15 amp plug

General Discussion, tips and questions and answer on Camper Trailers. Buy and sell below in Vehicles for Sale.

15 amp plug

Postby mawilkinson » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:08 pm

Hi all

My goldstream has a 15A plug obviously. What to i need to do to plug it into my house? Most houses to my knowledge have 10a outlets. Long term is to install a 15 a outlet but want a short tem fix.

any ideas
mawilkinson
Boy Scout

Re: 15 amp plug

Postby oldtrack123 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:47 pm

The only LEGAL way is to buy an APPROVED 10amp to 15 amp lead, factory fitted with a weatherproof 10 amp circuit breaker,OR have a 15amp outlet wired & fitted to your home by a certified electrician .You could also change the van to 10 AMP INLET PROVIDED IT IS WIRED IN WITH A 10 AMP CIRCUIT BREAKER AGAIN BY AN ELECTRICIAN. The special lead is obviously the best way.
Any one who suggest any other way could be giving you false & misleading info
oldtrack123
Camping King

Postby Troyk » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:58 pm

oldtrack123 wrote:The only LEGAL way is to buy an APPROVED 10amp to 15 amp lead, factory fitted with a weatherproof 10 amp circuit breaker,OR have a 15amp outlet wired & fitted to your home by a certified electrician .You could also change the van to 10 AMP INLET PROVIDED IT IS WIRED IN WITH A 10 AMP CIRCUIT BREAKER AGAIN BY AN ELECTRICIAN. The special lead is obviously the best way.
Any one who suggest any other way could be giving you false & misleading info

There is a thread on here about trimming the 15amp earth plug, but oldtrack123 is right on the money. DONT DO IT!

There is a very good reason why it is illegal. There is the safety aspect, but also you WILL NOT BE COVERED by insurance.
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby Pauly » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:42 pm

I note my post was removed, far enough though I thought I pointed out the dangers and suggested advice by an electrician.

It is important for anybody thinking of modifying electrics to know the risks and get proffesional advice
Pauly
Post Machine!

Postby HGMonaro » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:31 pm

oldtrack123 wrote:You could also change the van to 10 AMP INLET PROVIDED IT IS WIRED IN WITH A 10 AMP CIRCUIT BREAKER AGAIN BY AN ELECTRICIAN.

and what happens when you rock up to a van park and there's only 15amp sockets to plug into?

The 'danger' of using a 10amp convertor lead has been wildly debated on many forums, I suggest a search will discover those and highlight safety concerns.

when I get my shed wired I'll get a 15amp powerpoint installed...
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby oldtrack123 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:38 pm

HGMonaro wrote:
oldtrack123 wrote:You could also change the van to 10 AMP INLET PROVIDED IT IS WIRED IN WITH A 10 AMP CIRCUIT BREAKER AGAIN BY AN ELECTRICIAN.

and what happens when you rock up to a van park and there's only 15amp sockets to plug into?

The 'danger' of using a 10amp convertor lead has been wildly debated on many forums, I suggest a search will discover those and highlight safety concerns.

when I get my shed wired I'll get a 15amp powerpoint installed...

Hi
Re the 10amp inlet I should have said fit an additional inlet to van.This is not realy a cost effective option, just put in to show there are various options
Re the van parks15 amp outlets the reverse is ok if the van inlet & wiring is fitted with a 10 amp circuit breaker. BUT as above
I Believe there still are van parks & camping areas WITH ONLY 10 AMP OUTLETS, so the preferred option IS to purchase a LEGAL APPROVED LEAD fitted with the CORRECT PROTECTION & always carry it with you , IT WILL BE CHEAPER THAN HAVING AN ELECTICIAN INSTAL A 15 AMP OUTLET to your home & provided the total draw of all equipment being used @ any one time does not exceed 10 amps there ia no problem. If you do overload it the circuit breaker will trip , you will soon get the meassage as to what combinations are ok.
But of course still take your standard 15 amp/15 amp lead too.

What are you doing till you get your shed?
oldtrack123
Camping King

Postby oldtrack123 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:58 pm

Pauly wrote:I note my post was removed, far enough though I thought I pointed out the dangers and suggested advice by an electrician.

It is important for anybody thinking of modifying electrics to know the risks and get proffesional advice

Hi Pauly
The advise was by a qualified elecrician & I CAN ONLY REINFORCE MY COMMENT ABOUT WORK BEING DONE BY A CERTIFIED ELECTICIAN. Only certified elecricians are legally allowed to perform 240v electical work . Some special limited work is allowed by people such as home appliance & air con service men AFTER THEY HAVE GAINED a liscence to do such limited work.
Serious legal issues could be involved ,INCLUDING INSURANCE for anyone else in the case of an accident or fire.
oldtrack123
Camping King

Postby Redback » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:07 am

Change the 15amp plug on your van to a 10amp plug, you are not required by law now to have 15amp plugs in caravans and motorhomes/campers and so on, 10amp is OK now.

Baz.
01 Discovery TD5 Locked & Lifted & Redback Country Camper Trailer
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.
Peter Lalor
Redback
Blatant Padder

Return to Camper Trailers