WYANGALA DAM NSW

WYANGALA DAM NSW

Postby xmasbaby67 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:11 pm

Wyangala was at about 16% when this was taken in 2006, its currently 9% & falling rapidly. The highest it has reached since this photo was taken has been 20%!!!
It is a massive body of water when full. 3 times Sydney Harbour. It's very sad but we don't think we will see it full ever again as 75% of what goes into the dam has be released down the river?????? Still a great camping spot though, we were on private property here in Alston Bay .
Come on NSW lets get moving..... ::)
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Re: WYANGALA DAM NSW

Postby Pauly » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:39 pm

Ive got pictures of it full somewhere, will dig them up
Pauly
Post Machine!

Postby acraig » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:12 pm

Pauly wrote:Ive got pictures of it full somewhere, will dig them up

Can`t say I`ve seen it full since about 2000-2001
acraig

Postby Redback » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:24 pm

I was there around the mid 90s i think, me and a mate spent 1/2 an hour watching a bloke try to launch his boat :*** best entertainment we had that weekend, it was too bloody crowded for me.

Baz.
01 Discovery TD5 Locked & Lifted & Redback Country Camper Trailer
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.
Peter Lalor
Redback
Blatant Padder

Postby xmasbaby67 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:49 pm

What took him 1/2 an hour to launch his boat off the main ramp or did u mean he had to wait half an hour to launch?
Yes its usually crowded on the main beach but the dam is MASSIVE and u only have to go a short way to find a nice quiet spot to camp either in the boat or we drive to a private spot which there are quiet a few, especially if the dam is full(may never see that again though) :evil:
We never stay anywhere near the main beach even if we just go out for the day skiing or fishing in the boat we set up away from the main area. :armsup
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Argle » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:02 am

We used to go Wyangala back in the 90's when I was working in Dubbo. Great place to fish and ski! I caught my biggest ever Rainbow Trout up the Abercrombie arm when we were camped up there for a week, 19 1/2 inches long caught spinning from the bank on a yellow and black stumpjumper lure. Within 15 minutes of the fish coming out of the water it was stuffed and wrapped in foil cooking on the bbq - best tasting freshwater fish I think I have ever eaten. I have some pics but all pre digital and me with no scanner - doh! Shame the water levels are so low its a beautiful sight to come around the bend and over the dam wall when its full!

Cheers and Beers
Scott
Argle
Captain Camping

Postby Redback » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:04 pm

xmasbaby67 wrote:What took him 1/2 an hour to launch his boat off the main ramp or did u mean he had to wait half an hour to launch?
Yes its usually crowded on the main beach but the dam is MASSIVE and u only have to go a short way to find a nice quiet spot to camp either in the boat or we drive to a private spot which there are quiet a few, especially if the dam is full(may never see that again though) :evil:
We never stay anywhere near the main beach even if we just go out for the day skiing or fishing in the boat we set up away from the main area. :armsup

He was trying to reverse down the ramp :***
01 Discovery TD5 Locked & Lifted & Redback Country Camper Trailer
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.
Peter Lalor
Redback
Blatant Padder

Postby xmasbaby67 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:11 pm

OMG what a tool :--? even I can back the boat in within a couple of minutes & I'm a GIRL!!!!!!! :*** ::)
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Al&Sharon » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:35 pm

what a lovely place evry 1 would flock there just to see that great shirt, [when you walk through a storm hold your head up high] go the reds. Alan
Al&Sharon
Post Machine!

Postby scottyboy » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:05 pm

He had trouble reversing his trailer - that doesn't make him a "Tool". Personally, I would have given him a hand. I don't get that attitude of laughing and embarrassing people who are having trouble . Anyway rant over... carry on.

xmasbaby67 wrote:OMG what a tool :--? even I can back the boat in within a couple of minutes & I'm a GIRL!!!!!!! :*** ::)
scottyboy
Camping King

Postby xmasbaby67 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:48 pm

Will pass on your comments to our son Al as he is of the same opinion as you !! :?#

Fair enough Scottyboy. :+

Must say though the boat ramp is extremely wide, very long and concrete and if you have seen it you would know why we found it so funny, saying that though if we were there we would have given him a hand. But still think he's a tool. Rant over.
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby scottyboy » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:14 pm

haha - no worries. :grin:

xmasbaby67 wrote:Will pass on your comments to our son Al as he is of the same opinion as you !! :?#

Fair enough Scottyboy. :+

Must say though the boat ramp is extremely wide, very long and concrete and if you have seen it you would know why we found it so funny, saying that though if we were there we would have given him a hand. But still think he's a tool. Rant over.
scottyboy
Camping King

Postby Dodgy_Dave » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:43 pm

I've been going there since I can remember. Many fond memories I've had there as a kid.

I remember hearing the siren to warn down stream of the river that the flood gates were opening and on hot day's we'd go and hike behind the dam wall and jump into the rock pools and sit under the waterfalls. Because it has dried up the ponds and caves have collapsed.

For the past 8 years or so, the average dam level now sits around the 5% mark. Pictured is at 7%
Here are some photo's I took when I was there last month.

It's funny walking around the shore line, I've been finding old long neck beer bottles that co-incide the building of the first and second wall. The oldest bottle I found is from 1943.

ImageImage
Dodgy_Dave
Camping Veteran

Postby Pauly » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:46 pm

Have you got any from the dam wall proper?
Pauly
Post Machine!

Postby Dodgy_Dave » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:56 pm

I found a couple more on my camera.
Check out http://www.wyangalawaters.com.au for booking info and construction photo's

BTW The country club has the best tasting beer after a hot summers day, And Stick's cooks up a mean feast at the bistro.

Dodgy_Dave
Camping Veteran

Next

Return to NSW