QLD-Peach Trees (incl Overflow) Jan 2009

QLD-Peach Trees (incl Overflow) Jan 2009

Postby Troyk » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:02 am

We just spent 5 days camping at Peach Trees and is still one of our favourite, and being 550m above sea level it was also a bit cooler for the summer months.

Peach Trees is a QNPWS campground within the Jimna State Forest. The campground is approx 4km north of the Jimna township, which is about 45km north of Kilcoy.

The campground is an open grassy area amongst the trees, and is a great place to kick back and have a rest under one of the shady trees.

There are two amentity buildings. The first one has toilets, showers (which require 20c coins, 20c lasts 1 min) and even has a public phone.

Phone. the out of order relates to the screen on the phone, the phone still worked.

The amentity block, toilets only

There is a flood mark half way up the wall of the building, when it flooded in 1989

If you look at this photo you see the building on the left and camping area on the right, so there would have been a fair bit of water.

There is now a 4t limit on the bridge that you cross going into the campground. If you exceed that you need to use the overflow camping area which is now left open. I have some pics later on of the overflow.

The problem is that garbage trucks weigh more than 4t so the bins are now located outside the park before the bridge. Peach Trees entrance to the right and the turnoff to the overflow is on the left.

There are tables arond the park

There are a number of firepits scattered around as well

They no longer supply firewood, but you can buy it locally. You can get a 40kg bag for $10 in Jimna or a 25kg bag for $5 on the orad from Kilcoy (GPS- S26 46.642 E152 27.996 ) In the above photo we had two 25kg bags.
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy

Re: QLD-Peach Trees (incl Overflow) Jan 2009

Postby Troyk » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:05 am

Some shots of the campground.

Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
Troyk

Postby Troyk » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:08 am

Overflow Camping Area

The overflow area, which I mentioned earlier, is now open.

Lets say its pretty basic, has toilets but nothing else, but you will most likely has the place to yourself.

The toilets

Troyk

Postby Troyk » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:17 am

Some more photos around the ground

Eastern Grey Kangaroos, always around

C-o-c-katoos. They were an excellent alarm clock

Honeyeaters

Noisy Myna

Flower, probalby a weed

Plenty of cows around. Can't be too old for a drink from Mum.

Swimming Hole

Troyk

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:00 am

BBBBeautiful Troy.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Derek Bullock » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:04 am

Wow, I don't think I have ever seen so few people there. This is still one of my favourites in south east Queensland.

Troy, did you notice if there was any mobile phone coverage.

Derek
Derek Bullock
Camp Oven KING!

Postby Troyk » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:25 am

Derek, the photos are little deceiving as they were taken after we arrived last monday. On Tuesday quite a few people turned up. Probalby had 60people or so each night. The rangers said between Christmas and new years it was close to being packed.

No mobile reception at the ground or at Peach Trees. Found a spot about 11km south of Jimna, when the blackberry started beeping. Got reasonable reception (telstra) and even had wireless broadband coverage (ok on optus) so was able to surf the net. I have had reception on telecom hill at LCMP, so its about finding the right spot.

Troyk

Postby R&D17 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:09 pm

Hi Troyk, I have been reading some good stuff about Peach Trees and your pics have sold it for us, we are heading Brisbane way in March so am thinking about stopping over for a night or 2 mid week. Could you tell me how you go about booking for this site?

Thanks

Debbie
R&D17

Postby Troyk » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:20 pm

Troyk

Postby kazzakanary » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:54 pm

We LOVE Peach Trees!
The water hole is ice cold and the 20c showers are heaven at the end of a hot day!
kazzakanary
Camping Oracle

Postby R&D17 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:16 pm

Troyk wrote:Debbie you can book here

https://www.epa.qld.gov.au/parks/iapark ... kParkId=18

Thanks for that, we have just picked up our new camper so just need to pack it up and away we can go and will def make sure we make it to Peach Trees

:cheers
R&D17

Postby TBF » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:57 pm

Great photos Troy

We love Peach Trees
As Derek said, where are all the campers?
It is usually packed at Christmas and long weekends.

Aart
TBF
Camping Veteran

Postby ben... » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:08 pm

heading from brisbane is the best way just to head upto kilcory that go up from there? thats what it looks like on the map, but if someone has a quicker way im all ears.
ben...
Post Machine!

Postby Troyk » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:09 pm

ben... wrote:heading from brisbane is the best way just to head upto kilcory that go up from there? thats what it looks like on the map, but if someone has a quicker way im all ears.

Up the Bruce Hwy, take D'Aguilar exit just past the Caboolture turn off and then head west to Kilcoy, and then head north to Jimna. Just past Jimna is the turn off to Peach Trees. You will see the fire tower on the left. Last 4kms is dirt.

From my place its 168km. With the roadworks going on its about a 2 1/2 hour trip.

Kilcoy has a good bakery! :armsup

You can go via Somerset Dam, buts it more the scenic route.

Troyk

Postby ben... » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:22 pm

thank troy, havnt been up there since i was a kid, so never actually driven up there. Im sure it will all come back to me when on the road as it normally does. Hopefully TOM (My tom tom) will help me along the way.
ben...
Post Machine!

Next

Return to Queensland