Camping with Maya at Flanagans Reserve

Questions, answers, tips and more about camping with pets.

Re: Camping with Maya at Flanagans Reserve

Postby ScottyB » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:54 am

We just got back from Island Reach at Imbil and the one thing that ruined an otherwise excellent trip was the number of people that failed to comply with the one rule I was told when I entered the park ..... keep the dog on a leash.

Most of the dogs that were off the lead wandering around the place seemed placid, however I was awoken early one morning by the sound of the Jack Russell yelping only to look out the windows to see him being mauled by a much larger dog .... with it's owner standing there watching and by the time I put on some shorts and got out of the camper both owner and dog had quickly taken off. Our boy had nowhere to go because he was tied up on a run and got tangled under the car trying to escape. The little bloke only ended up with a gash out of his ear but he wasn't the same for the rest of the trip and quite unsettled.

Our dog has a bad habit of being an idiot when other dogs come near him and maybe he picked this fight and lost. But I never saw the owner of the other dog again, perhaps she didn't realise our dog was bleeding from the ear, but the bitter pill of the whole exercise was that if she had done what she told on entering the joint it wouldn't have happened at all.
ScottyB
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:14 am

There is always someone who will ruin it for all others Scott.

Personally if that had been me I would have tracked the dog owner down and made a point of showing her what had happened. I would also have told one of the managers the story as well; they can't do anything if they do not know.

It is not good what has happened to your boy and unfortunately he probably will not forget it.

My girl was mauled by a staffy when she was 11 months old. She was tied up and he wasn't and he took a piece out of her side...she is what I call 'shoe box size' a typical lap dog.

She actually bent the pole when she was tied to trying to get away from him and the result is that I have never been able to tie her up since.

If restraint is required I run a small fence right around my whole camp to keep her in…..not that she goes too far from mum.

I big beef with dog owners is those who do not pick up the 'barker eggs' and I am ever vigilant with that one. Again, those who don’t, spoil it for all of us who do the right thing.

Sorry to hear your story Scott.

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Pauly » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:50 pm

I never tie our dog up when we sleep for the reasons above. I found some heavy gauge wire compost bins in bunnings that measure about 1mtr by 1/2 mtre, we bought 2 and that makes a tempory dog cage, peg it to the ground throw a tarp over it leaving the front open then you have a secure cage.

I think they were about $20 each and fold down flat
Pauly
Post Machine!

Postby AussieSunset » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:22 pm

Sorry to hear about your boy Scott.
I would have done the same as GL and went to find the owner and the manager too. It's people like that that will ruin it for all of us who like to take their furry family members too and do the right thing.
My girl got attacked by an unleashed bigger dog and she's never been the same. Even after 7 years she still dont like to go back to that beach were it happened. Lucky for her she didn't get any cuts but she had a fair amount of swelling and soreness and then the mental trauma of it has stayed with her.
My girl sleeps in my tent and with me so another dog would have to go through the tent and me to get to her.
I really hope your boy still enjoys camping and hope it hasn't ruined that.
Life is what happens when you've made other plans. :)
AussieSunset
Blatant Padder

Postby ScottyB » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:33 pm

Thanks for your concerns but I think he will be alright long term ....

.... after all I taught him how to surf that very afternoon ........
Camping January 2009 102 (Small).jpg

And I worked out how to make images smaller!!!!!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ScottyB
Captain Camping

Postby Troyk » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:24 pm

My previous employer use to allow dogs at its campgrounds, but the claims for people injured by dogs meant that the insurance company would no longer cover for it. No more dogs.

People would make a claim against the campground owner (or their insurance) on the grounds that the owner had a duty of care to enforce the rules. Rangers can't be everywhere at once.

My current employer don't allow dogs either, but I dont know the reason.

The reality is that one day you wont be able to take your dog camping, because of these people (the irresponsible dog owner that is)
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby ScottyB » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:00 pm

But you are right Troy .... litigation has just about ruined everything that once upon a time we just put down to common sense. People bitch about insurance premiums, but those premiums are only based on statistics and probability, and unfortunately for us punters, the increase in litigation, small claims right through to massive lawsuits, has left some enterprises unable to operate as they used to and we the consumer suffer.
ScottyB
Captain Camping

Postby cokebottle » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:17 am

When we used to walk our Border Collie around the block as a pup, a snarly aggressive sausage dog used to always come out of house & chase our dog/us, we used to always cross to the other side of the road to avoid the dog.

