Tarp Shelter Kit

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Tarp Shelter Kit

Postby Bradd » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:05 pm

Just noticed the super cheap auto catalogue has a Tarp Shelter Kit

tarpset.jpg

Obviously not an Ultrarig or anything like one but cuold be
worth a look for anyone needing a tarp setup
Catalogue finishes on 23rd, but even full price isnt too bad
Would probably get one, but need new ignition and muffler after recent trip.

http://supercheapauto.com.au/products/catalogue.aspx
Page 16 of the catalogue (back page)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations.
When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong. ~George Carlin
Bradd
Camping Oracle

Re: Tarp Shelter Kit

Postby ScottH » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:34 pm

I bought one of these back in October for our first camping trip. At the time it was $99.

The tarp is a standard cheap silver tarp with eyelets. Under mild to strong wind conditions, the eyelets will tear the edging of the tarp away from the center.
The poles aren't too bad, but they have the larger diameter section on the bottom, so they fill up with water if you get any rain. Strength wise they aren't anything special, but they do the job if you don't put too much stress on them.
The ridge pole is box tubing which twists very easily and sags in the middle a little. I replaced this with a round spreader and its now much stronger/stiffer.
The guy lines, springs and tent pegs are all good quality, although the guy lines do use plastic hooks, not wooden or metal blocks.

All in all it's not bad for a cheapy, but don't expect it to last too long. At less than half the price of buying individual tarp, poles, lines, etc to do the same with an Ultrarig, it's a good stop-gap until you can afford something better - I'd recommend upgrading the tarp and buying a new ridge pole when the kit items expire.
ScottH
Boy Scout

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:56 am

That looks like a real pain in the butt to set up :shock:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby Ricklanga » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:28 pm

We wanted to buy one of these for our weekend trip to Andrew Drynan but most of the stores were sold out by Wednesday, the nearest with stock was Toowoomba. We ended up biting the bullet and buying a pole kit from BCF for $259 and an 18 x 24 UltraRig tarp for $99. That's a total of $358. Downunder quoted me about $454 from memory.

The kit consists of:
  • 12 x 230cm adjustable galv. steel poles
  • 2 x 275cm adjustable galv. steel poles
  • 1 x 554cm adjustable galv. steel square ridge pole
  • 1 x 275cm adjustable galv. steel support pole
  • 6 x 6mm x 3mm double guy ropes with wooden runners
  • 8 x 6mm x 3mm single guy ropes with wooden runners
  • 20 8mm x 300mm steel tent pegs
  • 20 200mm zink coated steel tracer springs
  • Bonus pole bracket hook

All the poles, ropes etc. are excellent quality and the whole setup seems quite strong.

We have never set up a tarp before but I think we managed it without looking to amature. We had little rain over most of the weekend but the afternoons were quite hot. The tent was definately cooler with the tarp over. Sunday afternoon it got very windy but the tarp held up well. Sunday night saw a fair bit of rain but the tarp kept everything dry. This morning it was raining while we were packing up so I just backed the trailer under the tarp and kept everything dry while we loaded the trailer. We still got wet when we pulled the tarp down but by this time we were pretty hot so didn't mind to cool of in the rain :lol:

There has been a lot of positive info regarding tarps on this forum and all I can say after this weekend is that if you don't already have one then you definately should try to get one. I doubt you would regret it.

--
Richard.
It always rains on tents. Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds for the opportunity to rain on a tent.
Ricklanga
Post Machine!

Return to Gear Guide