lighting

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

lighting

Postby tripecarrier » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:13 pm

couple of years back my troopy and i acted as pack horse for 5 motorbikes across the simpson. i really enjoyed the trip, although the sandhills got rather tiresome. driving (very fatigued) into the driveway i heard a loud noise and had no idea what it was. it ended up being the 9kg gas bottle taking out half the ceiling in my carport. :--? now that i am going to do some camping again, i have decided to try without gas. cooking seems fine, i have one of the green coleman 2 burners that run off the green canisters and 2 of the $20 cheapies plus camp oven and mini weber. i'm not sure how economical using the canisters over gas bottles is though. my main concern is lighting. i know that the gas powered lights are excellent. i am wondering if any one knows how many portable flouros/led's would be required to light a campsite.
tripecarrier

Re: lighting

Postby Redback » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:40 am

tripecarrier wrote:couple of years back my troopy and i acted as pack horse for 5 motorbikes across the simpson. i really enjoyed the trip, although the sandhills got rather tiresome. driving (very fatigued) into the driveway i heard a loud noise and had no idea what it was. it ended up being the 9kg gas bottle taking out half the ceiling in my carport. :--? now that i am going to do some camping again, i have decided to try without gas. cooking seems fine, i have one of the green coleman 2 burners that run off the green canisters and 2 of the $20 cheapies plus camp oven and mini weber. i'm not sure how economical using the canisters over gas bottles is though. my main concern is lighting. i know that the gas powered lights are excellent. i am wondering if any one knows how many portable flouros/led's would be required to light a campsite.

2, I have one Narva Fluro and normally one for the camper when sitting around the fire.

Baz.
01 Discovery TD5 Locked & Lifted & Redback Country Camper Trailer
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.
Peter Lalor
Redback
Blatant Padder

Postby Pauly » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:35 am

I found some good leds on ebay HERE

2ea2_1_sbl.JPG

We got 4 72cm ones for the whole camp. 2 inside the camper 1 over the cooking area and 1 on a long lead to either put over eating area or cable tie to a tarp pole that lights up the area. They draw next to no power so if you can either get a drycell 12v battery or use your car they will cover it all.

This is 1 under the tarp

stuff 0961.jpg

I put those cheap wick style laterns under it with citronella in it for the bugs
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pauly
Post Machine!

Postby ben... » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:58 pm

how fragile are they paul? do you have them perm fixed?
ben...
Post Machine!

Postby Pauly » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:40 pm

The lights themselves are in like a pvc rubbery sealed strip which makes them very tough. Their only down point is the wiring, its very thin and weak and I pulled a wire out of the sealed section so now I fix the wires.

I cut the wire about 1 or 2 inches from the light then solder in another wire, cable tiw both the old and new wire to the strip and valla you have a strong light. The 2 we have in the camper are fixed, cable ties to the roof support bars. The ones we use under the tarp have connectors on them so we can put them where we want and unplug them when we pack up.
I just used the inline style switches like you see on reading lamps.

I run a rope where I want the light then cable tie it to the rope. You can see the 2 black cable ties holding the light and also the switch is circled.

lightSwitch.jpg

Inside the camper I have 2 switches 1 for the inside and 1 for the outside so when we go to bed we turn the outside lights on at the outside switch so we can then turn them off and of from bed in case the kids need to get up or the boss hears a noise :roll:

I am going to buy some smaller ones say 10 led for inside the camper itself, under the bed area on light switches like in a car, lift the lid the light comes on sort of thing.

Lighting was always a problem for us, we've had gas lamps, those led lights with the magnets on the back, flouros everything but now we just use the led strips, 1 kero tilly lamp and the garden solar lights for the ropes, theres a torch for toilet runs etc but my girls have those cap lights and the torch is nearly obsolete.

When all the cooking etc is done we just have the cintronella wick lamp burning under the tarp for a little light with the esky etc and the bugs.

I ment to take a picture of our camp at night, it was funny at night people would stop on the road above, must look like a ufo landing site with 12 solar around the ropes and the glow from under the tarp, but it works.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pauly
Post Machine!

Postby HGMonaro » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:02 pm

Paul, that's a great picture of your camp.
HGMonaro
Blatant Padder

Postby Pauly » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:34 pm

Thanks, its pretty blury because I did it free hand no flash. I was experimenting trying to get a natural night setting. I will try it again with a tripod and all the led solars set up.
Pauly
Post Machine!

Postby Troyk » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:39 pm

I got two of these from Jaycar. I was surprised by the amount of light they produced. I permanently fixed them with cable ties to the main upright in the camper trailer, facing inwards, to provide light inside. When packed they ain't in the way. Not fragile at all.

Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby ben... » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:32 pm

Troyk wrote:I got two of these from Jaycar. I was surprised by the amount of light they produced. I permanently fixed them with cable ties to the main upright in the camper trailer, facing inwards, to provide light inside. When packed they ain't in the way. Not fragile at all.

Troy can you link me for those lights? been trying to dig through the jaycar site but cant see to track them down.
ben...
Post Machine!

Postby Troyk » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:45 pm

Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:56 pm

I have one of those permanently fixed inside my camper and a second which hangs suspended in the extended annex.

Had them in my old camper too....very good performers.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby brownie » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:26 pm

hi my name is paul
just let u know i have some led lights that i make for sale
if u like to have a look.
there is a photo in the " business directory " section on the main page
under 12volt & 240 led lights hope this helps u
brownie
Boy Scout

Postby brownie » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:46 pm

the leds lights can be made in different lengths
Each strip is $75 + Postage - 12 volt power supply is $13 when posted With lights - 240 Volt power supply $28 when posted With lights
brownie
Boy Scout

Postby Bill snd Morag » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:25 pm

We use one of these above the bed in the ct.
http://www.raysoutdoors.com.au/product/ ... t+Fluro/68
We just plug it into the power point on the ct.
We use a Coleman single mantle lpg lantern outside the ct.
And for running around in the dark we have plenty of flashlights and headlamps...
Bill and Morag
Bill snd Morag
Captain Camping

Postby crocodile » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:38 pm

Under the tarp, there's nothing like the gentle hiss the old tilley. Kicks the arse out of any fluoro.
Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes !
crocodile
Camping King

Next

Return to Gear Guide