Weather Proofing

General Discussion, tips and questions and answer on Camper Trailers. Buy and sell below in Vehicles for Sale.

Weather Proofing

Postby amanda » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:42 am

Following a wet weekend away, I guess I can now state that my CT has had a thorough soaking, which a few of you have said is necessary to "weather" new ones. With that now done (thanks to Mother Nature), should I now be applying any sort of weather proof coatings or sprays?
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt - then it's bloody hilarious!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Re: Weather Proofing

Postby mr_grumble » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:02 pm

Did it leak ?

Like my Grandfather once said, "If it aint broke, don't fix it" ;)

I think most canvas on CT's already comes pre-treated either by the canvas manufacturer or the CT manufacturer. Either way, by applying more proofing, it can have the opposite affect, can damage the existing coating.

When it initially started to rain, did the canvas look as though it was repelling the rain drops or did it just soak straight in ?

Ours came pre-treated and when I was enquiring about adding more (to be safe ;) ) I was told the above and that usually its just a good idea to have one of those waterproofing sticks you see in some camping outlets ( I think it's just a wax stick), to keep moisture from the zippers and to combat any future leaks, god forbid ::()
Image Image Image
mr_grumble
Post Machine!

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:05 pm

The answer is 'no' Amanda, don't put anything on it and risk losing the natural canvas ability to repel water.

One would normally only treat canvas if it has been subjected to some de waterproofing, like the use of detergent or similar.

There are some canvases that need a thorough wetting down more than once to season them, yours appears not to be one.

Cheers.....
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby amanda » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:27 am

mr_grumble wrote:Did it leak ?

There were a couple of very minor leaks - small amounts of water running down the poles. I ended up with a puddle in the middle of the annexe floor, but that was only because someone didn't zip the door up properly before we went to bed the night it pelted down.
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt - then it's bloody hilarious!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Redback » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:23 am

amanda wrote:
mr_grumble wrote:Did it leak ?

There were a couple of very minor leaks - small amounts of water running down the poles. I ended up with a puddle in the middle of the annexe floor, but that was only because someone didn't zip the door up properly before we went to bed the night it pelted down.

If this is the case Amanda, leave it, as long as it dried after it was soaked by the rain, that should have seasoned it.

It sounds as though it was good, no leaks from the seams is good, so it should be OK.

Baz.
01 Discovery TD5 Locked & Lifted & Redback Country Camper Trailer
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.
Peter Lalor
Redback
Blatant Padder

Postby jaggededge » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:53 pm

hi guys
just some basic info to help people out (if needed)

yes canvas when it comes from manufacter is waterproofed and as long the correct canvas and thread is used when canvas shrink and thread expands from gettin wet then dry it should seal some minor leaks may occur on a "backstitch" which is used to lock the stitching off so your valued camper does not fall apart. (backstitch = start sewing then back and fowards to lock off.. when you go back then foward the sewing machine usually pulls the last hole tight so instead of having a circle hole from the neddle you have a oval hole from the tight stitching.) so in theory your campertrailer tent should be waterproofed but in saying that we are puttin hundred of holes in canvas and vinyl..

but if your camper does leak after the first few times it gets wet go and see the manufacturer (that made ur camper or a canvas shop) and ask about waterproofing as there is a liquid that is the same as the waterproofin on ur canvas now..

thanks jon
jaggededge

Postby Poodle Jewel » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:51 am

Yes i would say no Amanda,i have a canvas tent that got very wet on my trips last year and i have just left it.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Return to Camper Trailers