Blow-up or not blow-up, that is the bed question ...

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Blow-up or not blow-up, that is the bed question ...

Postby CampGrrlz » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:45 pm

Looking to save bulk and the idea of having an air mattress has surfaced again. Years ago we had one with a ‘built-in pump’ - except that the designers built the pump into the underside and when the bed leaked - and it leaked all the time - the entire mattress had to be turned over in order to re-inflate it. Apart from that, it was a most comfortable mattress. Except that it was a single layer high and these days, getting up from what seems like a hole in the ground, is not an option.

So the search is on for a double-height mattress and what we’ve found so far has a 240v built-in pump in the end wall, so much better sited than the first mattress. The question is ... is there any recommendation on brand or a brand to avoid? The ones most easily bought on eBay are Bestway brand of which I cannot find an objective review. The Aero-whatsis brand is well outside our budget and I have read some disquieting reviews on the brand anyway.

We’ll be going to some camping shops on Wednesday to see what is in stock but some advice or tips or experiences will be most welcome.

Elaine and Elaine
Two old boilers are armchair Glampers ;-)
CampGrrlz
Camping Queens

Re: Blow-up or not blow-up, that is the bed question ...

Postby ben... » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:48 pm

we bought one from anaconda and it has the pump in the side wall, in the end/head of the bed. problem is it also leaks, so by morning youre on the floor again. Not sure if its just a fault with ours or all these sorts of beds. I assume its leaking through the pump. It sure does inflate it qucik though
ben...
Post Machine!

Postby Pauly » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:09 am

If you think its leaking through the pump get one without a pump. I bought a little 12v hand pump for about $10 that inflates things quick, we use it for our ski biscuits ans its twice as fast as the service station air pumps.
Pauly
Post Machine!

Postby amanda » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:38 am

I have never tried one of these types of beds, however my concern would be one of warmth. I find normal inflatable mattresses are very cold in winter due to the cold air trapped within the mattress. I wonder then what a "double thickness" mattress would be like - doubly cold? Has anyone with one of these had any problems with the cold air beneath you?
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt - then it's bloody hilarious!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:37 am

I don't know about these type of air beds with inbuilt pumps but I do know that the standard type self inflating mattersses are great to sleep on.

They don't go down overnight unless you did not do up the bung tightly and they are warm to sleep on in winter...no air cell to get cold.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Pauly » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:51 pm

before we got our camper we used to use the oztrail self inflatable mattress, they were fine for a night or so but no good after that, for us anyway. Im much heavier than my wife so I would sink and she would float, also they are very bulky, I think they are trying to cut down on bulk.

Have you looked at the stretches with the air matrress attached?

Ps We put a 150mm thick high density mattress in the camper, bliss :grin:
Pauly
Post Machine!

Postby CampGrrlz » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:23 pm

>>Have you looked at the stretches with the air matrress attached?
>>I wonder then what a "double thickness" mattress would be like - doubly cold?

Mmm, good points raised :grin:

The stretchers with the air mattress attached are also bulky and heavy - we tried these out some years ago and figured too heavy, too much messing about although they seem quite cosy. So it's back to reducing bulk and lightening the load.

I didn't mention but we have a Hyundai Accent 2 door hatch with a surprising amount of space in the back with the seats folded down. But for all that, it is a small car and packing has to be quite careful. I believe we can do it, though. We had a trial pack recently and while we don't have all the bits yet, I reckon it can happen for us without having to buy a trailer or resort to roof bars - comfort without excess.

The 'double thickness' mattress are really double height - imagine two slabs of airbed atop each other. Height approaching that of a normal bed. Don't know if the cold will be a bother, we can always pack an extra blanket for underneath and I really don't see us camping at Stanthorpe in the winter (or Bunya Mountains at Easter).

Until we try this out in real life we won't know how it works for us, so we're probably going to buy a double-height bed and top the air up each night before sleep. We're trying to balance comfort with available space and after our first trip (probably to Boreen Point if all goes well) we'll know a lot more than we do now.

Thank you all for your input :grin:

Elaine and Elaine
CampGrrlz
Camping Queens

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:02 pm

Elaine said...stretchers with the air mattress attached are also bulky and heavy.....

My 76 year old mother has one and they are a long way from heavy as they used to be, have improved over the years. However they are a bit bulky.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby amanda » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:05 pm

gypsylady wrote:Elaine said...stretchers with the air mattress attached are also bulky and heavy.....

My 76 year old mother has one and they are a long way from heavy as they used to be, have improved over the years. However they are a bit bulky.

I just bought my mother one and it is suprisingly light and small when packed up. It is only a single though - not sure what you're after. I imagine a double would be a bit on the bulky side for your purposes.
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt - then it's bloody hilarious!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby CampGrrlz » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:36 pm

Oh darn, don't know how I managed it, but this reply ended up as a private message :( Let's try again ...

>>I just bought my mother one and it is suprisingly light and small when packed up. It is only a single though
We would prefer singles but for the time being, we're trialling the double-height queen inflatable ... our trip to Boreen is going to be our first try at a lot of things (including a very-quick-to-pitch-no-threading dome, of all things!). Who knows what decisions we might make after that trip :grin:.

Elaine and Elaine

ps: I've rabbitted on about the mattress elsewhere in this Forum today.
CampGrrlz
Camping Queens

Postby Poodle Jewel » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:56 pm

Elaine and Elaine, i also have a small Hyundai Getz and do camp in the cooler weather taking loads of blankets foam and a piece of carpet to keep the cold out, plus fitting in 3 dogs and the rest of the gear. I am seriously thinking of buying a good swag,my friend has a Driza bone,it is water proof,it is lined with lambs wool and she forever raves about it.To date though i have not been able to find one.But i reckon by the cooler months i`ll definately invest in one.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Return to Gear Guide