One day we were a few houses down the rod from the bad dog's house & he comes running out of someone else's yard growling & barking at us! as it had been raining I had a golf umbrella with me & it was folded up, so I opened the umbrella in the dogs face!

Well little snarly sausage dog did not like that one bit! he ran off in the opposite direction to his house & disappeared around the corner, for all I know he is probably still running & that was over 15 years ago :*** :*** :*** :***

We never had any trouble from that dog again, we could walk past his house unmolested, in fact I don't remember ever seeing him again either ::()

To this day I still can see the look on his face then seeing his little sausage body running as fast as his little legs could carry him :*** :*** :*** :*** :*** :***

Michael
Last edited by cokebottle on Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
cokebottle
Blatant Padder

Postby cokebottle » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:27 am

Oh back on topic.....

We took our Border Collie camping once, we camped next to a creek & she would not stop going in & out of the water then coming up to us & shaking water all over us

We tried keeping her on a lead at night but she just whimpered & cried, so in the end, me the big softy let her sleep in the tent with us, sharing a two person dome tent with a wet dog all night is not fun

Here's my old Border Collie, she was about 14 years old when this photo was taken, she had cataracts on her eyes, was deaf & suffered arthritis on cold mornings, we had to have her put to sleep a few days after the picture was taken :(

The beagle in the background is Nemo, should have called him Houdini, because he was always getting out, but then again Nemo is a good name too, because we were always trying to find him ;)

Michael
cokebottle
Blatant Padder

Postby amanda » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:06 pm

I also had a Houdini beagle - she could break her way out of anywhere. I once had to pick her up from the Pet Motel on a very hot summers day, and back in those days we didn't have an air conditioned car so were driving along with all the windows down. I stopped at a T intersection ready to turn right, and at the same time another car stopped ready to turn left. The next thing I know she's leapt through the window \and landed on the lap of the poor bloke driving the other car! Apparently his wife just said in a very calm voice "Oh dear, I wonder where that came from?" I spent the rest of trip home in a sweltering car with all the windows up. She certainly caused me some headaches., but she was just oh so beautiful - I loved her dearly.
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt - then it's bloody hilarious!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Poodle Jewel » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:31 pm

My Fergie once jumped out when i stopped at the traffic lights,the look on the guys face behind me was like... what the ??.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Ricklanga » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:49 pm

ScottyB wrote:We just got back from Island Reach at Imbil and the one thing that ruined an otherwise excellent trip was the number of people that failed to comply with the one rule I was told when I entered the park ..... keep the dog on a leash.

We just returned from Andrew Drynan and one of our camper neighbours had a couple of Border Collies and a Jack Russell. Whenever the kids took our dog for a walk (on a leash) they were ran down by these dogs. The dogs weren't being vicious but it was still a bit scary. It was not pleasant watching the dogs crapping all over the place either and seeing the owners not doing anything about it.

The day will come unfortunately when you will have a difficult time finding anywhere to take your dogs and it will be the result of irresponsible people such as these.

--
Richard.
It always rains on tents. Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds for the opportunity to rain on a tent.
Ricklanga
Post Machine!

Postby Poodle Jewel » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:51 pm

Just not right is it? my car is full of those blue council I like bags so i can pick up when the need arises.My foxie escaped the other morning and pooped on one of the neighbours lawn so i went and picked it up in the hope that they would do the same,they let their dog out in the morning and it wanders up and down the street by itself and poops where ever.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:27 am

I am with you PJ, often make a point of picking up the 'barker eggs' in the hope that others will follow suit.

It must have been a bad weekend for it, it also happened where I was camping and the neighbours of the offending dogs complained about it to management after the event.

Personally if it had been me, I would have pointed it out to the offenders before I complained to management.

My mum is a good one, she will go up to them and tell them 'your dog just did an empty out over there' and then shows them. Fortunately she has never had a bad response.

I believe that everyone has the right to take their canine family camping but I sure do get pi$$ed off when they do not pick up their droppings.

Just as a point of interest for anyone who buys the 'doggie' plastic bags....I buy the el cheapo freezer bags and find that you get more value for your dollar.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Previous

Return to Camping with Pets