Fridge/Freezer Query

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Fridge/Freezer Query

Postby markannab » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:42 am

We're selling the camper & going back to tenting - reasons are explained under introductions section.

The camper fridge size is 50 litres for the fridge section and 13 litres for the freezer. This is the absolute minimum for a gas-powered portable fridge. We definitely need individual fridge and freezer compartments and this seems to be a challenge. What do fellow campers recommend? A fridge large enough to have it's own freezer compartment, or two units - one being smaller to use as a freezer?

The second option seems to be getting away from the simplicity we're aiming for though.

Thanks for any advice,
Mark.
Freelance Design, Printing and Rubber Stamps: http://www.worldofprinting.com
markannab
Captain Camping

Re: Fridge/Freezer Query

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:52 am

Electric freezer + icebox/esky? :idea:

could re-freeze water bottles when needed.
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby markannab » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:38 pm

Thankyou. That could work, though not electric but LPG.

I was down at the local camping store today and they recommend for 3-way fridges, a brand called Chescold (Electrolux) rather than Waeco. If two way, then Waeco is likely better.
markannab
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:18 pm

3 way fridges are not so good on 12 volt, it is really only maitenance...not chiller.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby steve&Kate » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:33 pm

Hi markannab,

It all depends on what you are looking at doing, if you are touring then a 2 way fridge is what you should be looking at, they do not draw as much power as a 3 ways does off your batteries, think Engels & Waeco fridges draw between .75 to 1.5 amps per hour where a 3 way may draw roughly 6.5 amps.

We have a Dometic RC1180 Chescold, it draws about 6 amps per hour and I have been told if we leave our car on accessories it will drain the battery within 6 hours, whilst the car is travelling there is no problem, we have even dumped a bag of ice in the Dometic on a warm day travelled with no power for 5 hours and the temp inside it was 2 degrees c.

The Dometic I would say is the best buy we have made in regards to camping gear, we have
just returned this morning from a weeks camping, the temp in our annex ranged from 22 on a rare morning to 38.5 with the average being about 36.

We used a Dometic as a fridge/freezer average temp in the freezer was -11.5 with it warming up to -7.9 on one day, kept all my meat frozen with some coming home with us, we enjoyed icecream everynight, you can use it as a 50 litre fridge of a 30 litre fridge with a 16 litre freezer, have to say 16 litres of freezer is heaps.

The Dometic runs much better then our fridge/freezer in the caravan, this is the first year I have not struggle in the January school holidays with keeping things cold, we also used a Waeco 80ltr icebox for drinks only with the last lot of ice being 3 bags going in on wednesday lunchtime, the icebox is sitting in the garage with softdrink, beer and ice in it.

Cheers.

ps: bottom line is if touring 2 way if sitting put 3 way.
steve&Kate
Camping King

Postby markannab » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:52 pm

Interesting. The Chescold you mentioned is the precise one we've been looking at - the only one we've found to come near to what we need. The local price is, I think, $1099.00, but we're going to Port Macquarie next Thursday to have a look around at 4 - 5 camping stores and see what's available.

Running on battery isn't an issue for us. We'll chill it down on 240v before leaving home, travel to our destination (usually only an hour or two), then fire up the gas. We only have a small car and small battery, so we wouldn't consider running anything on 12v.
markannab
Captain Camping

Postby Derek Bullock » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:56 pm

While up on Fraser for a week a mate of mine had the Chescold. It was the big blue one that you can also use as a freezer. Don't know what model. He used it just to freeze all of his fish. Had a 9 kilo bottle of gas and it worked wonders.
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby steve&Kate » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:08 pm

Hi Derek,

The big blue one is the one I have, fridge or part fridge\freezer, the green one is a 35 litre freezer, they are brilliant.

On the blue one a 9 kilo bottle is suppose to last 28 days, we run ours with a 9 kilo bottle.

I know someone that has the green freezer, they use the freezer and a icebox, does them.

Cheers

Derek wrote:While up on Fraser for a week a mate of mine had the Chescold. It was the big blue one that you can also use as a freezer. Don't know what model. He used it just to freeze all of his fish. Had a 9 kilo bottle of gas and it worked wonders.
steve&Kate
Camping King

Postby steve&Kate » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:15 pm

Hi

We also chill ours down as well before travelling, just mentioned the bag of ice being dumped in because it was a bit of a trip home, in actual fact we did a few stops, it took us 8 hours to get home, everything still nice and cold, even thought we stopped off for 3 hours with the fridge sitting in the sun in the car on a warm day.

Cheers

markannab wrote:Interesting. The Chescold you mentioned is the precise one we've been looking at - the only one we've found to come near to what we need. The local price is, I think, $1099.00, but we're going to Port Macquarie next Thursday to have a look around at 4 - 5 camping stores and see what's available.

Running on battery isn't an issue for us. We'll chill it down on 240v before leaving home, travel to our destination (usually only an hour or two), then fire up the gas. We only have a small car and small battery, so we wouldn't consider running anything on 12v.
steve&Kate
Camping King

Postby steve&Kate » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:18 pm

Once you get your price on the fridge give Anaconda a ring, if they carry the fridge and it is dearer the what you have been quoted they will beat the price by 10%, even with freight charges you would still be in front.

Cheers

markannab wrote:Interesting. The Chescold you mentioned is the precise one we've been looking at - the only one we've found to come near to what we need. The local price is, I think, $1099.00, but we're going to Port Macquarie next Thursday to have a look around at 4 - 5 camping stores and see what's available.

steve&Kate
Camping King

Postby Derek Bullock » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:27 pm

Can often pick them up on eBay. A couple on there now.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/WAECO-CHESCOLD-r ... 240%3A1318
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby steve&Kate » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:20 pm

Have to watch and see what it goes for Derek.

Have to also say these things are so easy to light no hassle at all a 2 second job, it is actually easier to light then the fridge in the caravan.

Cheers

Derek wrote:Can often pick them up on eBay. A couple on there now.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/WAECO-CHESCOLD-r ... 240%3A1318
steve&Kate
Camping King

Postby ben... » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:50 pm

my brother has a explorer fridge http://www.explorerfridgefreezer.com/specs.html

they dont come cheap but they are a true fridge freezer with sperate areas. Ive taken it away a couple of times but prefer my 2 x 80ltr ice boxes, i can go away for 7 days with those if packed right.

having said that they are made local and very nice fridges.
ben...
Post Machine!

Postby markannab » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:20 am

The eBay Chescold went for $890 plus around $70 postage. We put a bid for $880 and were immediately outbid so left it, considering what you can get a new one for.
markannab
Captain Camping

Postby steve&Kate » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:45 am

Thanks for that Mark, I would have also left it, it not only the price of the new one it's also the warrenty you lose as well.

Cheers
Kate

markannab wrote:The eBay Chescold went for $890 plus around $70 postage. We put a bid for $880 and were immediately outbid so left it, considering what you can get a new one for.
steve&Kate
Camping King

Return to Gear Guide