500W inverters

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

500W inverters

Postby ben... » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:55 pm

Im looking to buy a 500W inverter, ive been looking around a few sites, but though it wouldn't hurt to start a thread here a see what others have or any suggestions. More so the ones to stay away from.
ben...
Post Machine!

Re: 500W inverters

Postby stevo. » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:37 pm

I've used a Supercheapo 150W inverter for ages, mainly to charge phones and camera batteries while at camp, but now i have a laptop, the 150W seemed to work ok although i think the laptop requires approx 300W, so i just bought a 300W inverter from Repco, was about $80 i think, not sure if it's a good brand or not. I'd probably just run the laptop on the battery and then when it's low turn it off and recharge it on the inverter.

What stuff are you running?

Which ones are you looking at?
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby ben... » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:50 pm

yeah i have a cheap 100W but its not cutting the mustard now so looking to upgrade. Want to charge the laptop, and have just have a bit more scope in the inverter should i need it down the track. can get a MSW 500W for $150.00 which dosnt seem that bad to me.

http://www.sidewinder.com.au/page134.html
ben...
Post Machine!

Postby stevo. » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:54 pm

I looked at your link there. Sounds normal. They have a 600W inverter for $150 at Repco. I wonder if they're all just pretty similiar in quality anyway... and even made in the same Chinese factory.
stevo.

Postby Troyk » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:14 pm

Ben, you can buy 12volt chargers for laptops. I bought one from Jaycar for about $50. I think I saw them at supercheap.

The question you have to ask yourself is, why do I need 240v? Can I do the same thing with 12v?

The problem going from AC to DC is that the inverter simulates the sine wave, and it can damage some appliances.
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby markannab » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:37 am

Yes, as just mentioned Sine wave inverters puts out a smoother flow of power (that's tech speak :o ) than that other type (more tech speak :-bang ). Not too much of a problem for most things. From what I understand (and have done), the non-sine wave type is fine for charging your laptop if the laptop is turned off during charging. But if you want to operate your laptop while it's plugged in, then the sine wave type is necessary.
Freelance Design, Printing and Rubber Stamps: http://www.worldofprinting.com
markannab
Captain Camping

Postby stevo. » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:34 am

Troyk wrote:Ben, you can buy 12volt chargers for laptops. I bought one from Jaycar for about $50. I think I saw them at supercheap.

The question you have to ask yourself is, why do I need 240v? Can I do the same thing with 12v?

The problem going from AC to DC is that the inverter simulates the sine wave, and it can damage some appliances.

TroyK is a legend!

Don't know why i didn't think of doing that, but i took your suggestion and have just been to Jaycar and bought the "Power Tech Plus - Auto Laptop Power Supply" .... $57.95 - 150Watts - has different Voltage settings etc.

Dude in the shop said to find out what Watts your thing needs, mulitply the Volts by the Amps... so my laptop is 19V x 4.74A = 90.06 Watts. Does that sound right? I don't have a clue when it comes to electronicals.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stevo.

Postby ben... » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:08 pm

most laptop power supplies have the watts on them, if you want to be sure that is enough (is that the point your making?)
is that a little fan in it for cooling as well?
ben...
Post Machine!

Postby stevo. » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:25 pm

yeah i've looked at the power supply and also the bottom of the laptop and can't find anything about the Watts so i don't know what watts it needs.

It's not a fan, it's just the moulding of the plastic, maybe it's too help disperse heat, or maybe just a design thing.

PS. sorry for invading your inverter thread. I would still use my inverter because i have 10 million things to plug in to it, otherwise i'd have to buy new car chargers for everything, which i guess might be possible.
stevo.

Postby Troyk » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:34 pm

I have a HP notebook and the details are actually on the battery. Pull it out and have a look. :grin:

What I found out on my recent trip is that the notebook can pulls some real amps. :shock:
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Return to Gear Guide