Canvas Touring Tent dilema

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Canvas Touring Tent dilema

Postby i*love*miso*soup » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:32 pm

Hi peeps!

Thanks for reading my first post.

I come from a bushwalking backgroud. You know us types - super light weight (expensive) gear, dehydrated food cooked in a tiny stove, micro thin sleeping mats, same smelly socks for a week etc. but my wife has never really been interested in it for some reason. Recently she has shown some interest in camping "as long as she gets to sleep in a big tent that she can stand up in and can sleep on a massively oversized super comfortable bed". The bed bit we have sorted. Went out and bought a Coleman queen sized with a quilted top and a rechargeable electric pump. It's bigger than our regular bed!

The next problem is the tent. If I was shopping for a lightweight bushwalking tent I would know what I was looking for but big heavy touring tents are a bit new to me. I've done some research and have decided that I don't want a plastic dome type tent and I've narrowed it down to canvas. In fact, I've narrowed it down to one particular shape of touring tent. The models I've been considering are-

Tourer 10 plus (available from various camping stores and ebay around $400 with replacment side poles)
Kimberley (available form Rays Outdoors Camperdown NSW $800 reduced to $600)
Wyndham (available from Boots Outdoors $999)

My real dilema is trying to choose between them. They all appear to be exactly the same design (although trying to get the specs from the various suppliers is quite tricky) but they vary greatly in price.

It's my understanding that Rays Outdoors and Boots are one and the same company so my guess is that they are probably made in the same factory in China and then re-named. There is a fair chance that the Tourer 10 plus comes from the same factory also, but that is only a guess.

Can anyone tell me of their experiences, recommendations etc. on any of these tents or if there is in fact any difference between them? I don't want to get ripped off buying some thing expensive if it is exactly the same as the cheapie.

The only real difference that I can see between these tents is the price and length of warranty (the Kimberley from Rays is 10 years but i'm not convinced that this is an indication of it's quality).

Also, It's a shame that they are all made in China. I would like to buy an Aussie made one but they seem pretty hard to come by. Freedom Tents (I think that's what they were called) seemed to be one but they are fairly expensive. Then again I bet the quality would be ten times better!

Can anyone help or provide any advise?
i*love*miso*soup

Postby Kramer » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:00 pm

I have the tourer 9+ and find it extremely easy to put up and down, even by myself. Just had 2 weeks camping up north and found it really good to get changed while standing up and still be able to keep all the clothes and perishable food box in there as well.

Canvas is a lot cooler than polyester during summer too!

If you want more room with the oztrail buy the centre pole remover as well (usually about $50 more) it makes it heaps easier to move around, and tou have a centre pole to use for your outdoor tarp :armsup
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby i*love*miso*soup » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:39 am

Thanks Kramer,

I have seen the 9+ in photos only although they did have the same version set up at Rays but it was called something else.

The Rays version of the 10+ (Kimberley) that I saw also had the centre pole removed and replaced with the side poles. Not having that centre pole smack bang in the middle of the floor seems like a fantastic idea. Not that a pole takes up much room but at least you dont have to dodge it evry time you turn around.

Can you find any faults with your 9+? In particular stitching, zips, floor, "waterproofness" etc. The Tourer 9 and 10's seem readily available on the net and are substantially cheaper than the Rays and Boots models but I'm not sure how they compare.

Anyone else have any comments? Your help would be appreciated.

miso
i*love*miso*soup

Postby Kramer » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:00 pm

Nothing major, it rained in Innisfail while I was there and it didn't leak a bit, my mate that was camping as well with exactly the same tent, his leaked but it was because he put the zip's at the bottom of the door instead of the top like I did.

Sometimes those ones on Ebay are factory second's too, they are just misleading advertising and always look at how much the seller will charge you for freight as you can usually buy them off the shelf in the major camping stores for the same price of the purchase + freight, and you can always take it back to your local camping store if something is wrong.
All Your Beers Are Belong To Us!
http://www.Tour-Oz.net
Kramer
Tree-climbing Mountain Goat

Postby i*love*miso*soup » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:12 pm

Well I bit the bullet and bought the Oztrail Tourer 10+ on Saturday from BBQ's Galore Campbelltown for $339. It was the last one in the shop and the manager wanted to get rid of it so he took off $100 so I think I got it for a good price.

Set it up in the back yard with my wife when we got home. No bit's missing, easy to erect, heaps of room. Blew up the big Coleman air matress to see how it fit and was shocked at the amount of left over space.

Noticed with the sun shining against one of the walls that there are a few flaws in the canvas but then when you buy a cheap, made in China tent the quality isn't going to be perfect.

Now we just need some where to test it. Might head off to Newnes for a weekend of camping and rockclimbing!
i*love*miso*soup

tourer 10+

Postby gqpatrol » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:07 pm

We bought one of these off ebay last Christmas. It is huge, you probably won't need the side poles . We took it to Fraser Island in January, where it rained everyday, with no leaky problems. Only downside is it is fairly bulky package when disassembled, we put it on the roofracks to go to Fraser. We're pretty happy with it, very quick to erect. :beer
gqpatrol
Captain Camping

Return to Gear Guide