Hi from Sue

Come on in and tell us a little bit about yourself, your community, opinions, interests and ideas. Comments and tips are always welcome consider this social networking for the rest of us.

Hi from Sue

Postby sued » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:04 pm

Hi, my name is Sue. Me, my husband and 3 kids emmigrated to Sydney from the UK 5 years ago. In the UK we had a luxury touring caravan with every creature comfort you can think of which we took out all winds and weathers all year round - including the snow. It didn't take us long to realise that here the trend is camping and I was adamant there was no way on this earth would you get me in a tent, not with all your lovely creepy crawlies. Anyway I eventually gave in and we borrowed a tent for our first couple of trips and last year bought our own.

We've only used it half a dozen times and for no more than 4 days but I have to say I've really enjoyed it. Not sure if I could do more than 4 days though. We've been to Myall Lakes, Port Stevens, Lightning Ridge and Jervis Bay twice. We've thoroughly enjoyed each place.

We don't like the commercial sites where the world and his wife camp but because I work in a school we have to go school holidays. We haven't got a 4WD so again we're a bit restricted to where we can go and I won't pay $40-$50 a night to camp.

This site looks great and I'm hoping to get lots of ideas from it and hopefully contribute some too.
sued

Postby just_bring_it » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:15 pm

hi sued and welcome im new myself here to the forum and australia i did post a introduction about myself but its gone! hope it turns up where abouts in the uk are you from? we are from the north east
just_bring_it
Boy Scout

Re: Hi from Sue

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:44 pm

sued wrote: It didn't take us long to realise that here the trend is camping and I was adamant there was no way on this earth would you get me in a tent, not with all your lovely creepy crawlies. Anyway I eventually gave in and we borrowed a tent for our first couple of trips and last year bought our own.

We've only used it half a dozen times and for no more than 4 days but I have to say I've really enjoyed it. Not sure if I could do more than 4 days though. We've been to Myall Lakes, Port Stevens, Lightning Ridge and Jervis Bay twice. We've thoroughly enjoyed each place.

:shock: , WHAT creepy crawlies. In australia we use swags :P (the green thing under the tarp in the pic), straight on the ground... haven't had a crawly visit me yet :armsup

And welcome to the forum BTW :mrgreen:
What school do you work at in the Hills? I work around Castle Hill/Kenthurst and went to Schoold there :lol:
And the Myall Lakes are awesome 8)
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby sued » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:59 pm

Hi both In answer to your replies we're from Cardiff originally and now live in Cherrybrook. We had friends in Hull, isn't that north east? How long have you been out here?

I work at Galston High School. Which school did you go to and how long ago, we've only been in Oz 5 years.

I think I recognise that beach, is it Stockton? You can keep your swag and your tarp, I'm only just getting used to a tent and then it had to be brand new so no holes in it and I'm paranoid about it being zipped up lol!
sued

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:08 pm

sued wrote:Hi both In answer to your replies we're from Cardiff originally and now live in Cherrybrook. We had friends in Hull, isn't that north east? How long have you been out here?

I work at Galston High School. Which school did you go to and how long ago, we've only been in Oz 5 years.

I think I recognise that beach, is it Stockton? You can keep your swag and your tarp, I'm only just getting used to a tent and then it had to be brand new so no holes in it and I'm paranoid about it being zipped up lol!

Yeah, its stockton.
My mate (bloke in the above pic) lives in cherrybrook just off shepards dr in Ridgeview, but I think he went to cherrybrook H/S. I went to Hills Grammar, been out about 3 1/2 years now... maybe 2 1/2, can't remember :mrgreen:

To be honest, when I first got the swag I was paranoid about creepy crawlies, to the extent that I came up with the idea of using surface spray all around where I planned to sleep :lol: . I never got around to doing it, but it might be worth a try with your tent? Zipping it up is a good idea though, especially in summer. Once I camped with a friend who didnt do his up, at the end of the day there was so many flies trapped in there you couldn't open your mouth ::()

I'm going to get all paranoid about my spelling/grammar now that there's a teacher on the board :oops: :mrgreen:
EDIT: How did you know that was stockton if you dont have a 4wd :? Did you go on a tour??
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Scolers » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:54 pm

Welcome to the forums Sued!

I'm amazed at the prices of caravan parks over East. The cost over here during peak season is $30. Is there some extra attraction for your money there or is that the way things are in Eastern States caravan parks?

Cheers ...

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:00 am

Been to Stockton a few times with friends who have a 4WD and done the sandboarding bit - great fun, some of those dunes are awesome. I won't be doing that for a while though, had a motorbike accident many years ago and I had to have my leg rebroken again this year so I think that will be on my list of no nos.

We're looking to book somewhere for the next school holidays in Oct, Forster/Tuncurry has been suggested - anyone know of any good sites at reasonable prices.

I don't know that many sites but just from browsing the net it seems that the prices are hiked up for long weekends and school holidays and then you add the additional person charge, then the friends want to come along it all gets a bit expensive!
Site Admin

Return to Introductions: