New Camping Family

Come on in and tell us a little bit about yourself, your community, opinions, interests and ideas. Comments and tips are always welcome consider this social networking for the rest of us.

New Camping Family

Postby LeahS » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:09 pm

Have been floating around the site for a short while and wanted to say hi.

We have just been on our first camping adventure (with family to a caravan park) and loved it. The kids have already picked our next two places to explore.

We are planning more trips, probably just for the weekend to places around Brissy. Thanks to all for your posts - we have been able to pick up some great hits and tips to get us started.

Cheers
Leah
LeahS
Boy Scout

Re: New Camping Family

Postby amanda » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:14 pm

Welcome Leah - where was your first adventure to?
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt - then it's bloody hilarious!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Blue Bravo » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:55 pm

Welcome to the forum. You can't just say you've been camping without telling us where and what it was like ;)
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby lorichevy8 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:44 pm

Welcome Leah, We recently joined as well and have found this site to be full of great information and hints. :hello: Lori & Dave
lorichevy8
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:00 pm

I am with them Leah....please tell us about your camping adventure.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Poodle Jewel » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:28 pm

:hello: Where are you from, where are your favourite camping spots ( or are they secret).
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby LeahS » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:51 am

Sorry guys here are the rest of the details.

Our first camping trip was to Sawtell, we stayed in the tourist park there, without power (big deal for me!!!). It was the perfect spot :grin: (Sawtell is about 10 mins south of Coff Harbour)

[For anyone interested, the facilities are great, it was packed but surprisingly it stayed very clean and tidy. We went with the in laws (so kids could play with cousins) and spent most of the time in the creek which you can walk down to from the park or the beach which is about an 10 min walk from the caravan park. The town of Sawtell is about a 3 minute walk from the Caravan Park, not much there, just one street but great food, good little boutiques and plenty of friendly faces. Sawtell does get busy during holidays - lots of holiday makers, but a beautiful place - we will go again.]

We are from Brisbane (Southside) - our planned camping trips for the next couple of months will be to places close by. We are staying at Tallegbudgerra Creek for the Aust Day long weekend (just before school goes back - once again I'm not totally ready to leave all my comforts yet). Anywhere we stay needs to be appropriate for a 10 and 3 year old, so at this time of year it's beaches and creeks for swimming :grin:

Have planned a trip to Island Creek at Imbil, heard it still has good facilities??? For the moment I am happy to continue camping but I need to have a few little luxuries, not ready to rough it yet, so for the time being I get to pick where we go. Any hints would be appreciated.

Cheers guys
Leah
LeahS
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:01 am

Thanks for the info Leah. IMO Island Reach at Imbil is a great spot. See viewtopic.php?f=62&t=2344
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby madcamper » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:47 pm

Hi LeahS, where is 'tallegbudgerra creek' ? I have never heard of it... thanks Madcamper
madcamper
Camping King

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:00 pm

On the gold coast madcamper. See link and it is and has always been very popular with familes for many years. I can remember going there as a child with my grandmother.

http://www.caravancampingnetwork.com.au ... _park.html
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Al&Sharon » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:17 pm

welcome leah you will love telle beach, I live on the goldie and we go to telebug for a barby my kids used to call it the magic beach , take snorkel and goggles swim under the bridge, so safe for kids swimmng and is patrolled on the side under the bridge from camp ground, take a beach umby as the beach has no shade, ask for a site away from the road as it does get busy and traffc noise will be loud. fish down at the mouth of the river of an evening for a good feed, take a few snags as they have free barbies next to the beach, and the surf club does a lovely evening meal,and have a lovely aus day, also take a drive up to coolangatta worth a drive and a nice place to get the little 1s an icecream they can swim at greenmount just over the hill from point danger swings park and a nice little beach, .Alan
Al&Sharon
Post Machine!

Postby LeahS » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:42 pm

Al&Sharon wrote:welcome leah you will love telle beach, I live on the goldie and we go to telebug for a barby my kids used to call it the magic beach , take snorkel and goggles swim under the bridge, so safe for kids swimmng and is patrolled on the side under the bridge from camp ground, take a beach umby as the beach has no shade, ask for a site away from the road as it does get busy and traffc noise will be loud. fish down at the mouth of the river of an evening for a good feed, take a few snags as they have free barbies next to the beach, and the surf club does a lovely evening meal,and have a lovely aus day, also take a drive up to coolangatta worth a drive and a nice place to get the little 1s an icecream they can swim at greenmount just over the hill from point danger swings park and a nice little beach, .Alan

Thanks for the tips :grin:

We live in Brisbane and have driven past Tally (Beach and Creek) a few times and said how lovely it looks - we are excited to finally make time to see what it is like, even if it is only for the weekend. [Also think hubby is excited to test out some new camping gear he picked up in post Xmas sales!!]
LeahS
Boy Scout

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:06 pm

You'll love it Leah
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby camptrailer » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:45 am

hi leah :+
welcome to the site glad you and ur fam had great time camping my wife Vina and myself Chris r heading for telle on the 28 th jan 09 for about 5 nights in our new camper trailer with the in laws aswell as friends
as u and the fam get to enjoy camping u will start to adventure further and try bush camping I have only taken Vina bush camping for the first time a couple of weeks ago and she loves it and wants to go again
anyway enjoy yourselves and you and ur family will learn heaps here at the forum with like minded people who love camping.
happy camping
Chris and Vina
camptrailer
Boy Scout

Postby LeahS » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:25 pm

Thanks to everyone for their tips and hints in the lead up to our second camping adventure.

Thought I would provide an update on our weekend....

We arrived on Friday at Tallebudgerra Creek Tourist Park to grey skies and rumbling thunder and managed to put the tent up in the rain (good story for later) quite successfully - (minus the husband who was "leaving in 10 minutes from work") it would have been a bit easier if we had brought the fly however hubby thought we would trial it without it as we were only away for the weekend and it wouldn't REALLY matter for just a couple of days, a quote that may haunt him for a long time yet.

We had requested a site not near the road if possible however it looked like the park was almost full on Friday so we ended up next to the old Gold Coast Highway - a tip for anyone who may visit the park unless you plan to drink heavily :beer or are a heavy sleeper try to get as far away from the road as you can!!!

Amenties were good, they were cleaned often and well (it seemed there were plenty of showers and toilets to cater for busy periods) - they didn't have keys for the toilets instead a pin code to get in and out of the park and the toilets and showers, after a few vinos you did have to check the code before you went to the loo!! The bins were emptied regularly which was nice given the park was busy. BBQ's near us were in use constantly and everyone cleaned up after themselves. Shop is well stocked and staff are friendly.

Overall we had a lovely time and our son wanted to spend almost every waking moment down at the creek. We didn't fish but could have, beach was a bit yucky (lots of rips) however creek was crystal clear and provided plenty of hours of fun. It did rain, however our tent didn't leak so we can't complain.

HOWEVER.... arriving home on Monday afternoon we had to re set up the tent - it was wet (and no amount of sweeping on Monday morning was going to get rid of the grass and the dirt) and clean out and hose down or dry out basically everything we took. We have learnt in future to take the fly, even if it is just for a couple of days.

Chris and Vina - I hope you enjoy your stay at the park - as we were leaving on Monday most of the families were packing up as well, so I guess it will be a bit quieter. The walk up the creek and along the beach path is lovely; we stopped in at the surf clubs along the way for a drink and then turned around came back and had a swim in the creek to cool off and back to our site for dinner.
LeahS
Boy Scout

Next

Return to Introductions: