Camping with Maya at Flanagans Reserve

Questions, answers, tips and more about camping with pets.

Camping with Maya at Flanagans Reserve

Postby Nessie » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:32 pm

Just came back from camping with our dog Maya - rottie, 6 years old - at Flanagans Reserve. She (we) had a ball. It rained quite a lot but it was really hot at times too. The Logan River flows through there so we would get in just after a rocky patch (the rapids :grin: ) and swim all the way down to the 'rope jumping' area - about 100m. The various kids floating around in the water loved watching her swim all the way down. She is a very confident swimmer.
We did two laps at heel around the park each morning and after that any walks were a lot more relaxed and it was just great fun.
She slept in the tent with us on her own mattress (hey, she is used to her creature comforts :) ) and amazingly didn't rip a hole in the gauze with her claws when she wanted to go out (at home when she needs to come in or go out she will tap our screen door so I was worried she would view the tent in the same manner!).
She was always completely tuckered out each night as there was so much going on during the day! Lots of people had dogs there but there were no issues with any of them except some idiot who had their enormous and aggressive red heeler off lead and it came charging out at us one time. I thought we were in for some serious tearing apart but luckily the owners realised and called him back. It frightened the life out of me and was really irresponsible of them. I was no where near their camp - just passing by and it made a run for us.
Anyway apart from that thoroughly enjoyed ourselves (oh, except the flies , yick) and can't wait to go camping with Maya again.
PS photo at camp of Maya looking wistful - she's pretty tuckered out in this pic - not sure but i think if you click on it, it will blow up bigger: Image
Nessie

Re: Camping with Maya at Flanagans Reserve

Postby AussieSunset » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:06 am

Great to hear you had a good time. Yeah i was worried my dogs claws would go through the tent floor too so i bought those rubber mats that click together. One pack did the inside of the tent and i bought 2 packs so i could have a pack on the outside too.
Healers have a habbit of rushing out at people and scaring them. My girl does that at home if i take my eye off her. Generally though they stop a few feet away but can give someone a fright. If we're out walking though she dont do it either on the lead or off, it's just around her home she does it. But the owner still should have had the dog on a lead or tied up.
Life is what happens when you've made other plans. :)
AussieSunset
Blatant Padder

Postby Al&Sharon » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:35 pm

If I was walking through a campsite or anywhere else and a dog ran at me Id boot it so high because you wouldnt know if it was going to stop or bite you, then if the owner went off Id say well control your animal because 1 day it maynot stop and grab a child.Alan
Al&Sharon
Post Machine!

Postby ben... » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:27 pm

Al&Sharon wrote:If I was walking through a campsite or anywhere else and a dog ran at me Id boot it so high because you wouldnt know if it was going to stop or bite you, then if the owner went off Id say well control your animal because 1 day it maynot stop and grab a child.Alan

ive seen someone do such a thing once, and he didnt walk away from it. Owners of dogs don't tend to like see there animals kicked. Unfortunatley for the guy who kicked this dog, he got a broken nose and few broken ribs for his troubles. I always find its best to stand still, stay calm and not to run away from any dogs.

ive never had my dog kicked by anyone, but having said that my dogs are ALWAYS on a lead as they should be at all times.
ben...
Post Machine!

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:27 pm

I would be horrified if anyone kicked my dog for any reason.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Poodle Jewel » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:54 pm

What a beautiful Rotti, yes it hard because they might know the dog won`t attack but the person it is heading for doesn`t. Very sad news report last night where a neighbour baby sat the children and her dogs attacked them,dogs can get very possessive of their owners and i`d say this is one such case. My nephew has a bull mastive,docile as anything,his kids ride it and climb all over him but when visitors come he is always puts him in his pen as you just never know with other peoples children.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby ScottyB » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:32 pm

I have a Jack Russell, if you kicked him he would fly a long way. :$

I have been to a lot of jobs over the years where adults, children, pets or other dogs have been mauled and permanently disfigured or killed by a family dog "that has never done that before". As a child it happened to me as well.

I can sympathise with people's fear of any dog running at them. I have an inherent distrust of dogs generally despite being a dog owner. I know my dog has never bitten anyone (he did kill a bird once ... must have been having a cat day) but a stranger doesnt know this. That said a Jack Russell isn't exactly intimidating. But he was bought as a pup whilst one of the girls was still a pup herself and he grew up in the family together with her as the youngest.

To avoid confrontation on both sides I ensure the dog is always secure .... we have a large yard securely fenced for him to run around in, when camping I keep him on a long run where he can access food, water, shade and us, and when going for a walk ANYWHERE he is on the lead.

My dog is naughty .... he runs away and doesn't come back. Its not through lack of patience and trying, its just in his nature that when he sees something he wants to check out, he gets tunnel vision and shuts out the rest of the world .... even me running behind him asking him to stop. :)

Apparently .... grasshoppers are even more interesting that ME. :--?

