What electrical appliances do you take with you camping?

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

What electrical appliances do you take with you camping?

Postby Pauly » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:21 am

Hi All

Just a Q about what appliances people take camping that need electricity.

Just curious as to why a generator is needed and thought it would be interesting to see who takes what, don't be shy.
Pauly
Post Machine!

Re: What electrical appliances do you take with you camping?

Postby Poodle Jewel » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:47 am

I do to do more unpowered sites now but occassionally i go powered,if it is summer i take a fan,i just cannot sleep without it,of course the jug and toaster,but my favourite cooking appliance is a deep electric round fry pan with a glass dome lid, it roasts,bakes,steams, i cooked toasted sambos in it,it`s the best.
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Troyk » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:10 am

I run everything off 12v. If we have a powered site might then run things like the fridge on 240v.

A lot of people use the generator to top up the battieries as opposed to running directly off the generator. Had thought about getting one, but considering the places you can actually use them, ended going solar.
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:16 pm

I have both solar and gennie...gennie for back up in inclement weather. Had to use the gennie once over this last weekend due to inclement weather but only for about 2 hours and in the middle of the day. Used the gennie to charge the batteries only not to run appliances.

If I am choosing a powered site as I did at xmas time I take a fan, electric jug and pop up toaster. If in winter as when I camped at Stanthorpe in June I take a fan heater in place of the fan.

I have an 'electric' bag setup and ready to go for the times I book a powered site and only book a powered site if available and camping in the longer term.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby markannab » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:23 pm

We carry a 1kv generator. My wife sometimes takes a rice cooker because we often have rice as the basis for many of our meals. We also use it to recharge batteries on the cameras, laptop and rechargable lantern.
Freelance Design, Printing and Rubber Stamps: http://www.worldofprinting.com
markannab
Captain Camping

Postby Troyk » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:08 pm

markannab wrote:We also use it to recharge batteries on the cameras, laptop....

Not a good idea, unless the generator has a good surge protector I'm afraid.
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Postby Ozzycamperboy » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:00 pm

Pauly wrote:Hi All

Just a Q about what appliances people take camping that need electricity.

Just curious as to why a generator is needed and thought it would be interesting to see who takes what, don't be shy.

12V Fridge, camera and lately, my Iriver. Go camping to get away from it all not bring it with you.

Personally I'd like to make it a law that whoever takes a genie to a campsite where other people are staying are shot, but some of them are pretty quiet, and so long as its for short periods of time and during the day... i spose they are bearable :evil:
Life's too short to be grumpy, SMILE :mrgreen:
PM me for all your window cleaning, pressure cleaning, and commercial cleaning needs!!
Nathan's Window Cleaning
Ozzycamperboy
Site Admin

Postby markannab » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:11 am

Yes, I'm very careful with our four-stroke. I position it so the exhaust is pointing as much away from other campers as possible, locate it on the best side of the campsite maybe using my car as a shield for the sound and try to choose a part of the day when there is a lot of noise and activity anyway. I then limit it to about 30 minutes maximum. And this is done once every 4 days or so.
Freelance Design, Printing and Rubber Stamps: http://www.worldofprinting.com
markannab
Captain Camping

Postby Redback » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:30 am

We only have a couple of items that need 240v, a Nebulizer for our daughter and the battery charger, both of these i run from an inverter, a pure wave for the Nebulizer and a cheapy for the charger.

The nebulizer won't run off the inverter unless the car is running, so i will park it somewhere that is as little of an inconvenience to others as possible, Nessie only needs about 20mins on it and it's once in a blue moon, the charger will run all night off the cars auxillary battery through the inverter if needed, but normally the solar panel we have does the job when sunny, every other item we have is either gas or 12v.

We can go 10 or more days doing it this way, you don't a popup toaster or an electric fan for heat in winter or a fan for summer there are lots of 12v fans and gas heaters out there and also griller type gas stoves for toast or grilling stuff.

If we do go to a van park and get a powered site, we will use the 3 way on 240v to save gas and use the 240v lights we carry to save on battery usage, our 12v & 240v lights are interchangable and of coarse to charge things up.

Baz.
01 Discovery TD5 Locked & Lifted & Redback Country Camper Trailer
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.
Peter Lalor
Redback
Blatant Padder

Postby xmasbaby67 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:18 am

The only electricial applicances we take with us are jug, toaster and fluro. This is only when we stay on a powered site. Our fridge runs off the dual battery in the Prado but will plug it into mains if staying on powered site.
When bush camping (3-4 nights) we dont take any electrical stuff as we HATE generators and the constant noise. :evil:
In the bush we get by with the fridge(dual battery powered), 110lt & 55ltr esky lined with block ice in milk containers(which will last nearly a week in the big esky and 5 days in the smaller one). We also freeze our meat which also helps. We take 3 fully charged lights and a couple of touch lights for the kids in the CT(run on AA's) and torches for toilet runs in the night. So far we have not needed power when bush camping as most stuff can be done on the campfire (I loooove campfires). Also our bush camping is done mostly in the cooler months when we can have a fire. :armsup
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Komodo » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:52 pm

Fridge which runs off second battery in the vehicle

all other appliances are gas or battery powered. Battery powered items all can be charged in the car whilst driving / exploring.

Generator I have but have never used it camping - too big and I don't like carrying it in the car (fumes). That said I camped next to a mate who built a camper and had his generator going until late in the night - I didnt even know he had a generator till he started talking about watching a DVD the night before! it was one of the honda inverters and he had build a box around it and extended the muffler.
He is setting it up to do a lap of hwy1 and wants to be able to run his AC all night off the generator without disturbing fellow campers at the road side camping spots around the nation.

Seriously was the quietest generator ive ever heard! (or not heard...?)
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Jo&Kev » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:38 pm

We take a little bit of stuff that runs on 240V/12V like lights and the fridge. If we have a powered site we will run the 240V capable stuff on 240V. If we are unpowered the we use the cigarette lighter socket on the side of the jump starter thing or even AA batteries for the lights - fridge is 3-Way so goes to gas. I don't think we take anything that is 240V only with us wherever we are camping other than the camera battery charger.

I don't particularly like or dislike generators, but because we are already set up to do unpowered comfortably I don't see us ever bothering with one, mainly because I could use the money to for other fun stuff - like fuel and camping fees! I keep suggesting for a new car but the idea keeps getting nixed. :x

Kev
Our blog - with bigger pics!
http://actnswcamping.blogspot.com/
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Postby Poodle Jewel » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:09 pm

Come on Kev, be a sport and buy Jo that new car. ;)
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:36 pm

My take on that comment is that it is Kev who wants the new car and Jo is putting the brakes on...
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Derek Bullock » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:04 pm

No electrical appliances for me. ::()
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Next

Return to Gear Guide