NSW - Shoal Bay Port Stephens

NSW - Shoal Bay Port Stephens

Postby James2 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:08 pm

Greetings from London,

By far, the best place I've been to in Australia, indeed the world, is a town called Shoal Bay at Port Stephens in New South Wales.

It has unbelievable beaches (both surf and flat), fantastic views from mountain tops, great bush walks, cheap accommodation...the list goes on.

If you have been there you know what I'm talking about. If not, go there and experience it. But, keep it as clean and unspoilt as you found it when you leave.
James2

Postby sued » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:03 am

I couldn't agree with you more, it has to be the best place in the world, with Fingal Bay coming a close second, oh and maybe Jervis Bay and oh maybe... the list goes on and on but Shoal Bay has to be there on top.
sued

Postby Scolers » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:44 pm

Glad you guys like it. I guess coming from the UK it would seem there's not too many people there ... however ... after living in Sydney during the 70's and 80's it just became too packed for me. Even Perth is now becoming a busy metropolis. I head north (from Perth) on my camping trips and sometmies don't even meet one person. Horses for courses!

Cheers ...

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby sued » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:07 pm

We emmigrated here 5 years ago from the UK, living in Sydney now and absolutely love it. We went over to Perth a couple of years ago to visit friends but found the pace of life just a bit toooooooo laid back for us city folk. Saying that there are times I'd love to just get out of the traffic here in Sydney.
sued

Postby Scolers » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:49 pm

Oddly enough I was born in the UK and was raised in Sydney. SO glad my parents had the presence of mind to leave the place (UK ... and now SYdney!).

The thing I notice the most whenever I return to Sydney is the noise ... then the smell. Ick!

Returned to the UK a few years back and couldnt wait to leave ... some lovely spots in the country but the cities are amazingly acrid.

Glad Perth is too laid back ... there's just far too many ppl coming over here since the resource boom ... fortunately we have our own home but for the poor bugga's that dont it's $400k plus and that doesnt get you much.

Time to lok for somehwere laid back ... ;)

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:15 am

Scolers wrote:...there's just far too many ppl coming over here...

yeah, i'm beginning to notice alot of POMS :booty :*** :mrgreen:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby sued » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:06 am

Being Welsh we're not POMS! Very few of us in Sydney but I did notice a lot over in Perth. We've noticed a huge increase in traffic just in the five years we've been here but I love the harbour and the city buzz so I don't think I could live in Wop Wop long term.
sued

Postby Scolers » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:02 pm

sued wrote:Being Welsh we're not POMS! Very few of us in Sydney but I did notice a lot over in Perth. We've noticed a huge increase in traffic just in the five years we've been here but I love the harbour and the city buzz so I don't think I could live in Wop Wop long term.

OK Taff settle down ... ;)

Heaps of ppl from the UK here (I'm so PC) ... might explain why we have so many good breweries and I dont mean Swan ... heaps of micro breweries scattered all over the place. Most are pretty good too.

:beer

I'm happy for anyone in Sydney to stay there ... feel free ... :armsup

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Postby just_bring_it » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:45 pm

Ozzycamperboy wrote:

pom actually means prisnor of her majesty but i wouldent call myself one as im free to go where i like it's those stuck in the uk or brought here by the convict ships that i would call poms and i dont take offence to being called it iv been called much worse :***
just_bring_it
Boy Scout

Postby Scolers » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:19 pm

just_bring_it wrote:
Ozzycamperboy wrote:

pom actually means prisnor of her majesty but i wouldent call myself one as im free to go where i like it's those stuck in the uk or brought here by the convict ships that i would call poms and i dont take offence to being called it iv been called much worse :***

Actually POM is Prisoner Of Mother England (POME) ... the acronym was corrupted to POMS in the late 19th Century as it was easier to say. Sorry mate but I've been called much worse too ... was a POME ... was COP ... am now a PhD.

;)

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad

Return to NSW