So .... if you see a very excited looking Jack Russell bolting at you with an embarrassed man running behind him .... don't kick him. It just means he has tricked me once again. :lol:
ScottyB
Captain Camping

Postby Nessie » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:55 pm

The best things about the trip were watching all the kids love her so much - she is great with kids and they were really good - always asking if they could pet her first. I always had her on the lead so while some of the mothers looked concern i was in full control and she just lapped up all the attention.
It was also nice watching her try to keep her eyes open come 6pm - there was so much going on during the day 9she wouldnt have a nap as she didnt want to miss anything!) her lids seemed to just get so heavy in the end she couldnt keep her eyes open any longer. Very sweet.
The trip before we did a two nighter at Brunswic Heads which was nice and I think we will go coastal again next time. I hear Rainbow Beach is good but not sure what amenities they have there.
Nessie

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:07 am

Rainbow Beach itself has caravan parks.

http://www.beach-village.com.au

www.rainbowwaters.com.au

And you might like to check out this info as well. http://www.rainbowbeach.info/
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Nessie » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:25 pm

Thanks gyspylady - that's great. Hubby whinged about the lack of amenitites at Flanagans but personally I didnt think it was a problem. he likes his creature comforts though. LOLs
Nessie

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:09 pm

Next time Nessie, just ask hubby if he would like some cheese and crackers with his 'whine'??
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby CCC » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:10 am

ScottyB wrote:I have a Jack Russell, if you kicked him he would fly a long way. :$

I have been to a lot of jobs over the years where adults, children, pets or other dogs have been mauled and permanently disfigured or killed by a family dog "that has never done that before". As a child it happened to me as well.

I can sympathise with people's fear of any dog running at them. I have an inherent distrust of dogs generally despite being a dog owner. I know my dog has never bitten anyone (he did kill a bird once ... must have been having a cat day) but a stranger doesnt know this. That said a Jack Russell isn't exactly intimidating. But he was bought as a pup whilst one of the girls was still a pup herself and he grew up in the family together with her as the youngest.

To avoid confrontation on both sides I ensure the dog is always secure .... we have a large yard securely fenced for him to run around in, when camping I keep him on a long run where he can access food, water, shade and us, and when going for a walk ANYWHERE he is on the lead.

My dog is naughty .... he runs away and doesn't come back. Its not through lack of patience and trying, its just in his nature that when he sees something he wants to check out, he gets tunnel vision and shuts out the rest of the world .... even me running behind him asking him to stop. :)

Apparently .... grasshoppers are even more interesting that ME. :--?

So .... if you see a very excited looking Jack Russell bolting at you with an embarrassed man running behind him .... don't kick him. It just means he has tricked me once again. :lol:

ImageImageImage
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby TBF » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:27 am

Al&Sharon wrote:If I was walking through a campsite or anywhere else and a dog ran at me Id boot it so high because you wouldnt know if it was going to stop or bite you, then if the owner went off Id say well control your animal because 1 day it maynot stop and grab a child.Alan

First of all I must say that I like dogs..especially friendly ones.

If a dog rushed at me in a manner that I believed would result in injury to myself,
I would take your approach Al.
The owner of the dog would then have to take his chances with me.

You are within the law to take such action against the dog.
(Even to the extent of causing death to the dog, humanely, right there and then. Not 2 minutes later after you've found a big stick.)
I know that doesn't sound very nice, but nor is a savaged leg on any person.

My sistser has scars for a lifetime( she was about 8 years at the time)
I don't mean a couple of small puncture marks either.

Love your dogs, keep them inside a fence or on a lead..

For what it's worth.

TBF
TBF
Camping Veteran

Postby Pauly » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:25 pm

Ive had Blue cattle dogs most of my life and find most pure breeds have a good nature, except when they are protecting. We wont have a dog thats agressive at all but in Saying that our last cattle dog could be a pain when camping. We rarely had him on a leash but he was show and obedience trained, little bugga would get all tough when camping and gruff at people or walk towards them, a quick TOMMY would bring him back, he was young and still learning boundries :grin: , unfortunatly Xmas was his last trip and we had to put him down last week, pretty sad as we only had him for 18 months.

We have had other dogs come into camp and if they even look agressive I jump up and tell them to go on get out of it or similar in a commanding voice which normally works, only once having to be violant with one, Riverwood downs the owners dog absolutly savaged Tommy in the pool bar so I set to it with a pool Q, obviously the noise of 1 dog howling and screaming and another dog savaging him bought plenty of people including the owner, theres my dog cowering in the corner and the owners dog yelping off and me standing there with a busted pool Q :oops:
I was within my rights to bust up the dog but I only hit until it let go. The owner apologised stating the dog should have been in its yard. Luckily for us it had nearly no teeth left so there was very little damage. Apparently the dog wasnt real friendly, but it was on a working property.

We Try to always keep our dog out of other peoples camps and its not normally an issue because we tend to camp away from other people and most people pat him if they walk past and get to know theres no agression and all is good but we are more vigilant when theres other small kids about incase they get knock over or something.

People should know if their dog is agressive or not but I think people put on blinkers just like people put on blinkers when their kids are naughty, nope Johnny wouldnt do that never.

Theres no place for an agressive dog but I would be carefull kicking one, seen plenty of aggressive dogs turn on their attacker and the attacker loses.
Pauly
Post Machine!

Postby Al&Sharon » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:08 am

I have to add to my post firstly Im not a bloke who goes around kicking dogs or hurting any other animal as maybe thats how it soundind in my reply. I grew up with dogs and have had small and large I have seen a german shepard run and get my brother and give him stitches in the head the dog was put down but that always stays with you, I have a a silky terrier and hes just the best dog to me, placid as a dog could be, but to others just because he's small doesnt mean he s nice, now also just because your dog is large doesnt mean he s bad, as large dogs are sometimes better than the ankle biter, but if you come across a situation which threatens you wether it be a dog, or a bloke running out of a tent with a with a stick, reaction is to defend yourself, so every 1 just letting you all know, your dogs are safe :*** :*** :*** >Alan
Al&Sharon
Post Machine!

Next

Return to Camping with Pets