used it - I thought I was pretty fast]
LeahS
Boy Scout

Postby Argle » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:17 am

Hey Leah, 4 times!!! wow!! I remember when we got our new dome tent many years ago we did the whole put it up in the backyard before going thing, and as usual for us it was a case of when all else fails read the instructions! During the errection process there was some pretty heated "discussion" and colourful language going on. It was only when we had finished we noticed the neighbours over the back fence were having an open home while trying to sell their house and the yard was full of prospective new buyers who would have gotten an earful of their prospective new neighbours :*** We were in stitches for ages!! All part of the fun of camping hey!!

Cheers and beers
Scott
Argle
Captain Camping

Postby amanda » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:56 am

I take it your neighbours didn't get a buyer on that particular weekend!
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt - then it's bloody hilarious!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby garbage » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:49 pm

I'd have a look at the canvas touring tents as they take all of 5 minutes to erect and maybe 10 minutes to pack away. Erecting is just a matter of hammering pegs into the four corners and putting in the centre pole. Oztrail has some entry level ones around the $400 mark if I'm not mistaken. I have a similar one and it comfortably sleeps 2 adults / 2 children + luggage. The disadvantage is that when packed, they are still quite heavy and are usually 1m x 1m.
garbage
Camping Veteran

Postby LeahS » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:53 pm

garbage wrote:I'd have a look at the canvas touring tents as they take all of 5 minutes to erect and maybe 10 minutes to pack away. Erecting is just a matter of hammering pegs into the four corners and putting in the centre pole. Oztrail has some entry level ones around the $400 mark if I'm not mistaken. I have a similar one and it comfortably sleeps 2 adults / 2 children + luggage. The disadvantage is that when packed, they are still quite heavy and are usually 1m x 1m.

Thanks for the advice - if we were staying for only a weekend would we still need a fly? I think for the moment we will stick to the 3 room dome tent however if just the 'boys' were to go away for a weekend I would imagine that this set up would work.
LeahS
Boy Scout

Postby garbage » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:05 pm

LeahS wrote:Thanks for the advice - if we were staying for only a weekend would we still need a fly? I think for the moment we will stick to the 3 room dome tent however if just the 'boys' were to go away for a weekend I would imagine that this set up would work.

Canvas tents don't really require a fly. They're very water proof as is.
garbage
Camping Veteran

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:00 pm

Flys or tarp overs are not just to keep the rain off, they are also to keep the tent cool in summer and warmer in winter.

Even in my camper I always put a tarp over, even for just a weekend.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Poodle Jewel » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:33 pm

Yes i have a Canvas tourer they are easy to erect and are roomy,mine you could easily fit 2 double mattresses and have two feet at the end of each to sit our gear, I got side poles as well so i can remove the centre pole and have a clear run and yes no matter how shorter stay i do as Gypsy said and put up a tarp, a MUST for all weather,then when you are outside the tent you still have cover to sit under,cook under,whatever;i am on my own and manage, so get the kids and hubby busy and you`ll be set up in no time.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Return to Gear Guide